A Question About Ear Hygeine

Topoftheheap

Hi Everyone, hoping some one here can help - one of my dogs has quite moist ears - the fluid is almost clear and the ear doesn't smell - but they are intermittently scratching the ear, and when I try to clean it, it seems to annoy the dog. He normally does not have an issue with me cleaning his ears, and is quite stoic about things. When I put something in the ear to clean it, even a little way, it comes out soaked, and most of the time completely clear, but sometimes has a slight brown tinge to it.

I'm not sure what to do - I have been using Epi-Optic to try and dry the ear, but it doesn't seem to be helping, and Im actually concerned it might of made it worse. There is no wax build up at all, and as I said the ear does not smell at all. The ear doesn't appear any different to the opposite one, which he is not concerned about me cleaning at all. Should I just take him to the vet, or does anyone have any suggestions about what may be wrong?

Another question, what do you guys use to clean the ears when they are a bit wet. The idea of putting a liquid in an ear to dry it seems a bit odd to me, but that is what our vet told us to use, and maybe I don't understand. I have heard of powders that dry the ear, but cannot find them anywhere for sale. What do you guys do..........

Edited to add: this is just something that has started in the last 4-6 days.

Edited by tibbiesby2

My lab had ear infections a lot when he was under 3, We used Epi-optic and it cleared it up. His was always very dark and grotty, not clear confused.gif. I would say a vet check and maybe a change of diet if it is a constant thing.

provided the dog is eating and happy , and not holding his head over to one side /shaking his head constantly , a vet visit tomorrow should help put your mind at rest ....

I strongly suggest you don't put anything in there . until you have a diagnosis .. just wipe around the outside with a tissue or cotton wool ..and phone the vet as soon as they open :)

If the dog is really uncomfortable, and if you think it really is urgent, then you will need to contact an emergency vet.

Just a thought - do you have another dog who may be licking at the ears of the problem dog and keeping them moist ????

Edited by persephone

Vet check first.

Generally if a dog hasn't got a problem or dirt there is no need to be cleaning the ears with anything.

Half white vinegar, half warm water is as good as anything if you have to clean.

Boracic acid powder will dry the ear. Antiseptic. You can order it from Whelping supplies on here.

Or try simple first & get some ZSC powder from the chemist. It is only Zinc, Starch & Corn, bit like talc, & although for babies & adults many use it in the dogs ears before plucking the hair out. Harmless & dries inside the ear.

Using anything too strong can aggravate.

provided the dog is eating and happy , and not holding his head over to one side /shaking his head constantly , a vet visit tomorrow should help put your mind at rest ....

I strongly suggest you don't put anything in there . until you have a diagnosis .. just wipe around the outside with a tissue or cotton wool ..and phone the vet as soon as they open :)

If the dog is really uncomfortable, and if you think it really is urgent, then you will need to contact an emergency vet.

Just a thought - do you have another dog who may be licking at the ears of the problem dog and keeping them moist ????

Spot on - never muck around with ears! You don't want a burst eardrum so go to the vet first.

Epi-otic can change the environment in the ear so it could make things worse. Best to get the vet to have a look and do a swab to see whats going on so it can be treated specifically.

I also agree about looking at diet. Has anything changed recently? Its amazing how many ear irritations are linked to food intolerances.

Clear fluid coming from ears can be sign of something sinister so VET ASAP where they can look into ear canal with Auroscope and establish where source is.

Think about this ear canal goes to brain (via middle ear system)and to back of nose(eutachian tube) if hole in drum then only thing coming out of ear in worst case scenario is cerbral spinal fluid, if not infected in which case it would be yukky colour and smell, or brown and waxy. I have had dog with so much residural water in ear from swimming and bathing it leaked clear fluid for days and needed special medication in ear to dry out this excess.

post-34794-0-14048000-1359436903_thumb.jpg

Edited by zeebie

First I would visit a vet to rule out grass seed or that the ear drum has been damaged. For ongoing treatment or recurrent ear isssues I have used the malaseb wash, one of my dogs was always getting ear issues & since using the wash after bathing I have not had an problem.

Ears are very hard to examine fully at home due to their structure so a visit to the vet so examination is done with an otiscope is the best starting point.