Dogs Not Restrained In Moving Vehicles

Mystiqview

Mine figured out fairly quickly that if you stand on the window control button the window could go down, put the window up and she stood on button again. Had to put the window lock on whenever she is in the car.

I have had a dog fall out the window by accident when she stood on the button luckily l had stopped at the time but made sure that windows were locked after that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it will - based on the size of the dog the worst he can do it be thrown against the back of the front seats. He cannot go over them or through the middle - simply not enough space. If he was in a harness with sufficient length to turn around etc then if the brakes were slammed on he would end up in the exact same place.

Unrestrained though, he will hit the back of the front seats at maximum force which could crush you/your passenger. If he was restrained, he might end up in the same place but hopefully the force would be greatly reduced

Apologies for the minor highjack OP - but I really need to upgrade the restraints in my car. I need some metre long restraints with lead type clips on both ends to clip into the harness and top of the head rests - this would allow the westies to lie down an sit comfortably on the back seat. ( I have a back seat buddy without holes so can't get to the seat belt clicky things - and I don't want to put holes in the back set buddy).

I have looked in the past but has anyone seen a longer length restraint with lead clips on both ends? Or have any better ideas?

TIA smile.gif

like this? http://leerburg.com/1268.htm

A bit more info:

NSW: Drivers caught with unrestrained dogs risk fines of more than $400, with 170 people charged over the offence since the pet-related road rule was introduced in NSW in July 2012. The legislation, which stipulates that motorists must not drive a vehicle with an animal on their lap or preventing them from having proper control of the car, carries a penalty of three demerit points and $338, rising to $422 in a school zone. If an animal is injured as a result of being unrestrained, owners also face up to six months' jail and fines of up to $5500 under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act. The RSPCA managing inspector, Matthew French, said that even the Australian tradition of conveying dogs untethered on the back of utes could land drivers with on-the-spot fines of $500 under the Act. (from a Sydney Morning Herald article)

WA: In WA, recent changes to road rules have made it an offence to drive with an animal in your lap. The penalty is a $100 fine and the loss of one demerit point. (from RAC WA website)

Although Danois is correct in saying that it appears there's no law applying to restraining a dog in the BACK of a vehicle, there are just recommendations that the dog be behind a cargo barrier or in a crate or strapped into a harness. I guess it depends on the police officer who pulls you over, and whether he/she considers that an unrestrained dog loose inside the car is preventing you from "having proper control of the car".

I would not a) cite a vet website as a reliable source of interpretation of a law and b) cite the SMH article as it actually also incorrect.

The RTA has confirmed in writing that there is no law and it only recommends people restrain for safety reasons.

It hasn't only come from a vet's website - I've also come across similar information on some insurance websites, motoring websites, the City of Sydney, and the Law Society website.

It would appear at least part of the SMH article IS correct. From the NSW RTA's own website:

"General Driving Offences as of 1 November 2012", Rule 297 (1A) Drive motor vehicle with person or animal in lap* Fine Level 6 - Fine $397 - 3 demerit points.

"School Zone Offences as of 1 November 2012" - Rule 297 (1A) Drive motor vehicle with person or animal in lap (school zone) Fine level 7 - Fine $496 - 4 demerit points.

Under both of the above sections, there is also " Rule 297 (1) Drive without proper control of vehicle" which carries the same fines, so I assume this would be the offence the police could fine you under if they considered an unrestrained dog in the car is preventing you from having proper control whilst driving so it appears this one would come down to interpretation.

These offences are all listed under Rule 297 in the current version of the NSW Road Rules (2008), as per the NSW Government Legislation website.

It's also mentioned in the RTA's Road User's Handbook on page 154 that "a driver must not drive with an animal in the driver's lap"

Edited by spikey

What are powered windows???? My car has this little handle that turns round and round.

They go up and down with the flick of a button, and the ones in the backseat can be locked with a child lock so that kids can't fiddle with them (and so dogs can't open them!).

I hope your girl gets better soon, it must have been horrible for you all.

so sorry that happened! I never ever open windows enough for my dogs to be able to get out of them,I don't think any would try, they refuse to even exit an open door of my car unless its the rear side passenger door and they are expressly invited(they wont exit any other door invited or not) but I am paranoid and don't risk it. my dogs do ride loose in the back of my car though, restraining is simply not an option due to the size of my car and the number of dogs(not enough spots to strap in and not enough room for crates)

The rules in Queensland are unrestrained dog in car $200 fine. Dog on lap of driver $233.

People we train at dog obedience have to be made aware of the rules.

Edited by Cala

When my father was a boy (he's 84, so we're talking a very long time ago) he was travelling in their car with his dog (A pug) sitting on his lap on the lead. The lead was tied to the door handle. (You need to remember that cars didn't even have seatbelts then, let alone harnesses you could clip in for a dog)

The only type of airconditioning they had then was 4/60. Four windows open at 60 miles an hour, so it was very common to drive along with a dog hanging out an open window. His dog managed to jump out the window and hang himself before they could stop the car. Dad dropped the lead straight away, but because it was tied to the door handle, the dog couldn't reach the ground. :(

My father was always absolutely fanatical about restraining our dogs in the car, well away from the windows as we were growing up. He didn't tell me that story until I was quite a bit older as he didn't want to upset me.

I hope your dog continues to recover well. You're very lucky it wasn't so much worse.

The rules in Queensland are unrestrained dog in car $200 fine. Dog on lap of driver $233.

And before you tell that to people you teach obedience to, you might want to get legal advice about whether you are telling them the right thing!

And before you tell that to people you teach obedience to, you might want to get legal advice about whether you are telling them the right thing!

I don't think that is correct for Qld actually. I think it is only a legal requirement to secure dogs in the back of utes.

Agree Mysticview. Do we really need the government to tell us that it is a bad idea to have a 10kg+ loose object in a car going at 60 - 100km/hr? In an accident, not only can they die, but people can die as a result of them being flung onto a headrest or through a windscreen into an oncoming car. Not a nice image, I know, but reality.

Please. If you wish to argue law in the different states. Please make a separate thread.

I would not like this thread to turn into a slinging match of who is right and wrong.

LOL, where's the fun in that? I'm joking of course. Dogs unrestrained in vehicle = potential trouble. I am guilty, too.

Agree Mysticview. Do we really need the government to tell us that it is a bad idea to have a 10kg+ loose object in a car going at 60 - 100km/hr? In an accident, not only can they die, but people can die as a result of them being flung onto a headrest or through a windscreen into an oncoming car. Not a nice image, I know, but reality.

Unfortunately, we are becoming more and more legalistic because people don't think and thoughtlessness can cause us all a lot a damage, financially and emotionally, in terms of the costs brought to bear by all sorts of accidents. When "things go wrong" people scream that the government "should do something" ...... and then of course scream again when the government puts up taxes to pay for more and more of what society as a whole won't take care of.

Mystiqview I thought of something else today, we used a gym ball quite a lot in Issy's post op work - I know it is a way off for Faith but just thought if you spot one in the meantime for a good price you could grab it. It helped a lot with some of her flexibility exercises and stretches. We also bought a wrist sling - the kind with just one strap and a loop at either end - it was much better than a towel for supporting her in the first days of free walking and way softer (and cheaper) than a harness - more control and if you looped it over your wrists you weren't worried about the towel slipping out of your grip and bumping her. I still have it if you can't find one and want to borrow it. Hope she is going ok and is comfortable.

She is doing much better thanks Coogie. Thankyou for all that information. I have it filed away for when that time comes.

She finished the tremodol the other day and she is heading back to the vets tonight for a check up.

Her crying has eased somewhat until she is left alone, then she howls theneighbourhood down. My partner is taking her to work with him and putting her crate where he can still keep an eye on her and take her for toilet walks as needed.

I have a sling from my grooming days which I can use. Although she is using that leg for a few steps here and there which is promising. I certainly do not expect her to walk marathons just at this moment. LOL.

I showed Dylan your earlier post and that has given him hope for a semi normal life for her. I had to hide the other posts tho as he does not like the dog world at the best of times. And the to and froing of who is right re legislation would have only depressed him more.

Thank you again for your support and I will keep you posted on her progress. You never know, maybe get together for an "invalid" run on the near future. LOL

Mystiqview also if you look at the Top Dog rehabilitation website they have very informative guides on the exercises you can do. Obviously you want to have it cleared by a vet or rehab person but at least it provides some additional reading material and they are more then happy to answer questions on their FB page.