Have You Ever Felt People Are Thinking...

tikira

Have you ever been told "it's only a dog" or felt non doggy people were thinking that? I have felt this, and penned this poem in reply. I am sure lots of animal lovers will agree with my thoughts. I recognise for many there is a difference, but I wonder how big that difference really is? I am sure it depends on each person and their individual circumstances. I just wish people in the wider community understood the bond we share with our pets.

A Bundle of Unconditional Love

“Don’t be sad, he’s only a dog, you can replace him, get another one”

I wouldn’t think to say that to you, if you had lost a daughter or a son!

Think carefully, is there really any difference between the love we knew?

Except our family member had four legs, and yours have only two.

We were terrified that first day, as we bought our tiny bundle home,

We had dreams, but no idea what the future held, no clue of trials to come,

We agonised over what to call him, just like you did I am sure,

Wondered when to get his shots, those jabs hurt me to the core.

We had “play dates”, sleepovers, and we educated him at school,

We were proud when he graduated; it proved he was no fool.

We sat up with him for hours on end when his temperature was not right,

We had his vet on speed-dial, in case his condition worsened overnight,

We were embarrassed when he misbehaved and thrilled when he acted well,

We gave him treats, and sometimes time-outs when our high standards fell.

We taught him right from wrong, and to participate in the wider world,

Scared when we thought we lost him, relieved to find him in his bed all curled.

We taught him not to back chat, a hard lesson for a dog to learn

But we persevered - and eventually, we saw his behaviour turn.

We played with him until we were exhausted and could take no more,

Then had to put up with sad eyes and tantrums, as “sad sack” hit the floor.

Is there anything you have done for your children that we did not do?

Are there any thoughts or feelings you had that we really never knew?

Just like a child a dog is a special gift, entrusted by the Lord above,

And I wish one day that everyone will know a puppy’s unconditional love.

Di Hoppe 2013

Enjoy

Di

Edited by tikira

When my dog got hit by a car and had to have his leg and it was going to $5000

my friends and family thought I was crazy and that I should have put him down.

Was never an option while he was able to have a quality of life.

Ive thought since that maybe I am a bit crazy.

cheers

I'm a crazy dog lady and very proud of the fact. My friends understand that, to me, my dogs are my family - and that it hurts really bad when they go to the Bridge.

People who don't understand are simply missing out on exactly how wonderful dogs are... and we should feel pity for them.

That is a beautiful poem... thank you so much for sharing it.

T.

What a beautiful poem, thank you for sharing. I know this feeling well.. to me, my dogs are my kids and some people just can't seem to understand that.

"We played with him until we were exhausted and could take no more,

Then had to put up with sad eyes and tantrums, as “sad sack” hit the floor."

Lol, love the 'sad sack' bit. I get sad eyes and head butts when I stop patting my girl to try to do something else and when she realises there's not going to be any more attention for a little while she'll give a big sigh, makes me laugh. I can't imagine life without a dog anymore.

beautiful poem, explains everything. i'm absolutely crazy about my dog, i've heard the whole:

'omg, its just a dog. why can't you just feed her out of a bowl'

'why do you take her everywhere'

'why do you spend so much money on food'

Its worse after having children! If I had $1 for every person who asked me have I got rid of my kids yet or if the kids bite the baby!

Most hilarious are the people who said to me "Wait until you have a REAL child! You'll love him or her so much the dogs will mean nothing!"

They are now most confused and annoyed because they can't work out why I still love the kids so much! And why the kids still live indoors underfoot! Oh the horrors! :laugh:

Thanks everyone.

Snake Catcher- It looks like your boy was worth every cent of the money you spent,how happy is he to be alive.... I would give anything for my boy to be back if I could have.

Bubitty, I can only imagine the comments you get- some people really don't understand, do they?

Cheers all

Di

Its worse after having children! If I had $1 for every person who asked me have I got rid of my kids yet or if the kids bite the baby!

Most hilarious are the people who said to me "Wait until you have a REAL child! You'll love him or her so much the dogs will mean nothing!"

They are now most confused and annoyed because they can't work out why I still love the kids so much! And why the kids still live indoors underfoot! Oh the horrors! :laugh:

I couldn't count how many times I've heard that. Just because you have a baby doesn't mean everything else in your life disappears :laugh:

What lovely sentiments you have expressed in your poem. Although no-one expressed such sentiments to me on the recent passing of my Monte Bear I sometimes felt they may have been thinking that.

People around here can't understand why I would spend $1000+ to buy a dog in the first place ("Why do that when you can have one of so and so's pig dog bitza pup for a carton?").

I had everyone around me telling me I should put Sam down at even the little things (such as needing some lipomas removes, having arthritis, simply being old). They thought we were crazy when we cared for him and spent thousands on his major problems.

So I didn't expect any more from people when he eventually passed.

How people can say those things to people I don't know, but thank dog for DOL.

Edited by LisaCC

My old girl has aged so much in the past few months - I really think I'm not going to have her here by the end of winter. Right now all efforts are to make her comfortable until she tells me it is her time to go to the Bridge. I have had her since I picked her up as a 5 week old free to good home puppy in the Trading Post nearly 14 years ago. When she does go, it will leave a big hole in my heart.

I have been preparing some of my friends and relatives, who love her almost as much as I do, that her time is approaching.

Funnily enough - all of my friends and most of my relatives really do understand what my dogs mean to me, so I don't often get silly "it's only a dog" comments if one goes to the Bridge.

T.

Love that poem, thanks for sharing. Dogs came first in my house, I spend most of my free time with them, not much time for anything left here. I turned the house into a doghome, visitors will notice, my choice. :D

tdierikx, is the beaut large brindle dog in your photos the old dog, you are referring to??

beautifully put!

I always find it slightly sad that I have to continually justify what I feel for my two..it's unconditional love..can't imagine anything much stronger than what I feel when I think of them - but I know most people don't understand...your poem shows you do!

Love that poem, thanks for sharing. Dogs came first in my house, I spend most of my free time with them, not much time for anything left here. I turned the house into a doghome, visitors will notice, my choice. :D

tdierikx, is the beaut large brindle dog in your photos the old dog, you are referring to??

My old girl is the black one... the brindle "horse" is only 7 months old... *grin*

This is my old girl a few months ago... she's aged a lot since the cooler weather has kicked in...

25-11-2012-pool063.jpg

T.

My old girl has aged so much in the past few months - I really think I'm not going to have her here by the end of winter. Right now all efforts are to make her comfortable until she tells me it is her time to go to the Bridge. I have had her since I picked her up as a 5 week old free to good home puppy in the Trading Post nearly 14 years ago. When she does go, it will leave a big hole in my heart.

I have been preparing some of my friends and relatives, who love her almost as much as I do, that her time is approaching.

Funnily enough - all of my friends and most of my relatives really do understand what my dogs mean to me, so I don't often get silly "it's only a dog" comments if one goes to the Bridge.

T.

You are lucky, my friends & kids are always saying I look after my dogs, better than myself & I should be spending more on my food than theirs, because they are just dogs.