Food Aggression Towards The Cats

CollieChaos

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the well wishes Persephone, I outlined my wishes,and aims for Orion, and the trainer said that she has some techniques which may help. I will definately keep you guys updated on the results, and how things pan out over the next few months with his issue, and the hopeful eventual resolution of this undesirable (for me) behaviour.

Which just shows you know little about BT's mine is the most chilled placed dog you could meet :laugh:

Not my funeral, you have been given advice, you choose to ignore it, your loss :D

I'm not ignoring it, I am listening to it, but not utilizing it, there is a difference :)

Its nice to hear your Bull Terrier is chilled out, most of the ones I have met have been untrained and not easily handled. The last one I walked with jumped up and bit me on the face (playfully of course) when I bent over to pick up her poop lol

This thread is really irritating and I hope your poor cat doesn't pay for your stubbornness in the future.

As someone who owns dogs and cats all living together - the cat is in the wrong and why you wouldn't separate and prevent the cat from going near the dogs food is just beyond me.

For the record, I love bullies (but wouldnt ever own one)

Hardly a thing to hate a breed for. Please be fair on BTs they are a beautiful breed of dog.

Please read the whole thread before making a comment.

I didnt realise that not wanting my dog to behave aggressively meant I was stubborn, that must be a new trend...

Wow Juice, take a chill pill....youve been spending too much time with your bull terriers.

People are reacting to this comment...

Of juice was acting like a bull terrier she would be snuggled up in a warm spot. It giving a crap about this post

I've read the whole painful thread thanks, and despite several highly experienced dog breedrs and a well respected trainer giving you the same opinion , you still won't take on board to shut the cat away when you feed your dog, it ain't rocket science, it's a simple solution.Bit like if you don't want to burn your hand, don't stick it in the bloody fire. Easy. laugh.gif

As the OP simply will not listen to the best advice from very experienced dog people, I have another suggestion for her - return the dog to the breeder now because you really won't like the dog at all when it harms your cat. When that happens, do you know whose fault that will be? It won't be the dog's or the cat's - there's a clue.

I don't advocate food aggression but as a responsible owner it is MY duty to ensure no one is harmed by it - but this has to be done by separating the dogs during feeding time.

As for Juice's Bull Terrier, she's a wonderful example of the breed and I'm particularly fond of her, as I was of the last BT that Juice owned.

As for rats, birds and blue tongue lizards - sadly my dogs have killed them all. I managed to find the last Bluey before they really hurt him - they are terriers, it's nature. As much as I hate it they are protecting me, just as the dog in this situation is protecting his food. I'm not about to put them to sleep for it or assume that I can train them out of it because it is their instinct.

Edited by dogmad

There are heaps of things I WANT my dogs to do but they won't BECAUSE they are dogs and think like dogs and act like dogs THEY ARE NOT HUMANS.....

You can't get any more "professional advice" than the advice you have been given and the best thing is "it's free" :)

Maree

CPR

I'm really interested to know how the trainer is going to go about fixing this...

Me to!

Atlas my bull terrier was food aggressive, he was fed away from all the other animals, the cats were never allowed to go near him (saying that,i was never silly enough to offer him food with them around). he passed away at almost 9 years of age and never had a situation with any of the cats. Would have loved to have been able to fix him so i didnt need to worry about it!

Funny - I don't think anyone has condoned resource guarding. Rather they have pointed out that suppressing a puppy's ONLY method of communication is not wise.

Changing the emotional response of an animal to having something of value removed is possible provided you ADD something of equal or higher value. I can't see the cat doing that....

Train the cat not to approach the puppy or supervise them. Simple.

I just wanted to say that I think puppy has been pretty good about all this :) He has been patient, and he is communicating; the fact that he snapped and didn't actually bite means he is showing restraint.

I would also like to say that just because he didn't growl before the snap, doesn't mean he went straight to snapping. I'd bet he was showing with his posture and his eyes that he wanted the cat to not come any closer. Sometimes these things are very subtle, and we can miss them, especially if we're not really looking for them or we're a bit distracted.

My dogs are thankfully really good together when it comes to food and we don't have resource guarding issues. However I know this is because they both have rules of conduct. They leave a polite space around each other when they are partaking of a bone etc. If one of them leaves the bone, it is acceptable for the other to take it; they would't attempt to take it from the other one though - I'm sure that the dog approaching would get told off by the othe one for that. I didn't teach them this, they probably learned it from other dogs they grew up with (I got them as adults).

They still get fed their main meals separately as it means they don't feel under any pressure to rush or be on alert during their meal. This is important as a dog that bolts its food or feels stressed during its meal is more likely to bloat.