Leaving Dogs Tethered Outside The Supermarket

Guest Maeby Fünke

198 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever leave your dogs tethered (unattended) outside the supermarket?

• Yes, but for no more than 1 hour
    • Yes, but for no more than 30 minutes
    • Yes, but for no more than 15 minutes
    • Yes, but for no more than 5 minutes
    • No, not under any circumstances

1360360114[/url]' post='6117369']

I don't think you should worry. If the dog has water and shelter and does not seem distressed you can't do much about it.

thumbsup1.gif Agree!

It's not something I would do, but honestly the last thing we need is authorities making general laws to further limit the places we can take our dogs!

And

It is already hard enough to get the RSPCA to respond & act in cases of genuine cruelty, wasting their time with things like this is probably why.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not your suburb , not your dog.....not the way you choose to live ...but for them it works. The dog is under shelter and has water and is obviously known by locals ...everyone seems happy.

If this is a regular occurrence , and no one has yet called the 'authorities' why would you want to disturb the staus quo?

Think of how the owner's life may be disrupted if you report it ?

I used to leave Kieran tied outside the shops in my town .... he , and the little kids just LOVED it ....he had endless hugs and admirers...

and , your comments about the dress etc of the residents ..that is certainly not the most thoughtful post .......

I do agree .. just leave them to live their lives .....

Agree fully with this :thumbsup: The dog probably looks forward to its regular outings to the shopping centre. Better to by tied up in the shade with water, than left out in the car in the hot sun. Sounds like it has a very caring owner who could be quite distressed if he/she couldn't take her dog with her/him just because one person...you....didn't like it. A dog being tied up at home for an hour at a time is no big deal to a dog. Plenty of people to keep an eye on it.

I wouldn't do it unless it was a last resort. I would be worried about someone stealing my dogs.

Edited by sheena

I wouldn't do it

especially after I heard of a 14 yr old blind cocker spaniel who was taken from where she was tied up by her elderly owner while he whent into the shop to get his few groceries

apparently it was a regular walk for them both , but sadly one day she was taken :(

and I beleive hasnt been returned

Seriously? Don't go reporting if it's none of your business. Dog was tied up for an hour in the shade with water. So??? The worst that can happen is a child or dog or human pushing the dog's boundaries but that's not your problem. confused.gif You never know, she might be watching her dog the entire time or have someone who is able to watch it as well.

I can't imagine a much harder dog to steal than a newfie. They tend to be super-loyal to their owners to the point of being a baby-sitter, guardian and personal marine rescue service. Just quietly and without fuss. If they don't want to go with you, good luck trying to carry it away.

I can't imagine a much harder dog to steal than a newfie. They tend to be super-loyal to their owners to the point of being a baby-sitter, guardian and personal marine rescue service. Just quietly and without fuss. If they don't want to go with you, good luck trying to carry it away.

Dammit! I'm sold now haha they're beautiful embarrass.gif

That is true :laugh:

That is true :laugh:

Yep agree. I taught one that decided he didn't want to go in the car and he was just a pup. No way in hell could the owner get him to budge!

Seriously? Don't go reporting if it's none of your business. Dog was tied up for an hour in the shade with water. So??? The worst that can happen is a child or dog or human pushing the dog's boundaries but that's not your problem. confused.gif You never know, she might be watching her dog the entire time or have someone who is able to watch it as well.

Yes I was thinking they may have been able to see the dog. I wouldn't do it myself, I would worry they would be stolen especially Stan who would willingly get in anyones car if it meant he didn't have to walk home. I wouldn't report it.

I'm pretty sure dogs unattended aren't considered to be "under effective control" and are therefore able to be picked up by rangers etc if they see a need, even without a report.

No wonder so many dogs lives are just in the back yard.

You can't go anywhere or do anything anymore, its all too bloody hard trying to please everyone with every little thing & it keeps changing. You dog can be gone from anywhere now, even your own property & you didn't think you were doing anything wrong.

I would be so outraged if I went in a shop for a few minutes, tied my dog up safely & it had been seized by the ranger because someone complained. Never thought of that.

I don't leave my dogs anywhere now. Too many odd people around well meaning or not.

I think the fact the dog has water, is in the shade and not there all day, says to me the dog is well loved. If it was in the heat, it would be a different story. I personally would never leave my dog unattended for fear of being stolen.

If you're that worried you could hang around for the two hours for the owner to come back and then start a light conversation about the dog...the beauty of it and then lead in with what a good dog it is to wait so patiently. If you play it right, you could probably get the background story...and maybe use the conversation to express your concern in a nice way. I.e. Nonconfrontational.

Guest Maeby Fünke

The owner may well be able to see the dog from where they are (or maybe not). If the dog looks healthy, and has shade and water, and isn't bothering anyone, I would leave well alone.

Whether the dog is at risk of being stolen is really for no-one else but the owner to worry about. I wouldn't do it with my dog, but if they are comfortable doing that, then it's their business.

Who knows what they are doing and why, but they obviously are thinking about their dog enough to tie it up securely, and provide it with shade and water for its comfort and wellbeing.

This doesn't sound like a dog that's got a tough life and isn't cared about.

You've made some very good points here; thanks for your feedback :)

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

Was it under any kind of shelter?

Used to be lots of dogs tied up outside our local supermarket but last week they put signs up saying its not allowed anymore.

I would never do it. Too risky and not fair to the dog.

I guess you could call the council and ask them if they have a policy on this, I don't know if they'd care? Knowing the RSPCA, long as the dog has water and shelter it's all goodo!

Yes, he/she was under shelter and in the shade.

I might call the council and ask what their policy is... That's a good idea, thanks :)

Also, the suburb that this supermarket is in (I live 15 minutes away in the next town) has a druggie culture and it's full of bogans and ferals... This is where I saw the woman wearing trackie pants with high heels. All the women look like clapped out old strippers... It's not a nice place.

However this kind of population often has a high dog ownership and their dogs are absolutely adored. Behaviour may be different to ours but is what they can do given circumstances.

I think this thread centres on does this person need some feedback that their dog is getting noticed and people are concerned for its welfare...so there would be a number of routes...council, rspca, someone saying something directly.

I think personally I might do the council first, see if they are interested, they do control pet ownership within the council area and footpaths. The other thing is that I have seen shopping centres that issue signs out front saying NO DOGS to be tied up outside. The fact that the owner is leaving water suggests they do care and are aware that they are leaving it for a lengthy time.

As Aloysha and Juice point out it actually may be of little concern as the dog is used to it, gets attention and if in shade with water is fine.

Concerned people may be more of a hazard for the dog then the actual situation and Newfies may attract more attention than another ore common breed too.

Thanks for pointing this out :)

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

I don't think you should worry. If the dog has water and shelter and does not seem distressed you can't do much about it.

As to people wearing track pants and high heels - so what? Have you seen the way "celebrities" dress? :D

Sorry, I wasn't expressing myself very well; my comments weren't meant as a reflection of the owner :)

eta

That comment in particular was meant as a reference to a recent, light-hearted thread about harem pants ('poo catchers').

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

Not your suburb , not your dog.....not the way you choose to live ...but for them it works.

I'm sorry if I wasn't being clear; the suburb is a part of my district/community.

Yes I was thinking they may have been able to see the dog. I wouldn't do it myself, I would worry they would be stolen especially Stan who would willingly get in anyones car if it meant he didn't have to walk home. I wouldn't report it.

Stan is awesome :laugh: