Russian Vrs Irish Wolfhound :)

keasarge

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can t do a one vs the other analysis as I have only owned Borzoi. I have friends with Irish and they are gorgeous but I have not lived with one.

Borzoi on the other hand I have had for many years. Beautiful , affectionate, gentle, humorous, sensitive, full of the joy of living. Very clean habits, no drooling, graceful and well behaved in the house. Not a dog to hang on your every command, quite independent, but very highly bonded to their people. Silly puppies, self possessed and dignified adults., except with their family when they can be complete clowns.

Edited by Diva

They are sighthounds, if you want instant compliance every time they are probably not the group you want to be looking at. I have no problem with day to day obedience, they have manners. But they aren't waiting on you every minute to tell them what to do, their attitude is more of a partner than a servant.

Edited by Diva

Not sure if either breed is going to have the attitude you want but it is hard to get the nuance right online. They don't have a working dog style temperament. I have also owned a working breed, but I never want to be without a Borzoi. They are quite special.

Edited by Diva

Alyosha on here has Borzoi and young children, while DoLer Kinsella has a long experience with Irish. It might be worth you private messaging them for more perspectives.

Edited by Diva

No I don't want a servant but I want a dog that when I give it a job it does it without me having to stand over it. But at the same time if I do a recall I expect it to leave what its doing and come

I have owned a sighthound ..and the way you've written this doesn't sound as if it would have suited my boy .....

Have you read these ? there is some mention of how they do with obedience and following commands, etc ...

LINK borzoi

LINK wolfhound

Not a website I'd not take much notice of, Purdie, not when it says a wheaten has a medium coat and only requires moderate grooming! Tolerant of other animals, kerry: yes, wheaten: no. Me: headdesk.

Erm.. yesss :p

I had a look at the information for greyhounds and it was not very accurate. I think a better way to compare is just to actually research each breed and compare your findings.

There are differences between the two so whichever one suits your lifestyle more (and that you can enjoy the company of), is probably your best bet.

Having said that.. as Pers pointed out, if you want a dog that does what you want (as opposed to what it feels like doing) a sighthound might not be a good choice for type. I adore sighthounds but when you own them, you have to accept that they're a bit like cats in some regards.

1362306886[/url]' post='6139840']

Not a website I'd not take much notice of, Purdie, not when it says a wheaten has a medium coat and only requires moderate grooming! Tolerant of other animals, kerry: yes, wheaten: no. Me: headdesk.

If you want to improve the site for your breed, they seem to be open to improvements. See:http://www.comparecanines.com/home/discuss

Always had a soft spot for the irish, such mild mannered dogs that i have met.

borzoi are glamourous but one did nearly dislocate my shoulder while out walking him and he decided to leap into the air! They are to flighty for me, i like dogs who do as they are told - hence having the more working temp type dogs

Thanks guys I think I will stick with the Irish for the moment they seem to be more forgiving first time sight hound owner

I will keep the Borzoi on the short list for future dogs for the moment though

My chosen breeder has a litter planned for June so I'm hoping this time there is a sutible pup for me :)

When someone says they're getting a puppy, DOL expects lots of pictures. :D