Please Help Me Save My Dog

Jellyblush

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dol-ers, please meet Mia :thumbsup:

20130621_191646_zpsd178aabc.jpg

So far so good between she and Roo, they walked nicely together for 45 minutes, they had a good sniff of each other outside and have now settled into an evening of ignoring each other in their respective beds.

Thats great JB! :thumbsup: Ignoring is good, I'm guessing they know exactly what the other is doing even tho they don't seem like they are watching.

Mia looks lovely, very much like my latest foster, Bunny, down to the dilated pupils. :)

Snapping is a huge problem, please don't leave them alone together. I'm sure you won't but I feel compelled to say it anyway. You have a mature bitch who has been an only dog for sometime and are asking her to accept another mature bitch in her house. What did you do when Roo snapped? I'd have made her get off. It's my couch and no dog has the right to say who can sit on it. I wouldn't have let Mia up on it though while Roo was off it. When I decided the dogs could get back up I would have asked Mia up first, then Roo. You can make this a game, ask one up, then the other, give a treat, get them off and rinse and repeat.

Thanks Rebanne, no, I won't be leaving them alone together. No way. Yes, I did tell Roo to get back off the sofa and into her bed, and Mia had already gone to hers of her own accord. I haven't let either dog up here since.

Could the reason for the previous dog stay working okay be because both dogs were younger (both 2.5)? Or just a matter of personality?

Would also be interested if people think Mia should go home if there's any further snapping, or if it would be silly to give up after only a night. I don't want Mia to have a hard time here.

Edited by Jellyblush

Snapping is a huge problem, please don't leave them alone together. I'm sure you won't but I feel compelled to say it anyway. You have a mature bitch who has been an only dog for sometime and are asking her to accept another mature bitch in her house. What did you do when Roo snapped? I'd have made her get off. It's my couch and no dog has the right to say who can sit on it. I wouldn't have let Mia up on it though while Roo was off it. When I decided the dogs could get back up I would have asked Mia up first, then Roo. You can make this a game, ask one up, then the other, give a treat, get them off and rinse and repeat.

yes!

.. it is asking a lot of Roo ..and if /when you have another dog guest for a weekend , perhaps a male may be a safer choice , along with some new compromise house rules ?

Thanks Rebanne, no, I won't be leaving them alone together. No way. Yes, I did tell Roo to get back off the sofa and into her bed, and Mia had already gone to hers of her own accord. I haven't let either dog up here since.

Could the reason for the previous dog stay working okay be because both dogs were younger (both 2.5)? Or just a matter of personality?

Would also be interested if people think Mia should go home if there's any further snapping, or if it would be silly to give up after only a night. I don't want Mia to have a hard time here.

depends if Roo and the goldie were brought up together or were adults etc. You can't get much more laid back then a calm greyhound though. I'd be sending Mia home if there is anymore snapping, not fair to her at all. And even the most laid back dog can respond if pushed too far.

:(

I don't think I'm experienced enough to be trying this. I just wanted to find something that would help so much.

Is Nek still helping you and Roo? Maybe give her a call. I would be preapred to battle on if it was only growling, I consider growling a good help, Roo is voicing her disapproval, discomfort, uneasiness in a safe manner. Growling gives you time to intervene if there is enough time between the growl and the snap. If Roo goes growl, snap straight away then you have a much bigger problem. and it is very hard for people to help via the internet. We can't see what is actually happening.

depends if Roo and the goldie were brought up together or were adults etc. You can't get much more laid back then a calm greyhound though. I'd be sending Mia home if there is anymore snapping, not fair to her at all. And even the most laid back dog can respond if pushed too far.

I'd agree with this and greyhounds have very thin skin so easily hurt.

Is there any reason why you didn't want a male? Males to females are usually a better option although Roo may not accept a male either, she may be extremely territorial ...

Is there any reason why you didn't want a male? Males to females are usually a better option although Roo may not accept a male either, she may be extremely territorial ...

Not at all, discussions were focussed around temperament and understanding Roo's issues and Mia was offerred due to temperament fit. And it's true, she is exceptionally calm.

Please don't worry, I won't allow Mia to be hurt. I understand they are easily hurt.

I haven't seen Nekh for ages, since before I went away, I'm still practising the things she showed me. Maybe time for another trip down the highway!

Not at all, discussions were focussed around temperament and understanding Roo's issues and Mia was offerred due to temperament fit. And it's true, she is exceptionally calm.

Please don't worry, I won't allow Mia to be hurt. I understand they are easily hurt.

I haven't seen Nekh for ages, since before I went away, I'm still practising the things she showed me. Maybe time for another trip down the highway!

yes temperament is vital rather then the sex of the other dog. Of course ideal would be laid back, calm, cruisy male dog but still no guarantee it would work

Hello, just dropped in to say no more growling, snapping, or otherwise anti-social behaviour from miss Roo :) No more lip licking, yawning, or other signs of anxiety either, which she was showing a bit last night. She does look up whenever I say Mia's name or give her a pat, but overall much more settled.

We went for a very long walk today, 2 hours, and when I got back, both dogs were behaving nicely together, eating their marrow bones out the back (Mia's breath REEKS!), and when we came in, I invited them in turn up to the sofa, where they have snoozed at opposite ends every since.

Hello, just dropped in to say no more growling, snapping, or otherwise anti-social behaviour from miss Roo :) No more lip licking, yawning, or other signs of anxiety either, which she was showing a bit last night. She does look up whenever I say Mia's name or give her a pat, but overall much more settled.

We went for a very long walk today, 2 hours, and when I got back, both dogs were behaving nicely together, eating their marrow bones out the back (Mia's breath REEKS!), and when we came in, I invited them in turn up to the sofa, where they have snoozed at opposite ends every since.

Apologies for butting in- have been following this post for a while now. Tonight seems totally great for you guys! My two dogs- Kelpie X 6, Miss Ridgy 2 years old- always sleep on separate couches. They get along well, Miss 2 being the interloper 18 or so months ago. Mr 6 even after 18 months of happy play, hanging out, no fights, prefers his own couch or 'sleep space'. Miss 2 is not too fussed, but she complies if told she's in his personal space. Anyway your initial intro went pretty well the same as between our two intially, so there's much hope yet (IMO) :)