Dogs Seized From No Kill Shelter

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found nothing under the law in any state that says a third party can't pay towards a vet bill... which is why I will happily make a contribution directly to a vet clinic for an animal's care, but not directly to a bank account for them to allocate to whatever they wish. That way I know exactly where my contribution is going, and the vet clinic is also happy to send a receipt (not usable as a tax deduction though).

T.

There's a big difference between someone who says "Id like to help and here is a dollar to put toward Molly's vet bills or her food etc " and someone who actively solicits donations without accountability. Its not against the law to say here's a buck to help you out with X as long as you use the money for x. its not against the law for someone to accept it . You can be a non profit without having to be registered as a charity too and just because you might fit the criteria as a charity you don't have to be registered as one - but that restricts you in how you can fund raise. You dont have to have an ABN and you dont have to be incorporated - they need independent professional advice but considering how long they have been operating that should have been done long ago. Who has been keeping the books and being accountable for money coming in paying taxes etc ?

The whole thing from go has been way lacking in professionalism. That puts the animals and the people at risk. Rescue's no matter what size no matter whether they want to be incorporated or accept donations etc need to have a business plan ,they need policies and procedures to ensure animals don't get left down the back for years, to ensure they don't have more animals than they have approval for to ensure they have routines and methods of making sure someone is looking after the cleaning and maintenance etc .

Just because you didn't intend for a human to take the profits doesn't mean the place shouldn't make a profit and that it shouldn't be run in a business like fashion. Whether they have broken the law because they accepted or solicited donations is only one issue they needed to have under control. one of the big deals of no kill is how they will ensure it doesn't turn into hoarding.

You shouldn't have to call in extra people to clean the place up ready for an inspection - it should be able to be inspected at any time and be clean and the animals being well treated and healthy.

When strong legislation for rescue is rolled in across the country it wont be the RSPCA at fault it will be those who havent set up in a business like fashion. Even if you only rescue one dog a year you need a business plan.

Noticed this on Marks page

Mark Aldridge

15 hours ago near Adelaide, South Australia

The final Council inspection was held today, of the 20 odd orders we have passed 95%, with flying colours, the issues left dont make a lot of sense to most of us, the sections we have not complied relate to a pallet of rubbish and a messy rear shed that has not been used for years, in any event we will get this sorted, working bee will be on the 26th, light work only and some making areas pretty including the new playground area and the new office, final planning applications will now be under way and cover the state of the Art quarantine area....nearly there

Yes, state of the art quarantine area #rollyeyeman Wonder what happened to the $16,000 infirmary they claimed to have built? They shouldn't bother with too much though, good chance the rspca will shut them down. Wonder if they'll sell those expensive electric gates and give the money back to the people that donated it :mad It's like a compound now, wouldn't expect anything less from someone who is a mm away from being a conspiracy nut.

But that really is the main issue here. Dogs shouldn't suffer regardless of where they come from or what someone is keeping them for .

If in fact it is in a dogs best interests to live as they make breeders dogs live then why should it be any different for any dog even though its not breeding? If - with breeders - they are complaining about the conditions and the welfare issues and that's why they get so hot under the collar at the suggestion someone might breed dog and gets busted for throwing a bone or not picking up a poop quickly enough then surely the same standards for welfare should be applied to any one who has a bunch of dogs. However , it would appear that they want rescue to have no accountability and that its O.K. for their dogs to be kept in poor conditions. Makes no sense if you are considering and focusing on what is best for the dogs. Unless they really do see that no matter what a dog has to suffer in life that its preferable to being PTS.

Always interesting when groups like this that scream how they are all about the welfare of the animals and what is best for them, consider letting them suffer like this is better than being PTS through compassion. I used to say that the best gift when we are an animal owner is being able to do for our pets what we can;t do for people we care about, ie end their suffering and torment, however it would seem that to people like this, that choice should be taken away from us as well, and we will no longer be able to end even our pets own suffering but need to see them go on until last gasp.

Think the comments about how if she closes, that the Riverland will be swimming in dogs are largely typical hysterical overreaction - if that were the case, then surely she should have been singlehandedly rehoming thousands of animals, not the small figures claimed. Certainly appears that the animals were certainly just being stockpiled there and warehoused, and only the raid succeeded in finally getting some of these dogs out of there into homes, not because she is doing such a great job of finding new homes all the time. Can;t see anything on the Moorook page - has it been blocked to anyone not a friend, or have they just blocked me - can;t see any posts from them on either of my facebook accounts on their page

I think the Moorook page is still down. A lot of them do think it doesn't matter if the dogs live in tiny cages in their own filth as long as they are still alive. They excuse to the poo being left there as Lola not having time to keep up with it. We all know how a breeder would be treated by the very same people if the situation was reversed. They don't have real compassion for the animals.

I think the Moorook page is still down. A lot of them do think it doesn't matter if the dogs live in tiny cages in their own filth as long as they are still alive. They excuse to the poo being left there as Lola not having time to keep up with it. We all know how a breeder would be treated by the very same people if the situation was reversed. They don't have real compassion for the animals.

We saw it when those AR nuts went and took the night footage of the Collie breeder's dogs in their night quarters and made it out like that is where they live 24x7, not to mention that lady tossed her dogs raw chicken! *cue horror movie soundtrack* :eek:

Yet Moorook is so much worse but because the rescue word is used it's all ok. Really drives me nuts that this failure in logic is so widespread among the OL crowd. They are so stupid they can't even understand that if they had their way they would have no more pet dogs. Of course reality is they'll only have puppy farm dogs and a few oops litters to choose from.

Yet Moorook is so much worse but because the rescue word is used it's all ok. Really drives me nuts that this failure in logic is so widespread among the OL crowd. They are so stupid they can't even understand that if they had their way they would have no more pet dogs. Of course reality is they'll only have puppy farm dogs and a few oops litters to choose from.

I honestly think the general public are pretty much dumb as dog shit and will jump on any band wagon that is being hailed loudly enough. The broad masses are pretty easy to manipulate, especially using the media (including social media) and once the ball gets rolling you might as well save your logical arguments and get the hell out of the way because by that stage they aren't going to listen to anyone, least of all reason. Sorry to put it so bluntly but one only has to look at all the support and donations the RSPCA usually get (ironic, seeing as in this case the RSPCA is the enemy) and nobody questions anything they do until they get the knock on their own door....

Alas, you just can't fix stupid (or mass emotion, whatever the case may be)

Am just a member of the public [typical pet owner] and yes was angry when I first heard about Moorook. But, I sought out other's opinion, mainly by coming here and reading. I don't take everything at face value and do question. Then again not everyone does this.