Leaving Dogs Tethered Outside The Supermarket

Guest Maeby Fünke

198 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever leave your dogs tethered (unattended) outside the supermarket?

• Yes, but for no more than 1 hour
    • Yes, but for no more than 30 minutes
    • Yes, but for no more than 15 minutes
    • Yes, but for no more than 5 minutes
    • No, not under any circumstances

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs are kept in a secure fenced yard and always have been, I would never even in my wildest dreams think that leaving them tied up outside shops or anywhere is acceptable. It would be like leaving one of your kids sitting outside on a bus seat at a shop while you went and did some shopping, and hoping they would still be there when you came back. Even when we were showing our dogs, there was always someone with them.

Once upon a time I used to take the family dog down to the supermarket and leave her tied up. I'd never do it now. I have very rarely left my current girl tied up outside the local corner shop for the time it takes to buy a carton of milk, and that's with my eye on her and nobody about. My dad quite recently left his dog tied outside the supermarket and came back out to find that the dog had been let loose - whether to steal or just for laughs we will never know, but his dog is very nervous so it's possible that the intent was theft but he ran away from whoever undid his collar. Given his nervousness, it's incredibly lucky the poor boy didn't run onto the road, into the path of a car in the carpark, or even onto the nearby railway.

That said, people can do weird things even when you're standing there with your dog on leash. I once had someone try to (I assume) provoke my dog by flicking his hand right in her face and shouting "yah!" as I was standing with her in a busy shopping strip, giving way to people trying to get past some cafe seating on a fairly narrow footpath. Goodness knows what he might have done to an unattended dog, and if he had tried that with a reactive dog I hate to think what could have happened!

I can't really say I would never leave my lad tied up unattended because I have done it at the dog park when I was helping a person get her humongous dog in the car (he didn't want to leave and she was trying to lift him in)..

So I tied Zig to the post (as I already had him out of the car and walked to the gate of the park)..

It only took a minute and I could see him the whole time.

The thought of someone stealing him is to great for me to leave him anywhere unattended (I was the same with Ollie dog)..

I don't leave Jodie except at the bread shop when I can see up and down the street along the very wide footpath and take the one step into the shop to pay. She's nervy.

I leave Stevie sometimes, in a down stay or tied to whatever's convenient, at shop doorways, when I've considered who's in the street, how long I might be, and any other circumstances. She's pretty solid and I keep an eye on her. In fact she keeps an eye on me just in case I walk out with icecream :o

Guest Maeby Fünke

Actually, I don't think the poll option of leaving your dog outside a supermarket for 5 minutes is realistic... It would take longer than that to find what you're looking for and get through the checkout.

And a lot can happen in just a few minutes, as others have said.

Actually, I don't think the poll option of leaving your dog outside a supermarket for 5 minutes is realistic... It would take longer than that to find what you're looking for and get through the checkout.

Way to contradict yourself.

Done it many times.

Would not recommend it.

Will only be doing it in future, very guardedly.

Great thread for a dog forum BTW

My dogs are kept in a secure fenced yard and always have been, I would never even in my wildest dreams think that leaving them tied up outside shops or anywhere is acceptable. It would be like leaving one of your kids sitting outside on a bus seat at a shop while you went and did some shopping, and hoping they would still be there when you came back. Even when we were showing our dogs, there was always someone with them.

I'm the same. When I lived in Perth & wanted to get some beer, I could have walked the 200m to the liquor store up the road, but I would have to leave Kenny outside. Instead I walked the 1km to the local pub & went to the drive through, where they would get my beer & a bowl of water for Kenny. Mind you. Kenny wasn't happy having to walk that far, why are all my dogs lazy buggers? :rofl:

Guest Maeby Fünke

Way to contradict yourself.

Done it many times.

Would not recommend it.

Will only be doing it in future, very guardedly.

Great thread for a dog forum BTW

Did I contradict myself? Oh, do you mean because the thread is about a Newfy being left for over an hour?

I don't think it's a good idea for any length of time, for many reasons.

I do see it quite often around here at the suburban shopping centers we have in Canberra. I often wonder whether anyone would actually know or do anything if someone other than the dog's owner came and untied it and took it.

I try to hang around if I'm not in a rush and watch the person who comes back to take the dog. Sometimes the dog reacts as tho that's clearly their owner but sometimes they're pretty chilled so you really couldn't be sure. I've never seen a dog actively resisting someone though so I haven't said anything - not that I'd really have any right to, it's not like I can say prove to me that's your dog.

Just remembered too, the other day there was medium sized poodle x tied up outside the shop dancing around and crying, I slowly approached and checked that he was friendly, he stopped crying and jumped all over me for pats, tail wagging a mile a minute. I'm sure if i'd wanted to he would have willingly come with me.

I've done it twice in my life, both times last year. First when I had to take a bunch of books back to uni and I had Carl with me. It was way too hot to leave him in the car, so I tied him up outside (through glass doors, within my sight) while I put the books in the chute. The second time was when I tied him right outside the door of an IGA and went inside for <2 mins to get a drink. I kept sticking my head outside to make sure he was still there. :laugh: Carl would bark his head off if someone tried to untether him, anyway. I won't be doing it again!

Is this in NSW? If so, the dog is considered under effective control if it is tethered to a fixed structure.

I'm not sure that is the correct interpretation melzawelza.

13 Responsibilities while dog in public place

(1) A dog that is in a public place must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held by (or secured to) the person.

NSW Companion Animals Act 1998

I believe a dog teathered to a fixed object or structure is not held or secured to a person and further, it is only permitted in off-leash type areas. This is understood in regard to the meaning of 'on leash' which is inclusive of being held (or secured to) the person.

Regards.

See 5 (f) of that very same section:

(5) This section does not apply to:

(a) a dog accompanied by some competent person in an area declared to be an off-leash area by a declaration under this section (but only if the total number of dogs that the person is accompanied by or has control of does not exceed 4), or

(b) a dog engaged in the droving, tending or working of stock, or

© a dog being exhibited for show purposes, or

(d) a dog participating in an obedience class, trial or exhibition, or

(e) a police dog, or

(e1) a corrective services dog, or

(f) a dog secured in a cage or vehicle or tethered to a fixed object or structure.

Edited by melzawelza

Is this in NSW? If so, the dog is considered under effective control if it is tethered to a fixed structure.

I'm not sure that is the correct interpretation melzawelza.

13 Responsibilities while dog in public place

(1) A dog that is in a public place must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held by (or secured to) the person.

NSW Companion Animals Act 1998

I believe a dog teathered to a fixed object or structure is not held or secured to a person and further, it is only permitted in off-leash type areas. This is understood in regard to the meaning of 'on leash' which is inclusive of being held (or secured to) the person.

Regards.

If you keep reading:

(5) This section does not apply to:

(f) a dog secured in a cage or vehicle or tethered to a fixed object or structure.

It is legal, but as you said earlier you could still be charged depending on the dog's behaviour while secured.

I did keep reading, and I read very well, thank you. :laugh:

Sub-section 5, part (f) should not be taken out of context and Sub-section 5 must be read as a whole.

Selective pieces of it cannot be taken to mean something that is not implied.

Sub-section 5 refers to areas other than public places, not footpaths etc.

For example, a dog may be teathered to the back of a ute.

The back of a ute is not a public place, or a place of exception, such as an offleash area.

Sub-section 5 part (f), specifically, and in particular, does not refer to teathering a dog to a post in a public place.

That is why Sub-section 5 is needed, it is a different circumstance to Sub-section 1.

Sub-section 1 and Sub-section 5 are different they are not the same.

And they are not interchangable.

Further, "Just because a dog is not on a lead in an off-leash area, or is secured in a cage or vehicle or is tethered to a fixed object or structure, does not mean that an offence under section 16 is not committed if the dog rushes at, attacks, bites, harasses or chases any person or animal, whether or not any injury is caused."

Leave your dog unattended away from your property at your own peril.

It doesn't say 'this sub-section doesn't apply' it says this Section doesn't apply. Meaning Section 13. Meaning the part about being held by an owner. It is perfectly legal to leave your dog tethered. If it wasn't I'd be able to spend my whole day booking people for it if I wanted to.

I agree that leaving your dog tethered is mental and I'd never do it, but it is definitely legal in NSW to do so. If your dog bites someone while tethered you can have action taken against you, just like if your dog bites someone while you're walking it down the street you can have action taken against you.

The second time was when I tied him right outside the door of an IGA and went inside for <2 mins to get a drink.

For those that do this, please consider that persons with assistance dogs might be forced to either wait until you come out or run the gauntlet and hope that dog right outside the door is well tethered and not DA. It could be frightening for a vision impaired person with their guide dog to suddenly find themselves within reach of another dog while exiting the building.

The second time was when I tied him right outside the door of an IGA and went inside for <2 mins to get a drink.

For those that do this, please consider that persons with assistance dogs might be forced to either wait until you come out or run the gauntlet and hope that dog right outside the door is well tethered and not DA. It could be frightening for a vision impaired person with their guide dog to suddenly find themselves within reach of another dog while exiting the building.

Exactly, it affects more than just the owner and the dog. There could be small children who are scared of dogs (or adults who are scared of dogs!), toddlers who don't need a dog to jump on them or rush at them, or anything. It's just irresponsible and selfish.

I think it's generally not a great idea, and wouldn't be encouraging people to do it, but as with many things, there's a time and a place where it may be appropriate. I have left my fear aggressive boy tied up outside a shop technically unattended. I'd just walked about 3km with two dogs to the chinese restaurant (at about 9pm), I tied them to a tree as far from the entrance as I could (where I could still see them), and literally ducked inside for about 1 minute to order my food, pay them and ask for a plastic container because I'd forgotten their collapsible bowl. Worked out well, though I wouldn't make a habit of it. Also, by the time I walked home with them (including a detour because there were some other people walking their dog the same direction I was going and Thundercleese wasn't having a bar of that), my food was cold and I had to microwave it.