Dogs Seized From No Kill Shelter

Tara, you can't ignore serious issues with one group to protect others who aren't following the law. The very first thing people should do if they want to take other people's money is do their homework. Nothing in life is free and I can't see why people think it's ok for some rescue to break the law. if everyone had done their paperwork when they should have they wouldn't be in this position now. Rescue isn't above the law!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit too close to tge truth saying 'We had to remove our donation bin from the front of Woolies because we are not a charity & can't solicit donations', perhaps.

(If say, someone asked where the bin went.)

Steve and Snook

Ok so let me try and understand this a bit better

From some I have read some say the Section 6 has changed and needs to update for it ?

so those who have had it need it updated under new laws

( this is all confuisng reading different views )

so If here we donate money towards a animal in need , does this also need a lincence to receive the funds ?

or we can give a "gift"

I knew you needed licence for fundraising but donations seems also to be a issue that seems confusing

The thing is though Tara and Sam, all SA rescues who engage in fundraising are required to have a Section 6 Licence. It's nothing new and it's something all rescues should be taking responsibility for obtaining, regardless of the Moorook situation. I'm sure the paperwork isn't much fun but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that organisations who ask the public for money are legally allowed to and that they keep accurate records of donations.

It only affects them if they take donations from my understanding.

What about all the donations given to help with vet treatment etc over the years on DOL ? Does this mean that has all been illegal? Are rescuers on here no longer able to accept funds to help rescued dogs they have fostered? How many times have bank details been given out on here? It would be a great shame if this wasn't allowed to continue!So many dogs have been given a new lease on life thanks to generous Dolers.

It's in their best interest to find out what is required in their state. It protects the rescue as well as the people donating. There is no reason not to be compliant. I do wonder why people avoid having their finances documented in some cases.

Because regulation restricts compassion don't ya know. :cool:

Apparently those who care more than the rest of we mere mortals shouldn't have their saintly work inhibited by regulations about anything.

This is not confined to the "angels" of dog rescue. Apparently some people really do believe that the end justifies any means.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

The thing is though Tara and Sam, all SA rescues who engage in fundraising are required to have a Section 6 Licence. It's nothing new and it's something all rescues should be taking responsibility for obtaining, regardless of the Moorook situation. I'm sure the paperwork isn't much fun but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that organisations who ask the public for money are legally allowed to and that they keep accurate records of donations.

That was my understanding also of what have been reading

from what have seen you cant ask for a donation but can accept a gift ?

What about all the donations given to help with vet treatment etc over the years on DOL ? Does this mean that has all been illegal? Are rescuers on here no longer able to accept funds to help rescued dogs they have fostered? How many times have bank details been given out on here? It would be a great shame if this wasn't allowed to continue!So many dogs have been given a new lease on life thanks to generous Dolers.

that also came to me when started hearing what happening elsewhere

That was my understanding also of what have been reading

from what have seen you cant ask for a donation but can accept a gift ?

that also came to me when started hearing what happening elsewhere

People who are confused could probably look it up?

http://www.olgc.sa.gov.au/lottery/forms/Collection_for_charitable_purposes_FactSheet.pdf

They really do need some legal advice - any one can make or accept donations.You don't have to be registered or incorporated. Its all about how you go about things and whether its classified as fundraising. Usually fundraising is stuff like running raffles etc and you do need a licence to do those type of things in some states in others you only need it over a certain amount. If you want to take donations which people will claim as a tax deduction you need to be registered as a charity but if you want to say we need help and people offer donations then there isnt anything illegal in that as long as you use the money as you have represented that you will do.

As long as people who donate trust the person they are donating to, to use the money on what they state the money is needed for and no one complains that it hasnt been its all good but if someone starts moaning that they took money and used it for something other than what the donor believed it would go to then any action will be against the individuals who accepted the money unless they are incorporated and then the entity is in the poo.

So in all honesty I think Moorook could ask for donations to help them without having to be incorporated or registered but Im no accountant or lawyer .

They don't usually sit on a story so they might have actually done some research and found there is another ugly side. I'd say the rabid mob with their pitchforks might also have worried them. Mark now claims they covered because Lola has an ABN and her business name registered so they don't need a license. He is asking for a fine.

They really do need some legal advice - any one can make or accept donations.You don't have to be registered or incorporated. Its all about how you go about things and whether its classified as fundraising. Usually fundraising is stuff like running raffles etc and you do need a licence to do those type of things in some states in others you only need it over a certain amount. If you want to take donations which people will claim as a tax deduction you need to be registered as a charity but if you want to say we need help and people offer donations then there isnt anything illegal in that as long as you use the money as you have represented that you will do.

As long as people who donate trust the person they are donating to, to use the money on what they state the money is needed for and no one complains that it hasnt been its all good but if someone starts moaning that they took money and used it for something other than what the donor believed it would go to then any action will be against the individuals who accepted the money unless they are incorporated and then the entity is in the poo.

So in all honesty I think Moorook could ask for donations to help them without having to be incorporated or registered but Im no accountant or lawyer .

the fact sheet I found says:

When is a Collections for Charitable Purposes

licence required?

Any organisation that intends to fundraise for a “charitable

purpose” as defined in the Act must be the holder of a

Collections for Charitable Purposes Licence (CCP Licence).

There are a number of licences issued pursuant to the Act:

Section 6 Licence

Any person acting as a collector that wishes to:

collect or attempt to collect any money or property; or

obtain or attempt to obtain money by the sale of any disc,

badge, token, flower, ribbon or other device; or

obtain or attempt to obtain a bequest, devise or other grant of

money or property for a charitable purpose

must be the holder of a Section 6 licence.

There is also a section on collection boxes. But nothing mentions unsolicited donations

And "charitible purpose" is defined, and animal welfare falls into the category.

The entire code of practice probably covers donations: http://www.olgc.sa.gov.au/Lottery/Collections_for_Charitable_Purposes/Charities_CodeofPractice_2013.pdf

Edited by minimax

Someone sent me this from his page. There have been lots and lots of suggestions from supporters ever since the they were told about the fundraising complaint that was made, for them to slip money to Lola on the sly and pretend it's a birthday present etc.. and from what I've been told, this is still going on on Mark's page. Here's a nice example of Mark continuing to have no regard for the law by asking everyone to do just this on Sunday:

8737046433_e90f5dfd25_o.png

I also understand that a few supporters have been asking on his page for clarification about the Woolworths situation, given Woolworths response, but these questions have so far been completely ignored.

He's such a moron. He does know facebook is public ... right?

Moorook needs a section 6 for donations and section 7 for entertainment and he needs a section 6A as he is an agent collecting for them. He's being deceptive by giving the wrong office. He is a fool if he thinks that will keep him out of trouble. The people who originally reported them will probably be gathering lots of evidence that he is ignoring the law.