When Dogs & Cats Fight

samoyedman

It aint pretty. :(

Mine awoke at 2.30am this morning and went to the back door. Thinking he wanted to wee, I let him out and instantly he was sprinting after a cat.

It had a collar and looked young so I'm assuming it wasnt feral. There was lots of yelping and screaming by both feline and canine as they fought tooth and claw. It was short and vicious. I had to pull my dog off. He now has a cut tongue. I went out to look for the cat but no sign of it so I hope its okay.

When you see them fight like this and hear those yelps of pain, it tears at your heart. He is 6.5 years old, a softy and never been in a fight before.

(Any tips for getting blood stains out of plain carpet would be appreciated.)

Warm/hot water with a bit of dishwashing detergent and a small amount of engine degreaser works wonders for getting blood out of carpet. Just make sure the carpet isn't a cheap polyester blend, or the degreaser can actually melt it... errr! Test in an out of the way spot before applying to the area you want to clean first.

If the cat has buggered off, don't pay it another thought - they are tougher than they look. You just need to make sure your dog is OK.

T.

I'd probably get him checked by the vet and onto some ABs. Cat bites are nasty and almost always get infected. Silly boy!

I'd second that- speaking from painful personal experince.

A tiny unseen scratch can go on to become an abscess and OHMYF***INGGOD, they hurt.

I hope your dog is fine. Good idea just to check with the vet. And you might happen to come upon someone in the waiting room with an injured puss. But joking aside (& its no joking matter), good on you for having concern for the cat, too (even tho' it was out of its territory).

There was a ginger puss in this area that drove dog owners crazy by driving their dogs crazy. It knew how to intimidate and annoy dogs, but stay safe.

One day it came trotting thro' our garden past our Himalayan Persian cat. Rosie, who looked like a pile of beautiful cream fairy dust. But she had the heart of an assassin. Rosie ripped into the ginger cat & was pummeling it into the ground mercilessly. A dog owner next door who loathed the ginger cat came flying over the fence to save it! He said he couldn't even see his worst enemy being turned into compost before his eyes. Ginger puss never visited again... and even stayed away from the adjoining yards.

Edited by mita

Second the vet. Years ago my brother dog grabbed one of the resident farm cats (they were there when we brought the property) and after a 20 min struggle we finally got her to let the cat go. I ended up in hospital due to to cat bites on my hand, my brothers dog had to go to vet due to her head swelling up like a balloon the next day and the cat barely had a mark on her!

Got him checked at the vet and he has been put on anti-infections just in case.

Other than the cut no other signs of injury. He seems as buoyant as ever and the bleeding has stopped.

Yes yes. I'll be the first to say it. A cat got his tongue. :laugh:

Other than the cut no other signs of injury. He seems as buoyant as ever and the bleeding has stopped.

I'm glad your boy is ok but he might have bitten his own tongue :D

I think we're all just relieved that we didn't have to say it :laugh: