Leaving Dogs Tethered Outside The Supermarket

Guest Maeby Fünke

198 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever leave your dogs tethered (unattended) outside the supermarket?

• Yes, but for no more than 1 hour
    • Yes, but for no more than 30 minutes
    • Yes, but for no more than 15 minutes
    • Yes, but for no more than 5 minutes
    • No, not under any circumstances

Guest Maeby Fünke

I've been umming and ahhing all afternoon about whether or not to post this...

Today I saw a Newfoundland that was tied up outside my local supermarket. Without any exaggeration, the Newfy was left there for over an hour. He/she was left with a small water bowl, but I still don't think that's okay. There was also a small group of people standing in front of the Newfy, expressing their concern. I asked a woman working at the customer service desk about the Newfy (she has a full view of the front window and street), and she said that the owner leaves the Newfy tied up there almost every day.

I still have the image of the Newfy's sad face in my mind... I'm wondering if I should I talk to someone at the RSPCA or the council about it. Or should I mind my own business? I'm not sure what to do. It just doesn't seem right to me :(

Also, I have no idea about how common or accepted this is, or whether it's legal... I just know that I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my own dogs like that, especially for such a long time.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it under any kind of shelter?

Used to be lots of dogs tied up outside our local supermarket but last week they put signs up saying its not allowed anymore.

I would never do it. Too risky and not fair to the dog.

I guess you could call the council and ask them if they have a policy on this, I don't know if they'd care? Knowing the RSPCA, long as the dog has water and shelter it's all goodo!

Guest Maeby Fünke

Was it under any kind of shelter?

Used to be lots of dogs tied up outside our local supermarket but last week they put signs up saying its not allowed anymore.

I would never do it. Too risky and not fair to the dog.

I guess you could call the council and ask them if they have a policy on this, I don't know if they'd care? Knowing the RSPCA, long as the dog has water and shelter it's all goodo!

Yes, he/she was under shelter and in the shade.

I might call the council and ask what their policy is... That's a good idea, thanks :)

Also, the suburb that this supermarket is in (I live 15 minutes away in the next town) has a druggie culture and it's full of bogans and ferals... This is where I saw the woman wearing trackie pants with high heels. All the women look like clapped out old strippers... It's not a nice place.

Guest Maeby Fünke

The RSPCA would not be able to do much about it. Not because they dont care but because legally, their hands are pretty well tied if the dog is under shelter and has water. Maybe contact the council?

I think I'd feel better just knowing what the law is... My gut feeling is telling me it's wrong, but, you're right, the RSPCA wouldn't be interested.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Did the woman in the supermarket know if the woman with the newfy was inside the supermarket? Maybe if you see the dog again, ask the person on the desk to put a call out over the comms system for her to see to her dog.

I didn't think to ask her that... And she didn't say. I might phone the manager of the supermarket tomorrow and have a chat with them about it.

People often tie their dogs up outside our supermarket. They often leave bowls of water out there for them too. I think it's OK if the dog isn't aggressive, I dont think there's a law against it although I've never investigated that. They cant leave them loose, and they cant bring them into the supermarket. I wouldn't do it for fear of my dogs being stolen but I have in the past for a short time.

Guest Maeby Fünke

I've personally never understood the "oh I'm going grocery shopping. Better take the dog too" mentality. Most of my local grocery stores are in shopping centres with clearly marked "no dogs" signs anyway.

I'd be worried about someone stealing the dog.

Me either.

It made me feel sad because I imagined leaving my own dogs there... And I know how they'd feel.

And the Newfy looked really unhappy and uncomfortable with being left there. The look on his/her face... If you could have seen it, it would have just broken your heart :(

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

Anyway, I don't want to make you all feel sad...

I will have a chat with the supermarket manager and the council, and possibly the RSPCA too, and get back to you :)

Years ago it was a fairly ordinary thing to take your dog to the shops & leave it outside for a short time in suitable weather. We didn't have to worry about dogs getting stolen for breeding or anyone doing anything horrible to it either. Its not illegal but its not safe for the dogs anymore. I did it in England 40 years ago with big dogs when I was just nipping inside for 1 or 2 things.

Nothing you can do & not worth reporting unless the dog is suffering, like in extreme heat or has been abandoned.

The owner may well be able to see the dog from where they are (or maybe not). If the dog looks healthy, and has shade and water, and isn't bothering anyone, I would leave well alone.

Whether the dog is at risk of being stolen is really for no-one else but the owner to worry about. I wouldn't do it with my dog, but if they are comfortable doing that, then it's their business.

Who knows what they are doing and why, but they obviously are thinking about their dog enough to tie it up securely, and provide it with shade and water for its comfort and wellbeing.

This doesn't sound like a dog that's got a tough life and isn't cared about.

Edited by Willow