Meet Oliver... The New Foster

westiemum

Meet Oliver - so named because he always wants more - attention, cuddles and food! He arrived from Hawkesbury a week ago tonight. First thing he got was a Malaseb bath x 2 - he was filthy!

He's a really cracker little terrier cross (I think). I'd love to keep him but I don't have enough money or arms. So I'll start looking for a home for him in 6-8 weeks time after I've rehabbed his ears, skin and coat. When he arrived his ears smelled so bad I had him sleep in a warm crate on the back verandah. His teeth are good. He's learned to use the doggy door (didn't have to teach him - he just watched the westies), taught him to eat out of a bowl, he's learnt to eat raw meat a little veg, chicken wings and bones, taught him to sit and his lead walking is improving - all in a week! thumbsup1.gif He sleeps through the night in a donut bed or on the floor. He's very food oriented and a very active busy little dog. He's lost his coat in patches on his back legs and rump due to flea allergy - his fleas were treated by his foster mum in Sydney and the coat seems to be growing back really well - I've seen improvements in his coat in the last few days. (Amazing what a decent diet does for him!).

He was desexed last Monday and bounced back that night as if nothing had happened. Vet said he's really 'out of the school of hard knocks'. He also had his ears flushed at the same time (they were very pussey but no perforation), a watery cyst on his neck popped and drained and a biopsy of a polyp in his left ear taken (no results yet but not expected to be nasty). So I think he's doing really well - he's very needy but I expect that will decrease a bit as he gains confidence. I'd like to be able to give potential new parents for him an idea of what he is? I've taken some shots of him from various angles in the hope we might collectively come to some conclusions?

I also want to ask whether anyone thinks he should have a supplement of some sort to help his skin and coat? (Nothing yeasty though which might affect his ears).

Also I know little about regrowing coats after flea allergy? Apart from regular flea control, what else should I do for him if anything?

I have used my evening primrose oil shampoo on him this week. Is there anything else which might be better for him with his flea allergy?

In the photos ignore his messy looking ears - the Otomax is making them look really grotty! But they don't smell as bad and appear to be getting better. Although he's still very sentive, (I think they are very painful) and will nip and yelp sometimes as you put the ointment in.

TIA and here's a couple of photos of the munchkin. Any other suggestions very welcome.

post-11746-0-01376500-1364528965_thumb.jpg post-11746-0-88284600-1364529730_thumb.jpg

Edited by westiemum

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And a couple of body shots - he was really hard to get a photo side on as he continually turns towards me and the camera! Little show-off! Here doing that long body stretch - he does that a lot...

post-11746-0-77248300-1364529965_thumb.jpg

Edited by westiemum

He has very lively eyes! I know we give the pei sardines or mackerel in oil on top of their kibble as it is good for their temperamental skin/coats. I just buy the name brand stuff and all the dogs gobble it up. I would also recommend you continue with the malaseb baths until his skin and coat are better, rather than try other shampoos.

Hi Oliver! He's adorable :)

No idea about breed, I'd just call him a wire haired terrier mix.

Thanks Aussie - yes he is a cutey and I doubt I'll have trouble finding a really good home for him. His coat is odd - really wispy and quite soft towards the front and much more wirey towards his rump. But might be to do with the coat coming back?

He has very lively eyes! I know we give the pei sardines or mackerel in oil on top of their kibble as it is good for their temperamental skin/coats. I just buy the name brand stuff and all the dogs gobble it up. I would also recommend you continue with the malaseb baths until his skin and coat are better, rather than try other shampoos.

Yes thanks Little Gifts - the the eyes get you every time!! He's a gorgeous little guy who I think was very neglected until he wound up in the pound. He's just turned 6 and I think he was just the dog in the backyard somewhere.

Yes the mackeral and sardines are a good idea. I use them with the westies but am out of them at the moment. Will get some tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder. The reason I was querying the Malaseb is that some say it really dries the skin and I was wondering if its OK with flea allergy??? Thoughts?

Edited by westiemum

Could he have some Cairn in him maybe?

How old do they think he is?

Funny you should say that - the night he arrived we popped into my fellow westie rescue friends on the way home and the moment he clapped eyes on him he said 'oh has he got some Cairn in him'? So I'm certainly beginning to think that Cairn is a distinct possibility.

He's just turned 6. He was chipped with an early March birth date.

I have no suggestions beyond what you are doing just want to say what a gorgeous little fellow he is - I am sure life will get better for him from now on under your care. He was probably suffering for a long time with those ears poor fella.

Maybe you could dilute the Malaseb and alternate with a gentler soothing shampoo?

Sardines in oil to perk up dull coat and dry flaky skin.. I wouldn't shampoo him at all while his coat is iffy..

Give him a week or two on the sardines and I bet he comes good.

Zig gets sardines in oil once a week and we are always complimented on how great his coat is. When we first got him he got them every second day over a bit of kibble or with a chicken wing at breakfast. When he was 6 months old he got half the tin but now he is grown he gets a whole tin in one serve.

Cute little guy - I have no idea on breed, I will leave that to the more experienced.

Lovely little boy, Westiemum. Very mixed breed is the best I can do LOL.

Once fleas are treated and a dog starts to get a decent diet and all the good things that come with a loving home, coats and skin start to improve very quickly and not a lot else needs to be done.

Unless there is an infection, you don't need to shampoo too often: diet generally does the trick of rehabilitating skin and coat.

Great rescue - he is terrific. I love your description : a very active busy little dog :laugh: . He sounds a character. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sardines in oil to perk up dull coat and dry flaky skin.. I wouldn't shampoo him at all while his coat is iffy..

Give him a week or two on the sardines and I bet he comes good.

Zig gets sardines in oil once a week and we are always complimented on how great his coat is. When we first got him he got them every second day over a bit of kibble or with a chicken wing at breakfast. When he was 6 months old he got half the tin but now he is grown he gets a whole tin in one serve.

Cute little guy - I have no idea on breed, I will leave that to the more experienced.

Thanks very much Staffyluv, I think I have some sardines in the cupboard so will give him some tonight. Yes Olly had his first chicken wing on Wednesday - while he had absolutely no idea how of go about eating it to start with, he soon cottoned on! Thanks again. smile.gif

He certainly is a little cutie.

I wouldn't use the Malaseb at all, it is far too drying and if you do not need to treat some specific skin complaint with it I would avoid it. Freshen him up with a rinse in warm water with a splash of Alpha Keri or QV oil. I have found the VAN Skin & Coat supplement along with a good omega oil and a great diet (I prefer raw) the best way to get their skin and coat back in order.

Lovely little boy, Westiemum. Very mixed breed is the best I can do LOL.

Once fleas are treated and a dog starts to get a decent diet and all the good things that come with a loving home, coats and skin start to improve very quickly and not a lot else needs to be done.

Unless there is an infection, you don't need to shampoo too often: diet generally does the trick of rehabilitating skin and coat.

Great rescue - he is terrific. I love your description : a very active busy little dog :laugh: . He sounds a character. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

LOL thanks DD. Having said that he's now snoring on the lounge next to me, snuggling up to Sarah! Fast learner this little boy!

Yes he is a ripper of a little dog. I think he has at least two breeds in him - Cairn and Australian Silky I reckon. His face is very similar to Australian Silkies on Google. But he has very little tan colouring - is mainly black and white/cream so there's obviously something else there!!

I can't take credit for all of his rescue though - five other people (that I know of) were also involved across three states - All Westie rescue in Melbourne organised it all, Elaine was his temp carer in Sydney after he was sprung from Hawkesbury Pound and Dorothy of GTE Dog Transport cared for him for a week as he made his way to Adelaide and Alison drove him over from Victoria. So it was quite a team effort. He was really in danger apparently as Hawkesbury was overflowing so I'm told. Then my great friend here who also does westie rescue came with me to collect him from Alison at Murray Bridge, outside Adelaide. He will make someone a cracker of a little dog in a month or twos time.

Edited by westiemum

Well I love a terrier type and especially ones that have had a rough time, it's so rewarding to bring them back to great health!

I usually only bath once in Malaseb at the beginning, if at all as it's quite harsh on a sore skin. I prefer Alloveen which is very gentle and then I'd only bath every 2-3 weeks probably.

If it's just flea allergy, give him the good diet (sardines are great, sweet potato, some flaxseed etc) and give it a couple of months - he'll be in great condition with his hair growing back. It's truly amazing how well they come back.

Great rescue!

Westie, the name is inspired. :)

Thanks Mita!! I think so too even if I do say so myself!! It was a DOL thread on dog names that insired me. I narrowed it down to six or so and kept coming back to Oliver. It really suits him and his 'I want more' character! I also wanted him to have a name that I think most adopters could live with and honoured his resilience - just like orphan Oliver of Dickens fame!! thumbsup1.gif