Electric Fencing

Not dog related, but thought there would be more experience of electric fencing in this forum.

Across the street, down a few houses live people with a young cat who has been allowed to wander ever since he was a new kitten. My elderly cat lives mostly outside, through choice, and Tippy (the neighbour's cat) has been a regular visitor all his life and because my cat likes his company, I have never discouraged this.

The problem is that Tippy eats all my cat's food. My cat is old and loses condition very easily. She is not a picky eater, but doesn't eat much at one sitting. I think a lot (maybe most ??) cats are like this. I have tried all sorts of strategies, feeding her small meals several times a day and I have tried keeping her in my bedroom (she has a cat flap so she can come and go) to ensure that she eats enough, but I have even found Tippy in the bedroom.

I was thinking about putting an electric fencing system along the front of my house (I have just a small brick fence) and I think a few shocks would have Tippy well and truly educated to stay away.

Are they legal in Sydney and do you think an electric fence would work in a case such as this?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help you with the electric fence but suspect sheena might be right.

I would suggest a cat flap that will only open for your cat and keep the food inside. Your cat will need to wear a special collar that will allow the cat flap to open for her. I'm not sure of brands but I know they're out there. As to feeding, it's different with an old cat that is used to it but I have 3 cats and cannot leave food out as 2 are absolute pigs (have to lock them out when the dogs are eating!) They are fed breakfast, dinner and supper. All fed in separate rooms so they can eat in peace and quiet and they polish it off in no time. Even my fussy Lilly who came to me as a "free feeder" and would eat no more than 3 pieces of dry food at a time.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

You'd best look up POCTA and make yourself familiar with elctric fencing and domestic animals.

If the cat is causing problems, get a cat trap from council and drop it to them once you have caught it.If it's in your house, then no trap required take it to the pound.

Edited by WreckitWhippet

You'd best look up POCTA and make yourself familiar with elctric fencing and domestic animals.

If the cat is causing problems, get a cat trap from council and drop it to them once you have caught it. If it's in your house, then no trap required take it to the pound.

Yeah right! What a way to keep neighbourly relationships on an even keel. The woman just about went apeshit when I suggested Tippy might be the cause of several large throw-ups I found near my garage. (I knew the cat wasn't Gussy by the sort of "ingredients" in them :( . )

I will talk to the Council tomorrow about rules and regulations.

Edited by Danny's Darling

We had cats and electric fences growing up and they had no difficulty avoid contact whilst crossing them. The secure door TSD suggested sounds like a good idea if you can't get the neighbours to contain their cat somehow.

Sorry but no cat should be left to wander at will as it can cause so much damage to the wildlife.

Your cat should be confined to your property either in the house and / or a cat pen and so should the other cat to its own property.

It doesn't matter what the cat wants. Some councils are fining owners that do not confine their cats. :)

If the cat is causing problems, get a cat trap from council and drop it to them once you have caught it. If it's in your house, then no trap required take it to the pound.

Yeah right! What a way to keep neighbourly relationships on an even keel. The woman just about went apeshit when I suggested Tippy might be the cause of several large throw-ups I found near my garage. (I knew the cat wasn't Gussy by the sort of "ingredients" in them :( . )

I will talk to the Council tomorrow about rules and regulations.

No problems here with the neighbours, we trapped all the cats and dropped them off at the pound, our neighbourhood no longer has a roaming cat problem.

Owners need to keep their cats inside or confined to their poperty.

Can't help you with the electric fence but suspect sheena might be right.

I would suggest a cat flap that will only open for your cat and keep the food inside. Your cat will need to wear a special collar that will allow the cat flap to open for her. I'm not sure of brands but I know they're out there. As to feeding, it's different with an old cat that is used to it but I have 3 cats and cannot leave food out as 2 are absolute pigs (have to lock them out when the dogs are eating!) They are fed breakfast, dinner and supper. All fed in separate rooms so they can eat in peace and quiet and they polish it off in no time. Even my fussy Lilly who came to me as a "free feeder" and would eat no more than 3 pieces of dry food at a time.

This...

T.

We had cats and electric fences growing up and they had no difficulty avoid contact whilst crossing them. The secure door TSD suggested sounds like a good idea if you can't get the neighbours to contain their cat somehow.

Electric fencing wouldn't work with a cat, cats can jump up onto a fence etc and avoid the elect fence.

Thank you - this was the sort of input I was looking for :)

Big upset over using electric fences for cats on the cat forum recently.

I think its cruel but another point to consider is that these 2 cats are friends so if you force the friendship apart your old cat may fret for her friend & not eat anyway.

She will miss her & get depressed.

You have always let your cat out too so confining her now at her age may also depress & suppress her appetite.

If you decide to keep her totally indoors now I suggest you block access to the other cat coming in but bring it in for a couple of short visits a couple of times a day when you have removed food.

The cat flaps where the cat has to wear a collar aren't the best for small animals as the collar is quite heavy & cumbersome & if she is not used to it & again it may put her off her food. It would be unfair & unethical to trap the cat( & you don't want to anyway really ) its not a stray, or complain to council as you have allowed this & let your own cat out. Electricuting it isn't impressive either.

Edited by Christina

My replies in Bold Italics (hopefully - LOL)

Big upset over using electric fences for cats on the cat forum recently.

Do you mean the DOL CatChat or another forum altogether?

I think its cruel but another point to consider is that these 2 cats are friends so if you force the friendship apart your old cat may fret for her friend & not eat anyway.

She will miss her & get depressed. You have always let your cat out too so confining her now at her age may also depress & suppress her appetite.

Yes, I have considered both these points and there is no way I could totally confine Gussy at her age. It was bad enough (for her) keeping her confined for the few weeks when we first moved here.

If you decide to keep her totally indoors now I suggest you block access to the other cat coming in but bring it in for a couple of short visits a couple of times a day when you have removed food.

This wouldn't be possible. Apart from the fact that I wouldn't bring him in, as he was allowed the run of the neighbourhood from the time he was a kitten, Tippy is almost feral in terms of getting close to him.

The cat flaps where the cat has to wear a collar aren't the best for small animals as the collar is quite heavy & cumbersome & if she is not used to it & again it may put her off her food.

Yes, I agree.

It would be unfair & unethical to trap the cat( & you don't want to anyway really ) its not a stray, or complain to council as you have allowed this & let your own cat out.

You might have gathered from my earlier response to Wreckit, that this is not and never was and never will be an option. :)

Electricuting it isn't impressive either.

Bit emotive, but then again, I have posted here to get people's thoughts but more so experiences. I wasn't planning on electrocuting Tippy, and, had I gone down this path if it was legal, I would have gone into great depth the amount of "charge" necessary to be deterent.

Thank you for your input, informative and helpful. :)

Electric fences don't electocute things they give them a zap which if they are smart, they will never forget. We live on a farm so have electric fences all around us & they are very useful tools for stopping animals either getting in or getting out. We have been zapped several times & have lived to tell the tale. :laugh: We trapped all the stray moggies around here & havn't had any trouble for years. I am glad I don't live in the suburbs & have to put up with everyone's cat pissing & pooping in my yard. By nature cats prefer not to do their business in their own yard if there is an alternative. Maybe you could put something along on top of your brick fence that will deter him....like rose branches with thorns..or something really sticky. eg. sticky fly paper.

Edited by sheena

I get so depressed by the number of people on this forum who are so unfeeling in their dealing with cats. It is irresponsible owners who create the problem, not the cat. While the situation with feral/stray cats differs, recommending a likely death sentence (at the pound) as the first and only solution to a wandering cat, especially one where the home is known, lacks compassion. No, cats shouldn't be allowed to wander, and I understand it is frustrating for some people when they do, but the only real solution will be slow cultural change. Personally I prefer tolerance.