Caring Too Much For Your Dog

mantis

I'm a member of a footy forum & they bag me about the way I care about my dogs. When I said today that Cougar was cool because she had a cooling vest, they freaked out & said they wished there were fines for people who care too much about their dogs. WTF. Is it really weird that people look after their dogs welfare?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

I'd say they were just trying to stir you up!

You can never care too much for your dog, they are family.

I am waiting any day now for my leopard print dog car seat to arrive, it has little seat belt straps for their harnesses and is soooper cute! We are allowed to spoil them :D

Edited by donatella

Totally agree with Donatella. I dont' think that you can ever care too much for your fur kid let alone anyone.

Just because they don't feel the same value of companion animals/dogs does not mean they need to disregard yours.

I hate how some people don't appreciate and value dogs as human companions and part of the family, instead treat it like some live accessory to have around.

That is also the reason why there are so many of them who have temperament issues because they are uncared and unattended to, and end up in poundsicon_smile_mad.gif.

Even if I go by a few weeks low on groceries, I will always make sure my fur babies human grade meat and premium kibble is well stocked and on top of it!!!thumbsup1.giflaugh.gif

I would not worry about what a football forum says about dogs, that's an environment where people aren't going to admit to being soft about their dogs.

On the other hand, I do think that sometimes people let it get out of hand because they are looking for avenues to express their love for their dog, and buying stuff is an easy way to do it. I am not addressing my remarks to the OP here, just a general observation.

Salukis in cool coats for example, Labradors in winter coats while exercising. Booties, goggles etc. Those items all have their place in limited circumstances for a limited number of breeds, and as a showie I have some comfort items that specifically relate to the breed's disposition in certain weather (fans for the Irish Wolfhound for example).

Ultimately I think that like kids tho', the best sort of love we can usually give a dog is to spend time exercising and training the dog so that it is in peak physical condition for its breed, rather than just buying more accessories.

As a breeder I'd also be worried about a Saluki that couldn't keep cool in the shade in temps we get here, and I certainly wouldn't breed from one that needed booties.

I'm a member of a footy forum & they bag me about the way I care about my dogs. When I said today that Cougar was cool because she had a cooling vest, they freaked out & said they wished there were fines for people who care too much about their dogs. WTF. Is it really weird that people look after their dogs welfare?

Says it all really... perhaps it was there way of telling you to bugger off and go talk dog elsewhere

I think some do go way OTT and even become obsessed with there dogs well being, but what I think is over the top may also be way *over over the top to someone else.

As for the fines for caring about a dogs well being I think the footy mates are just dribbling, they couldn't be serious.

I get this all the time. I can't count the number of close friends and family who have said to me that caring for my dog is ruining my life.

No, caring for my dog IS a key part of my life, I love her, she's my best friend and who wouldn't spend time caring for their best friend and trying to make sure they were happy?

To be honest, at times I've thought a little bit less of people who have said things like this to me, because loyalty and kindness are qualities I value - anyone that wouldn't show those qualities to a animal sharing their home I don't really care to know.

My dog isn't spoilt, she doesn't have coats or accessories (unless you count her thundershirt lol), but I do devote time and energy to ensuring her happiness and what exactly is so wrong with that?!

:o um.... I think you might have hit a nerve!

Says it all really... perhaps it was there way of telling you to bugger off and go talk dog elsewhere

This made me laugh.

Honestly, Mantis, ditch the Footy Forum (they are probably all on drugs LOL) and take Cougar for a walk in her cooling vest. :thumbsup:

and this is coming from people that are into football , hmmmm laugh.gif

:laugh: :laugh: A bit off topic, but years ago, I was out walking the dogs, rounded a corner and there, sitting on her doorstep waiting for her lift to the footy was a woman I was acquainted with, attired in all her football regalia: hat, scarf, t-shirt, etc etc. It was all I could do to keep a straight face. This woman was well past middle age - - - -

Although i agree you can never care too much, you can definitely over do things, and be over protective and be over cautious. Both with dogs and kids for that matter.

Unfortunately it's a product of today's society, and the fact that all we hear all day and all we read all day is about just how dangerous everything in the big bad world is.

Personally i would've loved to be around many years back when due to a lack of media scare mongering, people where a little more care free.

I absolutely hate that as a society we are scared sh!tless of living!! - Excuse the language.

People call me nuts, because i let my kids play outside every evening after they've done their homework and they don't come back in till it's dark. In the suburbs!!

i also don't wrap my dog in cotton wool, and let hime be a dog. Yes i make sure he has the best food, and best bed, but if he wants to climb the cubby house, or roll in the mud, or play in the rain on a cold day, or sprint around the backyard on hot day, then so be it. He'll quickly learn that doing some of that doesn't make sense.

Bit of a rant, but long story short, you can never care too much, but my God do we (today's society) overdo things!

I've had a number of people tell me when they die they hope to come back as one of my dogs :laugh:

I know they think what I do for my dogs is over the top but I don't really care.

I get this all the time. Some people have even said that I need to be certified because of the way I treat my dogs. I adore my dogs & the love & enjoyment they bring me is immeasurable.

They are my family & I do whatever it takes to ensure they don't want for anything.

It's the very least I can do for them. And I couldn't care less what others think. If they don't "approve" tuff luck to them. They don't know what their missing :)

and this is coming from people that are into football , hmmmm laugh.gif

:laugh: :laugh: A bit off topic, but years ago, I was out walking the dogs, rounded a corner and there, sitting on her doorstep waiting for her lift to the footy was a woman I was acquainted with, attired in all her football regalia: hat, scarf, t-shirt, etc etc. It was all I could do to keep a straight face. This woman was well past middle age - - - -

Yep thats why I wrote that, Ive also observed people who are like that laugh.gif

Most people have something they are really passionate and even obsessive about.. ours just happens to be our dogs biggrin.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs