My Beautiful Buddy Hung At The Groomers ....how Can This Happen ;(

Cazstaff

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caz I am shedding a tear yet again for you, Leah and Buddy. I have also shared your story with those I know who use grooming salons and I wish there was more I could do.

Still thinking of you...

I dont know who Plutopup is but I give them credit for speaking up!!:thumbsup:

I also know of another little dog (Pekinese) who was left severely handicapped by this salon and I do wonder how many more victims that there are??

RIP Buddy

There were 4 staff on including the owner, this is not a once off for this salon.

I morn for Buddy everyday even though I didn't know him, a innocent lost at the hands of negligence.

What do you mean?

Plutopup, I note you have one post only, being this one.

Are you the groomer, or maybe owner?

Could you share your story with us please?

RIP Buddy, Sleep forever sweetly beautiful man.

I can't see where Plutopup has said anything? Am I missing something?

This has happened twice in the same saloon on the north side of Canberra.

Could you kindly PM me the name of the Canberra salon? My sister lives there and I don't want her taking her dog there! Did those cases result in the death of the dogs?

This is more widespread than people understand - I have seen it happen myself. Once when I went into a large grooming salon to enquire about services and the girl left a small dog on the bench to come to the counter. I expressed concern at the dog being left tied up on the bench and she said "Don't worry he's good". Next thing of course the dog jumped off and hung there for a few seconds before freeing himself - I left in shock. I always regret not ringing the manager of that salon later. I am sure the owner of the dog was not told about what happened and might have had a dog with a sore neck - none the wiser :mad

Sorry Caz - I don't mean to distress you further but people need to get the message out there.

This has happened twice in the same saloon on the north side of Canberra.

It would be good to know which salon this is (and indeed which salon is responsible for Buddy's death).

I agree. If this industry isn't regulated and the owners aren't self-regulating then all we have left to us is word of mouth. If a salon owner wants to challenge that then all they need to do is explain how they have actively responded to previous issues that have arisen and show some evidence that they care about dogs placed in their care, the standard of their salon and staff and the quality of their work.

I understand how Caz may not be able to share details of the salon she went to in case she is pursuing things legally, but street and suburb names of any salons where dogs have been negligently placed at risk could help other dog owners at least assess/question any salon in that area that they may be thinking of using.

This has also reminded me of the reason I joined DOL. A heavily matted Keeshond had been left in the care of my elderly parents and needed rehoming, so a breeder friend posted on DOL for me and I joined to see what other assistance might be available on here for homeless pure bred dogs. His owners had been thrown out of their accom and eventually fessed up that they were unlikely to be taking the dog back. We asked them to at least take him to the groomers and have his matting attended to. Whoever they took him to shore him back to his skin so badly that he suffered severe razor burn all over his boy bits. We had to take him to the vet so it could be treated as he was in so much pain. I tried to find out who the groomer was so I could contact them about it but the original owners were hard to track down.

Guest Panzer Attack!

:(

Two points - firstly, I am disgusted and horrified that not only has this salon had something similar happen before - but it's happened multiple times in other salons?! Why are these places still OPEN??

PLEASE do not lump all groomers into the one basket. This kind of mentality is why registered breeders are held in low regard by so many people, this forum among all others should understand how damaging it is when you fit a one size fits all mentality to situations such as this. Many professional groomers post on this forum, love dogs, love their work and take PRIDE in how well they treat their dogs. We are all as disgusted by the treatment of Buddy (and the nameless other beloved animals) as you are.

. Whoever they took him to shore him back to his skin so badly that he suffered severe razor burn all over his boy bits. We had to take him to the vet so it could be treated as he was in so much pain. I tried to find out who the groomer was so I could contact them about it but the original owners were hard to track down.

In all fairness have you ever clipped off a dog that is o matted ??

We have clipped of dogs that are so matted to the skin the blades struggle to get throw the coat,the skin it self has already suffered so much irration from the matts pulling that its already fragile .

In some cases the matts are so bad you have to sit there patiently with scissors creating openings to even try & get the blades through so yes the chance of razor rash is highly increased when dogs have been so neglected by owners.

I dare so his boy bits where matted to his stomach,wouldn't be the first time & we have groomed males that where so matted down there that there urine infact was trapped in the matting causing awful rashes & soreness & a penis so infected & sore its criminal.

I do think some people need to take a step back sometimes about pointing the finger & remember what some groomers have to deal with without any thanks but alot of accusations.

There are certainly many shonks out there but that applies to all industries but there are alot of amazing groomers out there that have to deal with dogs that many average person has no understanding off & often think it should be a very simple task.

Clipping matted dogs is hard work & one all groomers dread as you patiently have to check for many things you cant see or even feel for

In an ideal world any groomer doesn't want to create rashes BUT when it comes to severely matted dogs it can sometimes be unavoidable .

Edited by showdog

Guest crickets

Whoever they took him to shore him back to his skin so badly that he suffered severe razor burn all over his boy bits.[/b] We had to take him to the vet so it could be treated as he was in so much pain. I tried to find out who the groomer was so I could contact them about it but the original owners were hard to track down.

In all fairness have you ever clipped off a dog that is o matted ??

We have clipped of dogs that are so matted to the skin the blades struggle to get throw the coat,the skin it self has already suffered so much irration from the matts pulling that its already fragile .

In some cases the matts are so bad you have to sit there patiently with scissors creating openings to even try & get the blades through so yes the chance of razor rash is highly increased when dogs have been so neglected by owners.

I dare so his boy bits where matted to his stomach,wouldn't be the first time & we have groomed males that where so matted down there that there urine infact was trapped in the matting causing awful rashes & soreness & a penis so infected & sore its criminal.

I do think some people need to take a step back sometimes about pointing the finger & remember what some groomers have to deal with without any thanks but alot of accusations.

There are certainly many shonks out there but that applies to all industries but there are alot of amazing groomers out there that have to deal with dogs that many average person has no understanding off & often think it should be a very simple task.

Clipping matted dogs is hard work & one all groomers dread as you patiently have to check for many things you cant see or even feel for

In an ideal world any groomer decent groom doesn't want to create rashes BUT when it comes to severely matted dogs it can sometimes be unavoidable .

I concur!

It is absolutely astonishing what we see hey :mad

Some of the double coated dogs in particular such as Samoyed & Keeshond come to us in almost unimaginable condition felted to the skin. Most of these dogs have next to zero tolerance for grooming and will scream and dance about if you even show them a brush! No groomer should put a dog through that so clipping is the only alternative. Even if the dog was sedated it would still be unethical to groom out some of the very bad double coats we see, as the skin will be badly bruised and knocked about as a result. Unfortunately once they get to a certain point, they have to be shaved, which I personally hate doing, but better than the alternative. Even shaving can be traumatic to the dogs skin in these very bad cases but it has to be done, as the coat simply has to come off. We usually find sores, urine & fecal burns, imbedded seeds etc under these coats, and worse! Dogs with severely matted ears sometimes develop haematoma within minutes of being shaved down because the matts were restricting blood flow to the ear leather. Once the matt is released the blood flow rapidly returns to the fine blood vessels in the leather and whammo you have a haematoma. Compounded with vigorous head shaking because the dog feels so strange without the heavy matts on it ears and it's an instant disaster.....one that cannot be avoided because the matts has to be shaved down, and in no way the groomers fault.....

Some of the worse we have done where Keeshonds

We did on OES cross that took 2 of us 4 hrs to clip off it was so matted .

But this isn't what the topic is about & what happened in the OP case is totally groomer/salon fault but as already mentioned don't lump all groomers into the bad basket because i can guarantee most who whinge & say they groom there own dogs now have no idea what the greater majority of clients dogs come in .

I love being a groomer but each year i get more disappointed in the laziness of owners who claim to be dog lovers & brings dogs in such appalling conditions

Unfortunately I have never owned a dog that required attendance at a groomers (I used to keep my OES brushed regularly and never had any matting) and I did mean to add that the main person responsible for the keeshond's condition was the owners who never brushed him (or fed him properly or wormed him, etc) but I did want to speak to the groomer who shore him to ask if this was normal and how it could be avoided as I did appreciate how difficult clearing his matting must have been (he had red bits on his back as well from the clipping) but was still dissappointed that the razor rash was so severe to require vet treatment.

I have a salon I go to for toenails and malaseb baths who I love. She in turn loves dogs so is doing a job she enjoys. Please don't think I have a general issue with groomers. I also don't think Danny's Darling thinks negatively of groomers either - she has several rescue swf's so I know she uses them. Both she and I are very fond of Cazstaff so might be coming off as a bit protective and anti-groomers so I apologise if it feels you are under attack.

I personally have a great deal of respect for groomers snd the important service they provide and appreciate they would have to bite their tongue and deal with neglected and difficult dogs as a result of neglectful and difficult owners. This thread to me is simply an eye opener of what can and has happened and how easily tragedy can be avoided by common sense. I would hope the bad groomers/salons would only be a small percentage of those that exist but I would still like to see them either pushed to upgrade their equipment and skills or move on to non-pet related careers if they really don't care for their charges.

I'm sure word of mouth about good groomers works just the same/quickly as it would for bad pet services.

I found some pics on my camera I had forgotten about. They were taken Christmas eve, just 2 weeks before Buddy died.

It was rawhide bones all round for my fur family, arent they beautiful :heart:

P1110236_zpsba3b3d03.jpg

Buddy's turn

P1110246_zps49543620.jpg

He loved a bone..

P1110269_zpse5c7d41b.jpg

He would follow me around with it proudly

P1110261_zps59fdb1b8.jpg

P1110280_zps1220ceb7.jpg

I hope no one minds me sharing these, I loved him so much and so did his pack.