Dogs Seized From No Kill Shelter

The sad thing about all of this that is going on

it may open eyes for some people as to what goes on in RSPCA and now with private shelters

is in the last week I have had 2 people say they would rather look for a dogs from Gumtree or Tradeing Post than any rescue place :(

Sad they cant all work together for the animals

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Genuine question;

Are there any other shelters and/or rescue associations in the Riverland?

If Moorook is shut down what will happen to the dogs that end up in the local council pounds? As far as I'm aware it's 3 days in the Renmark pound before they are either euthed or sent to Moorook.. Do the local pounds work with the Mildura rescue groups at all?

There are groups who work with Mildura. There are things worse than death for dogs, such as being a permanent Moorook resident. For all their bleating about how much they care about the dogs there is a lot of neglect, not to mention cruelty. it is better to have no shelter than that place and I don't say that lightly. I was also wondering how much cleaning had to be done since they already had all those volunteers and a lot of time. So much for the we only have a few little things to be compliant speech I got. Have to echo snook, if it takes extra people to get ready for a late afternoon appointment imagine the state those dogs and cats were living in when there was one old woman and over a hundred to feed, water and clean. They can't hide the truth, too many people know and their own posts show it.

There are groups who work with Mildura. There are things worse than death for dogs, such as being a permanent Moorook resident. For all their bleating about how much they care about the dogs there is a lot of neglect, not to mention cruelty. it is better to have no shelter than that place and I don't say that lightly. I was also wondering how much cleaning had to be done since they already had all those volunteers and a lot of time. So much for the we only have a few little things to be compliant speech I got. Have to echo snook, if it takes extra people to get ready for a late afternoon appointment imagine the state those dogs and cats were living in when there was one old woman and over a hundred to feed, water and clean. They can't hide the truth, too many people know and their own posts show it.

I agree with you Jo.. My concern is how the council would deal with the extra dogs with no-where else to dump them. They are already reluctant enough to come out and collect dogs as it is.

Edited by RidgieMal

I know there are issues with council, my desexed male shih tzu escaped my house sitters and we listed on a female Pekinese, it's not great there. But if they end up there and get the green dream it is better than possibly years of suffering or being rehomed if aggressive. They just don't care about the community either.

I always imagine cruelty to be deliberate. Is that what you're suggesting?

I know there are issues with council, my desexed male shih tzu escaped my house sitters and we listed on a female Pekinese, it's not great there. But if they end up there and get the green dream it is better than possibly years of suffering or being rehomed if aggressive. They just don't care about the community either.

Thing is that it's usually in the form of a bullet frown.gif

I'm quite over the local council.

We had a small cross-bred entire female on heat running the street last month, trying to dig under fences (including the yards of two entire male amstaffs, one is dog aggro) and generally causing a nuisance. Councils response? 'Call the dog catcher'. Well more than half a dozen calls to the dog catcher over the week from different neighbours, messages left - no answer and no call back.

In the past I have been told to either leave dogs tied up (on a public oval) or let them go (in the street) as no-one was available to come and get them.

I am seriously wondering what will happen to unwanted/stray dogs when there is no-where left for idiots to dump them and council can't be bothered. The problem here is much bigger than Moorook.

ETA, if the local councils were to collect dogs promptly, house them appropriately for the required period (preferably longer than 3 days) and euth them humanely if not collected or able to be re-homed then I wouldn't have an issue.

Edited by RidgieMal

"Woolies just called Lola, they have revived a letter saying they can no longer look after Moorook with feed, how many more ways can they hit her"

Woolies won't give you scraps unless you have public liability insurance, so that could be the reason they have stopped. I got the Coles scraps for the wildlife park and there was never any meat, only bread and fruit and veg. I think woolies is the same.

ETA, unless it was dog food donations, in which case it should be obvious to them why they can't donate that right now.

Edited by Reverend Jo

"Woolies just called Lola, they have revived a letter saying they can no longer look after Moorook with feed, how many more ways can they hit her"

Woolies won't give you scraps unless you have public liability insurance, so that could be the reason they have stopped. I got the Coles scraps for the wildlife park and there was never any meat, only bread and fruit and veg. I think woolies is the same.

ETA, unless it was dog food donations, in which case it should be obvious to them why they can't donate that right now.

If they arent a registered charity then woolies cant claim it on their tax.

The crazies are now starting to post all over the Woolworths page that they are boycotting them even though I don't think anyone actually knows the reason for their support being pulled from Moorook. If I was a business I'd pull support from them simply because of the way Moorook, Mark and supporters conduct themselves online as I wouldn't want to be linked with that, let alone the lack of a fundraising licence and it being illegal to donate to them.

Wonder how many of them were actually woolies shoppers in the first place, and apart from a day or two of noise will carry through with their boycott :laugh:

and now it hitting other rescue's in SA

ADMIN: I am very sorry to have to make this post, but due to the ongoing politics here in SA at the moment, I have no choice.

Effective immediately, ECSA is not able to take on anymore Cockers until further notice.

I am applying for a Section 6 licence, but in order to obtain one of those there is also a lot of other paperwork that needs to be completed and it will take some time.

I'm trying to plan a wedding, establish a small business, run a household, a young family and ECSA all on my own and it's just too much. All the politics over here at the moment between the "big two" and the small rescues is doing my head in.

To be clear, this post is relating to donations and funding etc. It only takes one scummy person to report a rescue for any petty thing relating to either of these and I just can't take that risk or put my family in jeopardy.

I'm heartbroken over this, and in tears as I put this up. I've been putting it off but can't do so any longer.

Hopefully we'll be all "official" soon and able to resume taking Cockers in. COCKERS CURRENTLY IN OUR CARE ARE UNAFFECTED BY THIS AND ALL ARRANGEMENT RE VET CARE ETC. ARE UNCHANGED.

I'm so sorry, whoever reported Moorook has started all of this and has a lot to answer for :(

The simple fact is that all over the country people have been operating rescue without doing what is required legally to operate as they do.You cant blame someone who reported Moorook .They didn't make the laws and in all honesty there has been lots of very dodgy stuff going on and it had to happen. You cant just break the law and not be accountable for public donations and then moan when you work out you shouldn't have been doing it. You cant hoard animals under the banner of no kill and expect that people will just ignore the suffering or filth.

By the way anyone who is involved in rescue who doesn't have insurance which covers all of their foster carers and volunteers they need to go quickly now and sort that out too. Without that you can loose your house and live through a mass of stress which is cheaply and easily avoided.