Please Help Me Save My Dog

Jellyblush

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She HAS had a dental! I made a comment about her teeth, as when I got the dogs home I spent ages accusing poor Roo of having rolled in something on their walk before realising it was stinky Mia! And was assured she has had them checked. Seriously it smells like she has a permanent dead animal in her mouth. Lucky she's cute :)

She HAS had a dental! I made a comment about her teeth, as when I got the dogs home I spent ages accusing poor Roo of having rolled in something on their walk before realising it was stinky Mia! And was assured she has had them checked. Seriously it smells like she has a permanent dead animal in her mouth. Lucky she's cute :)

That sounds a bit odd. Can you have a look at her teeth? Right up the back?

(apart from Mia's teefies) sounds pretty good to me! It'd only been a day or so and sounds like the girls are starting to adjust to each other, even Roo. I agree with those who said to be a bit firm with Roo if she growls and snaps, just like you did, no privileges if she's being bratty, but no big punishment either, so Mia being there isn't associated with bad stuff. Mia sounds chilled, hopefully she will hold her ground with Roo enough to show Roo calm doggy behaviour but be flexible enough that they won't fight. Sounds like so far so good!

Well done girls :)

I would suspect periodontal disease myself rather then a bad tooth. Look for red lines along the gum line around the teeth. Otherwise things seem to be looking up.

Well done Jelly, you're very brave in helping Roo. I'm watching with interest as I think a companion would help my boy too. The brown stuff on her teeth may have to be scraped off by a vet. My last dog had a long, houndy shaped head and limited interest in bones so had to go visit the dentist yearly to get his teeth scraped under ansesthetic, especially the back ones. Apparently it can give them tummy problems and other health problems if left.

Good to know Hankdog. What makes you think a companion is the answer for your dog? It's so hard to get an indication of whether it will help or not without trying it.

Edited by Jellyblush

She's very elegant, you can definitely pick good looking dogs. Jake went into the pound with a female who was a bit older than him. My behaviorist thinks a lot of his lack of confidence comes from that situation and being separated from her. If we could just get over the other dog thing his separation issues would probably be helped by having another dog.

I think you're brave because I honestly don't know that I will ever have the courage to take on another dog though. Hope everyone's having a good weekend.

We went for a very long walk today, 2 hours, and when I got back, both dogs were behaving nicely together, eating their marrow bones out the back (Mia's breath REEKS!), and when we came in, I invited them in turn up to the sofa, where they have snoozed at opposite ends every since.

A vet behaviorist told me that taking the resident dog for walks with the new dog, is one of the best things to do, to help them settle & be at ease with each other.

Whenever a new dog comes here.... it's one of the first things I do. And keep it up regularly, even if it isn't always far.

About the bad breath ... I agree with Rebanne to check for gum problems. Also, just saying not suggesting, bad breath can be associated with respiratory system & also digestive problems.

I would suspect periodontal disease myself rather then a bad tooth. Look for red lines along the gum line around the teeth. Otherwise things seem to be looking up.

Ah yes you're right or as Mita suggested maybe something digestive? Her breath should not be so bad that Jelly can smell it when not even near her mouth.

Ah yes you're right or as Mita suggested maybe something digestive? Her breath should not be so bad that Jelly can smell it when not even near her mouth.

My first greyhound had periodontal disease, his breath stunk out the house within weeks of any dental. Our solution in the end was the removal of all teeth. Fixed that problem very well. Also had a cat that, in the end, needed all his teeth removed. Was also a big success.

My first greyhound had periodontal disease, his breath stunk out the house within weeks of any dental. Our solution in the end was the removal of all teeth. Fixed that problem very well. Also had a cat that, in the end, needed all his teeth removed. Was also a big success.

Thanks Rebanne that's interesting. So is there no cure for it other than to remove all the teeth?

Thanks Rebanne that's interesting. So is there no cure for it other than to remove all the teeth?

I tried many things over 4 years but the only thing that really worked was the teeth removal.