Vaccinations For Older Dogs

PeiPei

My two Shar Pei girls are due for their vaccinations this month and I am feeling a little conflicted about having them redone.

Both are older girls (9 & 10 years old)...They are healthy but are getting old for Shar Pei...

One has Shar Pei Fever, thyroid problems and has had a few lumps removed…The other suffers with mild skin problems and has also had a few lumps removed.

I previously had the three year vaccination done for them.

Lately I have been reading numerous warnings about over vaccinating pets / older pets and I am worried that I might affect their health either way.

I tend to follow a more natural care plan and would love helpful some advice on what I should do.

Most vets recommend it but I often wonder if this is the best advice to follow as they make a lot of money by vaccinating.

Please help as I’d like to be able to make a firm educated decision.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last few years our dog who is 13 has had a lump come up after vaccinations and it started to shrink but stay not disappear. A month or so back when she had the new 3 year vaccination (apparently standard at our vet no choice they just use it) plus the KC one she actually didn't have a lump that stayed just a small one that went. I think the new one actually better with her.

Considering older dogs will suffer more with things like Kennel cough (they can die if unlucky unless its treated with antibiotics to prevent secondary infection and lets not even mention parvo) if they get it I reckon better to get the jab. Old dogs are like older people if you trust your vet and they recommend vaccinations and you dogs have not had issues in the past why question it.

I think the best is to do a lot of research into vaccinations as you'll probably get both for and against so it will be up to you in the end. Personally I never vac past the 12/15 month booster and never had a problem. I don't like pumping all those poisons, that includes worming, flea products, etc into my dogs. Worming, fleeing etc only gets done if/when necessary. Guess your location, dogs socializing, etc would also have to come into consideration. Also don't forget with kennel cough there are a number of different strains and all cant be vac'd for.

Agree with Pebbles. My dogs don't get vaccinated beyond the 15 month booster and they only get a C3. I also only worm them once or twice a year and they only get treated for fleas/ticks if they have any (my youngest dog is 14 months old and has never been treated for them at all).

I hate taking medication unless it is very necessary myself and feel the same about my kids and dogs.

I do treat them for heart worm monthly due to the weather up here but it is a tablet for heart worm only, not multiple things.

Yeah its a hard one.. we hadn't done the Cavs for a long time, but did end up getting the 3 yearly one a year or 2 ago.. Im still not convinced they are totally safe... Im conflicted too.

I probably wont be doing Renae again when shes due again if she makes it to then.. She will be 11 soon and hasn't been well lately frown.gif

I am about to give Miah her second vaccinations soon, but will be doing the 3 yearly ones in the future while shes still youngish. I will reassess the situation carefully later..

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

My two Shar Pei girls are due for their vaccinations this month and I am feeling a little conflicted about having them redone.

Both are older girls (9 & 10 years old)...They are healthy but are getting old for Shar Pei...

One has Shar Pei Fever, thyroid problems and has had a few lumps removed…The other suffers with mild skin problems and has also had a few lumps removed.

I previously had the three year vaccination done for them.

Lately I have been reading numerous warnings about over vaccinating pets / older pets and I am worried that I might affect their health either way.

I tend to follow a more natural care plan and would love helpful some advice on what I should do.

Most vets recommend it but I often wonder if this is the best advice to follow as they make a lot of money by vaccinating.

Please help as I’d like to be able to make a firm educated decision.

I personally wouldnt re vaccinate. Not at that age and with those health problems.

Mind you I titre test at 14mths and have rarely had to even give a booster then and my dogs have maintained long term immunity after only their 2 puppy vaccinations. So if you feel uncomfortable not vaccinating titre testing for reassurance may be an option.

This is a long and somewhat over the top paper by the World Small Animal Veterinary Association- http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/files/VaccinationGuidelines2010.pdf

At the very least based on evidence collected for the WSAVA you can leave three years between vaccinations and remain confident that they are working. The problem being that most vaccine makers still recommend annual vaccination so waiting the three years is technically 'off label' and the Veterinarian needs to get informed consent from each client to decide to not follow the manufactures recommendations- some decide that they want to do this, others dont. The Australian Veterinary Association also recommends three years between boosers for the C3

I believe the recommendation is not to vaccinate over 7 (?)

For the past 15 odd years, I have been vaccinating my dogs twice as pups, again at 12 - 14 months, and never again. Their titre levels have been high when tested. I have never had a case of any of the diseases they should be vaccinated against.

They caught kennel cough a few weeks ago- a few coughed for a day or so, some never coughed, but they all recovered without any serious symptoms.

And yes, they do out - on the streets etc. without problems.

My 14 year old hasn't been done since she was about 7, my younger dogs got done 2 years ago, only because they had to go to kennels, otherwise they wouldn't have got done then.

i think when you already have health problems, esp those that can be a reaction to over vaccination, then I wouldn't consider doing them again.

My boy is 10 and I have just had a titre test done to see what his levels are. I don't want to vaccinate unless it is absolutely necessary. Am waiting for the results. If they come back okay I won't vaccinate again. Had to convince the vet to get the test done though. I guess they see a lot of what happens if dogs aren't vaccinated at all.

I also had a thorough exam and baseline blood test done to check liver and kidney function and a urine test. I plan to do those as a wellness check each year for him as sometimes things can creep up and dogs are stoic and won't necessarily look sick until things are quite well advanced.

Wow I hope evyone with un titre tested dogs/ un vaccinated dogs keep them away from anywhere that dog disease might be. There is actually a 3 year vaccine now which as I said my old dog actually handled better than the old annual one. Except the vet said that kennel cough was still yearly.

And you dont want an old dog getting kennel cough (which can be picked up anywhere). Like I said IF you trust your vet talk to them about your concerns. If you dont trust your vet find another that you do trust.

As some mentioned if you dont want to vaccinate get the dog titred tested each year but dont just go - 'oh its fine the dog was vaccinated years ago and they actaully last longer than the vet says cos I read it on the internet'.

Im also just waiting for the younger dog to have his second tetanus injection to start his jabs with that. Many wouldnt worry about that either but mine go around horses occasionally (but even without horses the vet mentioned how even dogs in backyards can just get a cut and be infected so easily - not often but if your dog is the unlucky one their either live because thousands are spent on intensive care and the dog gets lucky or they die a horrible death when a simple vaccination can be proactive in trying to lessen the risk as much as possible).

Rubiton - both my "performance dogs" who have been around plenty of dogs have never been vaccinated for kennel cough (well not the C5 component). My 12.5 year old has never come down with KC and has been exposed to dogs who have come down with it (as is nature when they are out around other dogs at a club training each week).

They can still get KC even if they are vaccinated.

Ness - I guess your older dog has immunity to it which would come up in a titre test but I had to read up on kennel cough (including asking the vet) as the young dog had it just when we were suppose to get him from the rescue so we had to wait due to the older dog.

But then I lived through the era when a kid had Hepatitis in the class and suddenly we were all rushed off for vaccinations I know someone who had polio and can see why vaccinations were brought in and do not think they are 'poison' as you can read on the internet. in fact the only kid disease I didn't have a vaccination for myself was chicken pox because it wasnt around and got as sick as anythign with it as an adult. As for dogs i remember when parvo appeared in the 80s and how grateful dog owners were to be able to access the vaccination to try and prevent infection. Due to vaccination it is unusual to see most of the diseases that are vaccinated for and if they do get kennel cough and others the disease shold not be as severe - which in a young dog not so much a problem but i an old dog they are like old people who they recommend having a flu shot each year.

Since our family dogs have all lived into their teens and all had their vaccinations & heartworm once that came along too (although worming and flea treatment is as needed which is only a couple of times a year for worming and I've never had to treat for fleas and the vet has never had an issue with this). So I guess personally that is why I have no issue with using scientific approaches like vaccinating on teh advce of the vet.