New Puppy Ideas?

Hello.

I am looking at getting a new pup for agility and obedance training. But i am not sure what to get.

I have four young kids, so was after a smaller sized dog. I have owed and competed with a border collie before. Cara was great, but she was ten before I had any kids. So not sure I have the time to exercise a young border with the kids.

I still have a nine year old German shepherd, he was my security patrol dog. I love him but can't take him out with my kids.

I work from home so my dog will be with me most of the time.

Any ideas would be great.

Must be small to med in size.

Good for training in agility and obedance.

Must be good with small kids

I can clip and groom any dog breed to. (Spent nine yours working as a groomer).

I have a few ideas but still not sure.

Everything in your post screams out to me MINI POODLE. Nice size with kids, look cool when well groomed, fast enough for agilty and smart enough for obedience and agility, if unable to walk a run around the back yard with kids will keep him entertained.

Schipperke :D Sturdy little dogs, so great with kids, don't mind any rough and tumble play! And awesome little agility or obedience dogs. Biscuit picks things up so fast, and schips are sooo food motivated making them easy to train. They'll take any exercise you can throw at them...or none at all, just a play in the yard if you can't get out.

My only concern would be I'm not sure how they'd be in a family situation as I don't have a big family :laugh: It's just me and my parents, and because they are very much one person dogs, Biscuit has attached himself to me and really isn't bothered by anyone else. But other schip people might have better insight in that regard :)

Everything in your post screams out to me MINI POODLE. Nice size with kids, look cool when well groomed, fast enough for agilty and smart enough for obedience and agility, if unable to walk a run around the back yard with kids will keep him entertained.

I thought mini poodle straight away too :thumbsup:

Or if you don't mind going up in size you could look at a standard poodle :)

I agree, the mini poodle would be an easier size with children. Schipperke, pinschers, most of the terriers like the jack russel, fox, irish, etc are robust enough to live in a family as well as do obedience and agility :)

Thanks for the ideas every one. Mini poodle and schipperkes are two I have been thinking about.

We had a schipperke cross Pom when I was younger. She was a great little dog, but I rem having to put her to sleep when she was only six because she became paralyzed all of a sudden and the vet could do nothing for her. They couldn't give me much on what caused it. Is there any health issues with the breed that could have caused this that I should look out for?

I am not to keen on terries for kids tho, they my be ok for some but they just aren't for me.

What about a corgi? I have Cardigans, but either breed might appeal to you. They're small/medium dog, with short legs. I find their exercise requirements are moderate, as long as they get a reasonable amount of mental stimulation. My older girl sucessfully does Obedience, Rally-O and Dances with Dogs, and my 4 month old pup is already showing lots of promise, and I've had a few people eyeing him off for other sports.

They can be a little aloof with strangers, but love their own people, and those they consider friends, and mine are both great with kids, despite minimal contact with them.

Fairly easy grooming, but they do shed a LOT. Smart and easy to train, but beware, because they are a little prone to independent thinking!

Cavalier? Many years ago I did obedience with one of mine and she did very well (despite me :laugh: ). I have a couple now who are great to train and if I could be bothered would do well competing I think. And a couple I bred have done brilliantly in agility. There are some couch potato Cavs but I find that most are more active and really enjoy pleasing their owner :D

I had shelties when my kids were young, brilliant breed. go to a good breeder etc (you know all that) mine did agility and obedience. were great with the kids, and if they didn't get out the yard for a week or so didn't get destructive

I thought Sheltie too, since you seem to like the working dog temperament given you've had a border and a GSD. If you wanted something bigger a Collie might be an option too. They can do dog sports there's a few people in SA doing obedience and agility with them now. They're not as full on as borders but it depends on what sort of dog you want. Generally good with kids too. I can point you in the right direction Collie wise if need be. :)

Cavalier? Many years ago I did obedience with one of mine and she did very well (despite me :laugh: ). I have a couple now who are great to train and if I could be bothered would do well competing I think. And a couple I bred have done brilliantly in agility. There are some couch potato Cavs but I find that most are more active and really enjoy pleasing their owner :D

I agree, I have known of Cavs that have done quite well in obedience and agility trials !;) I would love to do it again, and with my new one, but im not as fit anymore and live too far away from clubs etc..

ps Years ago when I used to compete in obedience trials, there were quite a few Shelties doing quite well in trials :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

What about a corgi? I have Cardigans, but either breed might appeal to you. They're small/medium dog, with short legs. I find their exercise requirements are moderate, as long as they get a reasonable amount of mental stimulation. My older girl sucessfully does Obedience, Rally-O and Dances with Dogs, and my 4 month old pup is already showing lots of promise, and I've had a few people eyeing him off for other sports.

They can be a little aloof with strangers, but love their own people, and those they consider friends, and mine are both great with kids, despite minimal contact with them.

Fairly easy grooming, but they do shed a LOT. Smart and easy to train, but beware, because they are a little prone to independent thinking!

Another for Cardis thumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gif

Great little dogs........Jan West has had a couple of ADM titled Cardis in Victoria

Or a Swedish Vallhund. They are probably harder to train than a corgi in some ways, but easier in others. My Erik is phenomenal. The stuff he can do leaves me picking my jaw up off the ground. He is much more agile than my Pembroke corgi was, and in another ball park intelligence-wise. After spending the last two weeks with WL GSDs I think Vallhunds are the perfect toned down version of a working dog. Smaller, less intense, less active, slower, milder-mannered, but otherwise my little guy at least has got it all. :) If only they had longer legs so E could keep up with me on a run!

Another for Cardis thumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gif

Great little dogs........Jan West has had a couple of ADM titled Cardis in Victoria

My new pup is a grand son of Jan's Oliver. I love the stories of her dogs - I think I'd steal Olivia, given half a chance!

Or a Swedish Vallhund. They are probably harder to train than a corgi in some ways, but easier in others. My Erik is phenomenal. The stuff he can do leaves me picking my jaw up off the ground. He is much more agile than my Pembroke corgi was, and in another ball park intelligence-wise. After spending the last two weeks with WL GSDs I think Vallhunds are the perfect toned down version of a working dog. Smaller, less intense, less active, slower, milder-mannered, but otherwise my little guy at least has got it all. :) If only they had longer legs so E could keep up with me on a run!

I always thought they looked like GSDs with chopped off legs :laugh: