Please Help Me Save My Dog

Jellyblush

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much for updating, and for the GORGEOUS photos :)

Glad you found out about the new mans' problems early on, and I hope you weren't hurt! :kissbetter:

The kennel staff sound as if they need to be more observant - poor Roo :(

I just love the pics of her & her daycare friends :) :)

what a great job you are doing, many would have dumped her long ago, you are a star! :thumbsup:

Have a go with a grey, i love them they are very easy dogs, if it doesn't work out you can stop.

Can she go to daycare more, or is it ok to take her with you? or too pricey?

It sounds very much like you have gotten a good handle on Roo's issues, and are managing them well...

Sorry about the boyfriend, but good that you had it all sussed out early in the piece that he wasn't right for you.

Roo is sooooo georgeous!! Loving the pics to death. Please give her a cuddle from me...

T.

Thanks for the update on the gorgeous Roo, love her day care piccies. :D

Shame the kennel didn't pick up on her foot, not very observant of them. And like the others have said, better to find out about the bf now. I think definitely look into fostering a grey through a reputable group, just in case things don't work out you want to be able to have that support and the option to return them.

There are plenty of other breeds that have older calm dogs. A good all breeds rescue will take back an adopted dog if it doesn't work out.

I know people don't mean how some things are sounding but I'm getting a bit cheesed off with, oh it's a Greyhound just send it back if it doesn't work out.

I'm not so interested in the breed but more the characteristics.

You want a bullet proof, calm, older dog.

When I had my first Italian with separation anxiety, I went searching for another small dog - to see if the right dog would calm him down. The worst thing I could have done for him would have been to get a young and springy, excitable Foxy or similar.

I adopted a 9 yr old Border Terrier cross. Initially they ignored each other but she had a calm and reassuring presence.

My Iggy was always sick and in the vets, often for a surgery, the vets found he was very highly strung and anxious. The vets were astonished that he was a different dog when Dixie was with him (she had to go in for a dental once and they went together) so from then on, Dixie always went into the vets with him.

He would never walk down the road on the lead unless Dixie was with him! She was his safety blanket.

Greyhounds are wonderful dogs, I'd recommend that you get one that has been in foster care and is well known as some can have sep anx and you don't want to double your trouble.

You could also ask the day care people if there is one particular kind of dog that Roo is drawn to, ie smaller than her, fluffy and so on, what does she seem to like in a friend and then try and match that too. There's a lot to think about!

Edited by dogmad

s that a Lagotto friend at daycare?

Hi :) I'm not sure - I don't know what a Lagotto looks like.

Can she go to daycare more, or is it ok to take her with you? or too pricey?

Too pricey I'm afraid. One other thing that has been on my mind is the option for me to move to a less expensive flat, and use the $ difference to put her in daycare 5 days. I have only rented a bigger place with a yard for Roo - but if she was in daycare 5 days per week I would not actually need the yard. It could work out cost neutral? We spend a lot of time out and about together on the weekend. Any short weekend absences she could go in her crate. I'm mulling it over, need to do a lot more research before making a move

I know people don't mean how some things are sounding but I'm getting a bit cheesed off with, oh it's a Greyhound just send it back if it doesn't work out.

I certainly didn't mean this Rebanne; I thought of a grey only because I want to help them and because Roo loves the rescue greys at daycare. I would never adopt and send a dog back either, I would foster until I found the right dog.

I'm not so interested in the breed but more the characteristics.

You want a bullet proof, calm, older dog.

When I had my first Italian with separation anxiety, I went searching for another small dog - to see if the right dog would calm him down. The worst thing I could have done for him would have been to get a young and springy, excitable Foxy or similar.

I adopted a 9 yr old Border Terrier cross. Initially they ignored each other but she had a calm and reassuring presence.

My Iggy was always sick and in the vets, often for a surgery, the vets found he was very highly strung and anxious. The vets were astonished that he was a different dog when Dixie was with him (she had to go in for a dental once and they went together) so from then on, Dixie always went into the vets with him.

He would never walk down the road on the lead unless Dixie was with him! She was his safety blanket.

Greyhounds are wonderful dogs, I'd recommend that you get one that has been in foster care and is well known as some can have sep anx and you don't want to double your trouble.

You could also ask the day care people if there is one particular kind of dog that Roo is drawn to, ie smaller than her, fluffy and so on, what does she seem to like in a friend and then try and match that too. There's a lot to think about!

Yes! so many great points in this post. I DO want a bullet proof, calm, older dog. Where to find one?!? Great idea to talk to daycare about breeds etc, in fact I will do it today!

The relationship between your dogs is beautiful.

You may need to adopt rather than foster, given the situation. If you foster an older dog and it is adopted just when Roo starts to bond/depend on it it is possible that may intensify the problems.

All reputable rescues have a trial time, if it doesn't work out in that time, yes return that one and try with another.

Just my thoughts...every situation is different.

Another option that might be viable... Goldie Rescue. www.grr.org.au

They are run from Sydney, but I think they have a network in Victoria too. Wendy and Trish are awesome, and they are experts in matching dogs to homes...

T.

Another option that might be viable... Goldie Rescue. www.grr.org.au

They are run from Sydney, but I think they have a network in Victoria too. Wendy and Trish are awesome, and they are experts in matching dogs to homes...

T.

oooh we've had some success with a goldie and they are lovely, lovely dogs! Thanks :)

gratuitous Roo-pic!

315518_503212433072174_629413746_n_zpsd447f1ed.jpg

How very disappointing the kennels were so lax with their observations, they should have seen and noticed it, called you and discussed it with you.

A nice calm greyhound may work quite well.

So sorry to hear about the boyfriend, I am glad you found out now and I really hope you were not injured or abused by him :(

So sorry to hear about the boyfriend, I am glad you found out now and I really hope you were not injured or abused by him :(

Thanks OSo. And also to everyone else who has said they are sorry. Mostly, I just feel like a fool for getting so excited I might have met someone nice :(

He did get a little violent. He threw me across a room and I landed on my knee. So I left straight away.

Might just stick to dogs for a while.

Edited by Jellyblush

Another supporter of GRR here, TD beat me to it. Extra grooming and exercise compared with a Grey but GRR are great at placing the right dog in the right household.

Edited by Jellyblush