Leaving Dogs Tethered Outside The Supermarket

Guest Maeby Fünke

198 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever leave your dogs tethered (unattended) outside the supermarket?

• Yes, but for no more than 1 hour
    • Yes, but for no more than 30 minutes
    • Yes, but for no more than 15 minutes
    • Yes, but for no more than 5 minutes
    • No, not under any circumstances

Yes, but for no less than 5 minutes

Shouldn't that be: "Yes, but for less than 5 minutes," or, "Yes, but for no more than 5 minutes."

Yes, you're right. I've fixed it... Ta :)

Cool, now I can go to bed and not worry all morning about the grammer nazi. :laugh:

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this in NSW? If so, the dog is considered under effective control if it is tethered to a fixed structure.

I'm not sure that is the correct interpretation melzawelza.

13 Responsibilities while dog in public place

(1) A dog that is in a public place must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held by (or secured to) the person.

NSW Companion Animals Act 1998

I believe a dog teathered to a fixed object or structure is not held or secured to a person and further, it is only permitted in off-leash type areas. This is understood in regard to the meaning of 'on leash' which is inclusive of being held (or secured to) the person.

Regards.

If you keep reading:

(5) This section does not apply to:

(f) a dog secured in a cage or vehicle or tethered to a fixed object or structure.

It is legal, but as you said earlier you could still be charged depending on the dog's behaviour while secured.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Is this in NSW? If so, the dog is considered under effective control if it is tethered to a fixed structure.

(1) A dog that is in a public place must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held by (or secured to) the person.

I believe a dog teathered to a fixed object or structure is not held or secured to a person and further, it is only permitted in off-leash type areas. This is understood in regard to the meaning of 'on leash' which is inclusive of being held (or secured to) the person.

Regards.

If you keep reading:

(f) a dog secured in a cage or vehicle or tethered to a fixed object or structure.

It is legal, but as you said earlier you could still be charged depending on the dog's behaviour while secured.

Thanks for clearing that up! :)

Did the woman in the supermarket know if the woman with the newfy was inside the supermarket? Maybe if you see the dog again, ask the person on the desk to put a call out over the comms system for her to see to her dog.

I didn't think to ask her that... And she didn't say. I might phone the manager of the supermarket tomorrow and have a chat with them about it.

What did they say?

Regards.

If you keep reading:

I did keep reading, and I read very well, thank you. :laugh:

Sub-section 5, part (f) should not be taken out of context and Sub-section 5 must be read as a whole.

Selective pieces of it cannot be taken to mean something that is not implied.

Sub-section 5 refers to areas other than public places, not footpaths etc.

For example, a dog may be teathered to the back of a ute.

The back of a ute is not a public place, or a place of exception, such as an offleash area.

Sub-section 5 part (f), specifically, and in particular, does not refer to teathering a dog to a post in a public place.

That is why Sub-section 5 is needed, it is a different circumstance to Sub-section 1.

Sub-section 1 and Sub-section 5 are different they are not the same.

And they are not interchangable.

Further, "Just because a dog is not on a lead in an off-leash area, or is secured in a cage or vehicle or is tethered to a fixed object or structure, does not mean that an offence under section 16 is not committed if the dog rushes at, attacks, bites, harasses or chases any person or animal, whether or not any injury is caused."

Leave your dog unattended away from your property at your own peril.

Edited by Tralee

I'm one brave enough to vote that I would leave my dogs outside a supermarket

but it was when I lived in a very small town, everyone knew they were my dogs, I tied them up very well (although I must confess one day some how Flash wasn't tied up at all but he just sat there as if he was) whilst I popped into the supermarket. If the checkout line was longer than normal, and we are only talking a couple of minutes, I used to just go and see if they were okay.

I would not do it in a bigger town at all.

Edited by Ons

Guest Maeby Fünke

I'm one brave enough to vote that I would leave my dogs outside a supermarket

but it was when I lived in a very small town, everyone knew they were my dogs, I tied them up very well (although I must confess one day some how Flash wasn't tied up at all but he just sat there as if he was) whilst I popped into the supermarket. If the checkout line was longer than normal, and we are only talking a couple of minutes, I used to just go and see if they were okay.

I would not do it in a bigger town at all.

Ha ha, good on you Ons! :)

If it has shade and water whats the problem?

It gets to see lots of things going on, and might well enjoy it.

I personally would never do it, just because i woud worry about them being pinched or annoyed by poeple.

You've just answered your own question. My first fear would be someone taking the end of the lead and taking the dog away. In fact, it happened last week as outlined on 3AW. Why take the risk?

I recall a dog getting a parking ticket a few years ago for being parked illegally, tied to a pole in the street for a few minutes. They attached the ticket to the dogs collar.

I remember that. It was an Australian council. Can't remember where exactly.

ADDED: Found it:

http://www.news.com.au/national-old/dog-in-northern-territory-given-parking-ticket/story-e6frfkvr-1225768604662

I don't like seeing a dog tied up outside the shopping centre, either. So many reasons.

I'd never put my tibbies in such a vulnerable position. And they'd be magnets for theft.

Edited by mita

I've done it but only when I can still see her - my problem is that she does the most heart-wrenching howls :laugh:

That's fine, IMO. She's under your supervision.

And maybe those howls will turn potential thieves off! :) I'd encourage her to keep them up. :) :)

Im not a fan of it.

I wouldnt do it to start with because my dog is dog aggressive, all it would take is another dog in sight for her to start going crazy, i also wouldnt risk her being stolen.

I hate other people doing it because (when im able to) i often walk my dog down town, if there are dogs on leads tied up i get worried, if they go off at my girl or their lead isnt tight enough who knows what would happen.

There is an idiot in town who has a 6ft lead on his two dogs and ties them up all over the place, while they just find a spot and lay down... the spot is always on the other side of the path and people have to dodge them or step over leads.

left mine outside the general store and then the bread shop this morn, as it was better than the car and saved me going back to the shops ,after dropping the dogs off home , was only for mere mins at each

How long does it take someone to kick a dog? How long does it take someone to take a lead off and for a dog to run into traffic? How long does it take for someone to steal a dog? A lot less than a couple of minutes.

left mine outside the general store and then the bread shop this morn, as it was better than the car and saved me going back to the shops ,after dropping the dogs off home , was only for mere mins at each

How long does it take someone to kick a dog? How long does it take someone to take a lead off and for a dog to run into traffic? How long does it take for someone to steal a dog? A lot less than a couple of minutes.

This is not a feral shopping center ,it is small town local shops , losts poeple round , I don't tie them in heavy traffic area , god help the person that touches my dogs ! I am nasty in defense of my dogs . constantly pop my head out to check on them . i would not leave them outside a big shopping center , too many udesirablesd

some people are paranoid that there is always something bad going to happen :confused: you need to make a decisoon based on the locality , my area is not feralville :laugh:

Growing up I would always walk my dog down to the corner store and tie her out the front to buy milk. I could see her and it really was a regular occurrence- you could have e 3 or 4 dogs tethered at once during rush hr :laugh:

I wish I had a local corner store so I could still do it but they are few and far between :(

I certainly wouldn't leave them outside a supermarket or anywhere I couldn't see them the entire time. I do regularly walk to the shop with other family members so one of us can pop in and pick things up while the other sits with the dogs.

I never have but that isn't to say that one day I may if the absolute need arose. But not for any longer than it would take to run in and get one or two items, maybe only five minutes, if that. But my preference is not to, I would much prefer to take the dogs home and then go back to the supermarket knowing I don't have to worry about something happening to them. I would be scared that they would be stolen as iggies are cute [to most people anyway], not a well known breed, wouldn't put up any resistance even if they could and are small and light enough for even a child to pick up and carry away.

Very scary thought! :eek:

Edited by iggy mum

Did the woman in the supermarket know if the woman with the newfy was inside the supermarket? Maybe if you see the dog again, ask the person on the desk to put a call out over the comms system for her to see to her dog.

I didn't think to ask her that... And she didn't say. I might phone the manager of the supermarket tomorrow and have a chat with them about it.

What did they say?

Did you call?

This is not a feral shopping center ,it is small town local shops , losts poeple round , I don't tie them in heavy traffic area , god help the person that touches my dogs ! I am nasty in defense of my dogs . constantly pop my head out to check on them . i would not leave them outside a big shopping center , too many udesirablesd

some people are paranoid that there is always something bad going to happen :confused: you need to make a decisoon based on the locality , my area is not feralville :laugh:

I don't make decisions based on locality, I make decisions based on people.

Guest Maeby Fünke

What did they say?

Did you call?

Sorry I missed this Rozzie...

No, I've decided not to do anything about it for now... But if I see the Newfy tied up outside the supermarket again, for over an hour, then I will speak to the manager.

I'm pretty sure it was close to an hour and a half too. This is because I did my shopping in 45 minutes and, when I had finished, the Newfy was still there. This is when I decided to speak to the checkout chick. And after that I hung around for over 25 minutes, waiting to see if the owner would turn up.

I'm not sure if I said this before, but the thought crossed my mind that the Newfy had been abandoned.

In the time that I hung around, the Newfy attracted a fair amount of attention from passers-by... Some people stopped to express their concern for "the poor dog" and how "sad" it looked - I'm not kidding. It was also the busiest time of day, on a Friday, when the ferals go to the supermarket to pick up their cases of beer :laugh:

I was worried about someone letting the Newfy off his/her leash and him/her running into the street and getting hit by a car.

Also, to me, a Newfy is a special kind of dog... And I wouldn't leave a beautiful, expensive dog like that in such a crummy neighbourhood.

Edited by Maeby Fünke