Please Help Me Save My Dog

Jellyblush

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't Mia walk well on the lead? Greyhounds are usually the very easiest to walk as they have normally been ex racers.

As they are both girls, it could be helpful to get a dual lead - one that splits in 2 directions and attaches to their collars.

Best to walk on harnesses too I imagine?

She does Dogmad, but she gets a bit obsessed when she sniffs something good. She better than Roo that's for sure! I suppose it's more just nerves on my part - if they WERE to take off, I'd have no chance of controlling them and I know it. Not an insurmountable problem I know. They'll train me to be better at it eventually ;)

Edited by Jellyblush

Doesn't Mia walk well on the lead? Greyhounds are usually the very easiest to walk as they have normally been ex racers.

As they are both girls, it could be helpful to get a dual lead - one that splits in 2 directions and attaches to their collars.

Best to walk on harnesses too I imagine?

Yes greyhounds are usually very easy to walk, not a fan of dual leads for greys myself but that's just me. Is Mia muzzled?

Perse! Make her a brunette and that's pretty much spot on :D

Stan's mum, she is not - she has the special collar instead of needing a muzzle.

The green GAP collar?

I wouldn't use a split lead either. If you are having trouble walking them then maybe a smaller dog would be better. I would think any dog with the right temperament would be good. What is happening with them tomorrow when you go back to work?

Perse! Make her a brunette and that's pretty much spot on :D

Stan's mum, she is not - she has the special collar instead of needing a muzzle.

The green GAP collar?

I wouldn't use a split lead either. If you are having trouble walking them then maybe a smaller dog would be better. I would think any dog with the right temperament would be good. What is happening with them tomorrow when you go back to work?

Yes is she wearing a GAP greenhound collar?

Edited. ... Okay some googling has shown me that no further posting could be a good idea. Thanks so much for your help over the last few months everyone, and your well-wishes. It has meant a great deal to Roo and I :)

Edited by Jellyblush

Yep that's Mia. I haven't seen her advertised before. What is a greenhound dog?

A greenhound dog is a grey that has been approved through a GAP assessor and is then allowed to be muzzle free in public. The test is quite involved and not all will pass. My concern here is if you are walking Mia muzzle free without her being approved you are not only breaking the law but putting yourself, Roo and Mia in a potentially dangerous position. That is why I strongly suggested you foster through a reputable group such as GAP.

Yep that's Mia. I haven't seen her advertised before. What is a greenhound dog?

A greenhound dog is a grey that has been approved through a GAP assessor and is then allowed to be muzzle free in public. The test is quite involved and not all will pass. My concern here is if you are walking Mia muzzle free without her being approved you are not only breaking the law but putting yourself, Roo and Mia in a potentially dangerous position. That is why I strongly suggested you foster through a reputable group such as GAP.

In Victoria the only greyhounds allowed muzzle free are those that have been through GAP, no other organisation has that ability. GAP will assess greyhounds from other places, it entails at least a week stay with GAP.

So Mia came from Kay's Greys? I am not surprised as I thought it very dodgy that GAP would allow a foster dog to go off with someone else other then the official carer. If you have been told Mia is a GAP greyhound and does not need a muzzle and she has never been near GAP, then all I can say is there is a reason I only recommend two groups in Vic and Kay's Grey's is not one of them.

Okay thanks Stan's mum. I understand.

Jelly please don't think I am having a go at you personally, I have not followed all of this thread but do know you have put in 100% for Roo and that is amazing. You are only going on what you have been told by the rescue group and obviously that information is incorrect. Greyhounds are my passion and would love them all to find homes but the right homes, you could have been put in a very dangerous situation not to mention other animals you could encounter on your walk. I do wish you all the best.

Okay thanks Stan's mum. I understand.

Jelly please don't think I am having a go at you personally, I have not followed all of this thread but do know you have put in 100% for Roo and that is amazing. You are only going on what you have been told by the rescue group and obviously that information is incorrect. Greyhounds are my passion and would love them all to find homes but the right homes, you could have been put in a very dangerous situation not to mention other animals you could encounter on your walk. I do wish you all the best.

Ditto