Leaving Dogs Tethered Outside The Supermarket

Guest Maeby Fünke

198 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever leave your dogs tethered (unattended) outside the supermarket?

• Yes, but for no more than 1 hour
    • Yes, but for no more than 30 minutes
    • Yes, but for no more than 15 minutes
    • Yes, but for no more than 5 minutes
    • No, not under any circumstances

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be worried about someone stealing the dog or harming it, I wouldn't report it but it might be worth having a chat to the owner and making them aware. It's nice to see people going about their day with their dog accompanying them, it's just sad that it carries risks :(

Guest Maeby Fünke

I can see that the mistake I made when starting this thread was being specific when I should have been more general...

So, I'm asking the question in a poll for anyone who is interested :)

I'm pretty sure dogs unattended aren't considered to be "under effective control" and are therefore able to be picked up by rangers etc if they see a need, even without a report.

No wonder so many dogs lives are just in the back yard.

You can't go anywhere or do anything anymore, its all too bloody hard trying to please everyone with every little thing & it keeps changing. You dog can be gone from anywhere now, even your own property & you didn't think you were doing anything wrong.

I would be so outraged if I went in a shop for a few minutes, tied my dog up safely & it had been seized by the ranger because someone complained. Never thought of that.

I don't leave my dogs anywhere now. Too many odd people around well meaning or not.

I can't believe it took four pages to get to this on a dog forum.

A dog must be on a leash and under the effective control of a competent person over the age of 16.

13 Responsibilities while dog in public place

(1) A dog that is in a public place must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held by (or secured to) the person.

(2) If this section is contravened:

(a) the owner of the dog, or

(b) if the owner is not present at the time of the offence and another person who is of or above the age of 16 years is in charge of the dog at that time--that other person,

is guilty of an offence. Maximum penalty:

(a) 10 penalty units except in the case of a dangerous or restricted dog, or

(b) 100 penalty units in the case of a dangerous or restricted dog.

(3) Any person (including an authorised officer) can seize a dog that is in a public place in contravention of this section. If the owner of the dog is present, the dog cannot be seized except by an authorised officer and only then if the contravention continues after the owner has been told of the contravention. A reference in this subsection to the owner of the dog includes a reference to the person who is for the time being in charge of the dog. Putting the dog on a leash prevents the dog being seized but it does not excuse the contravention and does not stop action being taken for the contravention.

(4) A dog is not considered to be under the effective control of a person if the person has more than 4 dogs under his or her control.

(5) This section does not apply to:

(a) a dog accompanied by some competent person in an area declared to be an off-leash area by a declaration under this section (but only if the total number of dogs that the person is accompanied by or has control of does not exceed 4), or

(b) a dog engaged in the droving, tending or working of stock, or

© a dog being exhibited for show purposes, or

(d) a dog participating in an obedience class, trial or exhibition, or

(e) a police dog, or

(e1) a corrective services dog, or

(f) a dog secured in a cage or vehicle or tethered to a fixed object or structure.

Just because a dog is not on a lead in an off-leash area, or is secured in a cage or vehicle or is tethered to a fixed object or structure, does not mean that an offence under section 16 is not committed if the dog rushes at, attacks, bites, harasses or chases any person or animal, whether or not any injury is caused.

(6) A local authority can by order declare a public place to be an off-leash area. Such a declaration can be limited so as to apply during a particular period or periods of the day or to different periods of different days. However, there must at all times be at least one public place in the area of a local authority that is an off-leash area.

Just because a dog is not on a lead in an off-leash area, or is secured in a cage or vehicle or is tethered to a fixed object or structure, does not mean that an offence under section 16 is not committed if the dog rushes at, attacks, bites, harasses or chases any person or animal, whether or not any injury is caused.

If your dog gets teased, provoked or hurt and then bites someone and you don't have a witness then you're stuffed.

Clearly, we take a risk and put the dog in jeopardy leaving it tied up outside a shop.

It might be cute but its not smart.

Edited by Tralee

Guest Maeby Fünke

I think there is a big difference between what you would do with your own dogs, and what you would report someone else for doing.

Why would a person complain about someone else doing it, if they think it's okay?

When I was more naive, I took my new puppy girl (2-3 months old) to the supermarket and tied her up at the seat out the front.

Fortunately, I came back just in time to find an "Alfred E Newman - Wot me Worry" look alike attempting to untie the leash.

I don't leave them now but if it is unavoidable I make sure I can see them at all times, or I ask someone to watch them for me.

Guest Maeby Fünke

When I was more naive, I took my new puppy girl (2-3 months old) to the supermarket and tied her up at the seat out the front.

Fortunately, I came back just in time to find an "Alfred E Newman - Wot me Worry" look alike attempting to untie the leash.

I don't leave them now but if it is unavoidable I make sure I can see them at all times, or I ask someone to watch them for me.

"Alfred E Newman" :laugh:

New Avatar - "Like" :thumbsup:

I think there is a big difference between what you would do with your own dogs, and what you would report someone else for doing.

Why would a person complain about someone else doing it, if they think it's okay?

Nope, I meant the opposite. There is no way I would ever tie my dogs up outside a supermarket. I think it's far too risky. But whether other people choose to take that risk is their business. As long as their dogs are not a problem for other people, and not suffering from heat etc, it's not for me to be a little dictator about it.

Guest Maeby Fünke

New Avatar - "Like" :thumbsup:

Oh, thanks! :)

I was going to use the other one until I had my Frenchie, but that won't be for a while.

I like his/her expression... Such funny little dogs :laugh:

I wouldn't leave my dog unaccompanied because he would either get stolen or happily follow strangers. I've seen many people tie their dogs outside the banks or supermarkets, from samoyed to toy poodle. If the dog has shade & water and is used to it, I agree with others that there doesn't seem to be a problem. A dog's sad face is relative - mine has perpetual sad face :D

And OT but I love your username, OP.

Guest Maeby Fünke

I wouldn't leave my dog unaccompanied because he would either get stolen or happily follow strangers. I've seen many people tie their dogs outside the banks or supermarkets, from samoyed to toy poodle. If the dog has shade & water and is used to it, I agree with others that there doesn't seem to be a problem. A dog's sad face is relative - mine has perpetual sad face :D

And OT but I love your username, OP.

Hehe, thanks :)

Guest Maeby Fünke

I tie my dogs up outside the servo, but it's glass-fronted so I can lean over and check on them from most places inside the shop. It's good practice for trials for them to settle unattended and tethered.

Oh, that's interesting :)

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Nope, I meant the opposite. There is no way I would ever tie my dogs up outside a supermarket. I think it's far too risky. But whether other people choose to take that risk is their business. As long as their dogs are not a problem for other people, and not suffering from heat etc, it's not for me to be a little dictator about it.

agree :thumbsup:

Guest Maeby Fünke
Yes, but for no less than 5 minutes

Shouldn't that be: "Yes, but for less than 5 minutes," or, "Yes, but for no more than 5 minutes."

Yes, you're right. I've fixed it... Ta :)

Is this in NSW? If so, the dog is considered under effective control if it is tethered to a fixed structure.

I'm not sure that is the correct interpretation melzawelza.

13 Responsibilities while dog in public place

(1) A dog that is in a public place must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held by (or secured to) the person.

NSW Companion Animals Act 1998

I believe a dog teathered to a fixed object or structure is not held or secured to a person and further, it is only permitted in off-leash type areas. This is understood in regard to the meaning of 'on leash' which is inclusive of being held (or secured to) the person.

Regards.

Edited by Tralee