80kg Rottweilers - Is This Legit?

Simply Grand

So some acquaintances of mine tell me they are getting a Rotti pup shortly, the bitch is currently pregnant.

Apparently these breeders (I don't know who they are) breed from German lines to produce very large dogs. The sire of this litter is apparently 80kgs, the dam around 70kg. The phrase "nice big heads" also came up.

Anyone know if there are reputable breeders around producing Rottis that big? Can they even be pure bred?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Australian Standard http://www.ankc.org.au/Breed_Details.aspx?bid=173:

Height at withers for males is 61-68 cm (24-26 * ins)

61-62 cm is small

63-64 cm is medium

65-66 cm is large , correct height

67-68 cm is very large

Weight approximately 50 kg (110lbs)

Height at withers for bitches is 56-63 cm (22-25 ins)

56-57 cm is small

58-59 cm is medium height

60-61 cm is large , correct height

62-63 cm is very large

Weight approximately 42 kg (95 lbs)

I know Alyosha! I pointed out that males are meant to be around 50kg and that 80kg would be incredibly huge.

Mm, these people want a biiiig dog some I'm sure they are meaning and wanting an 80kg dog. Maybe they have misunderstood what the breeder has told them (hopefully...)

Oh, and as an idea - I have a male here (Neo) who is at the top end of the acceptable height - he is 50kg, and a female (Nova) who is at the top end of the acceptable height for a bitch, and she is 40kg.

There is a "breed" (said very loosely) called the "Roman rottweiler" - which is basically the rottweiler version of the "teacup" for small dogs - a bastardisation of the breed to make the largest possible version (might involve crossing with Mastiff's, can't remember) - they are not bred by reputable breeders.

Arrrgh, I knew it sounded dodgy but thought I should check before I jumped to conclusions.

I will keep chipping away at them, and ask them for more details of these "breeders", and slip in comments about health. They are a couple in their 20s who are nice and quite good dog owners I think (they have a 5 mth old Husky girl atm - yes adding a Rotti pup now is a concern in itself) but they have these ideas in their heads, especially the guy, sigh...

They won't listen if I just say they're making a mistake so I try to pick my battles and encourage them to at least appropriately train the Husky and now the Rotti.

The only people I ever hear sprouting such weights and rot about heads are BYBs.

I have seen a few males of that weight and they are either incredibly oversized or over weight or both. Neither is a good thing and certainly nothing to brag about.

Ask them if they want a Rottweiler that looks and behaves like a Rottweiler or just a big, badly bred dog that is going to be more likely to have health and temperament issues than one purchased from a reputable registered breeder?

Personally I would highly recommend they steer clear of these "breeders"

Maybe get them to meet a Mastiff or similar that is actually nearer that size and see if they are aware of it's sheer size, food and medical requirements etc. Even just wormers and flea treatments etc are so much more for very heavy dogs. It's certainly a massive investment.

You might also add that all Rottweiler lines originated from German and that breeders saying using German lines breeds bigger dogs is crap. Even the best known biggest winning dogs in Germany are not big, they are within breed standard as posted a few posts ago.

Dogs from this breeder would be laughed at by German Rottweiler wardens.

They do seem to take some pride in the fact that their Husky girl is pedigree PB (apparently) so I will ask about the credentials of these Rotti "breeders". Maybe the idea of their dog not being respected by other Rotti owners will get through to them :shrug:

Eta - just saw your last post dyz, maybe this is a good tack :thumbsup:

Also I was just talking to them the other day about the costs of the various medical requirements for multiple dogs and bigger dogs, and explaining what flea, worm, tick treatments actually do.

I wish they'd join DOL! I keep encouraging them.

Edited by Simply Grand

On the plus side, I wouldn't be surprised if the breeder is lying about the weights of their animals just to appeal to people who want "giant tough Rotts"... Not a big plus I know :(

Quite possibly, which makes it even worse, because good breders that are approached by the types of prospective puppy people that request this type of dog are inevitably turned away... so it is not saying much about these breeders.

Surely this guy would feel his ego was being better stroked if he was on the end of a lead of a beautiful representative of his chosen breed, rather than a misplaced example. Try appealing to his materialistic side rather than his macho side. :D

Edited by dyzney

I'll throw the spanner in the works ... OH did have a monster rottweiler, I have seen photos of this thing it was ridiculous. Paws on shoulders type, had a pedigree so he knew it was pure. Old throwback, unfortunately bone cancer took the dog.

Some people do have stupidly large rotties, pure or not nothing stops people breeding outside of standard.