Dog Meat Rolls

I often feed them when I've picked up dog food from the supermarket, mine love the 4 legs one. I was told by a vet surgeon not to feed them too much because they are full of fat which does match up with what I know about the human versions of meat-in-a-roll (luncheon etc), ideally you wouldn't use them as an all the time food.

The ingredients and the quality vary from brand to brand there are some excellent choices and also some low fat options for those dogs that need to be on low fat. The VAN rolls for example are excellent:)

Not all rolls are created equal.

If I could buy VAN rolls in my area I would buy it in a heart beat over another variety of dog roll to use as training bait.

I tried the VAN rolls for training bait but found them too crumbly.

I did however use them for the puppies as a bit of added variety.

I use Scottys as well, although only for training treats. They hold together well when cut into little pieces, frozen and thawed, and the dogs seem to like it. It seems pretty benign to me for a dog food roll.

Awesome thanks! City Farmers down the road has it :D

I don't think that the VAN rolls are available in WA as yet.

Yes I just did a search and it is, I'm just not sure your location as WA is a big place but there are a few stocklists:

http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=59

Hi, Whipitgood, which City Farmers did you find it at? I'm heading down to Perth next weekend and would love to pick some up.

Hi, Petbarn in WA stock VAN rolls, and the prices do vary between the 'normal' rolls (adult, puppy, cat) and the 'functional' rolls (sensitive skin, joint health ect)

A good gauge to test the quality of a roll is to microwave a slice for a few minutes. If it has no expanders or fillers it should just cook, if it melts, or the gelatin leaks out, then you will see just how much of it is filler.

The VAN rolls don't cube up as well as other rolls for training treats, but that's because they're not the consistency of a traditional roll.

Any store (or vet clinic) can order the rolls in and many independent stores are stocking them, along with Petstock and Petbarn.

The VAN rolls have a shorter use by date than what roll buyers would be used to, so they can be frozen to improve storage options. They are pasteurized at a low temperature to protect nutrient availability, which doesn't give us a long shelf life.

I often feed them when I've picked up dog food from the supermarket, mine love the 4 legs one. I was told by a vet surgeon not to feed them too much because they are full of fat which does match up with what I know about the human versions of meat-in-a-roll (luncheon etc), ideally you wouldn't use them as an all the time food.

I had to stop feeding my dogs 4 legs or any product with fat in it when one of them developed pancreatitis. No idea if that contributed, but not a good idea for dogs with those sorts of health issues. She really liked it, though!