Aged Blind Dog

Has anyone experienced taking a dog with special needs on the Spirit? She has travelled in a cage on board before, but now she is blind,(17 yrs old) and I was wondering whether crew would attend her to eg. guide her to her water bowl and her bed. As she is old she seems to need help to find these things. I would have her familiar bed in the cage. If I left her in the car she may get "lost", even tho' she knows it. I know I am not allowed to visit her during the sailing.

Have you got her on the drugs to help with brain function? This sounds like old age dementia instead of being blind (yes that will contribute, but blind dogs manage very well to find things they want)

I've only ever taken healthy dogs on the ferry, so don't know firsthand how it would work in your situation - however, I very much doubt that the crew would provide her with individual attention.

I would recommend that you phone Spirit of Tasmania and ask them, that's they only way you will actually know for sure, and they are normally very pleasant to talk to. Or even ask them on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/spiritoftasmania?ref=ts&fref=ts :)

Trifecta trip on boat takes 12 hours approximately and that is not including pre registering dog beforehand so add extra time for this etc.

personally if it is absolutely essential dog goes I would not risk subjecting it to this added stress

why not fly as it is quicker (1 hour)and dog would not require eating or drinking in the short time frame. Way less stress and around same cost you could arrange to have someone meet dog at plane arrival if you were still wanting to go on the ferry yourself.

also take into account the vetting requirements now in place for all dogs travelling to Tasmania http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/Attachments/LBUN-86G9WH/$FILE/dogs.pdf

I have never travelled to Tassie on the Spirit so I do not know how long the crossing takes, but would it possible for her to be in a crate in the car?

Sadly, dogs have actually died from carbon-monoxide poisoning traveling this way on the Spirit.

:( It sounds as if it would be VERY stressful for her ... having to toilet in her crate , and a dog who cannot locate water/food bowls without assistance is not in the best condition for added obstacles......

..also I would not entrust her care to crew ....strange people... risk of anxiety /neglect ....

Unfortunately the crew are under orders and when the dog is placed in the kennels they are their till morning.

My dogs have always traveled in the dog trailer while on board. Some dogs I have seen crated in the back of station wagons.

As long as the dogs are on deck 5 you should have no problems.

I also think asking a dog of those years that is blind is asking just a tad to much. Flying would be the better option in this case.

Then at that age and condition I would still not give guarantees.

If you have to hand a dog like this over to strangers, I would make a laminated panel of info - what the condition of the dog is, and what you'd like done for her and when (put times in) - and I'd cable tie that to the crate.

And I'd try to talk personally to the people who will be looking after her. And maybe say something about rewarding those who help. Or stashing $20 with the water bowl or somewhere they'd only find it if they help as requested.

I have never travelled to Tassie on the Spirit so I do not know how long the crossing takes, but would it possible for her to be in a crate in the car?

Sadly, dogs have actually died from carbon-monoxide poisoning traveling this way on the Spirit.

Yes. Horrible, I wouldn't take my dogs over on it. I'd prefer to fly them if they had to go.

Yes. Horrible, I wouldn't take my dogs over on it. I'd prefer to fly them if they had to go.

Yes, a dear friend of mine lost two dogs in the one pass and the third is permanently compromised owing to carbon monoxide poisoning. She had done this trip many time before, always having the dogs in the car or float, on deck 5. This time the official insisted she travel on deck 4. She was sure she shouldn't and stood her ground arguing the point. The official became so insistent and aggressive, convincing her deck 4 was absolutely fine, that she did as she was told in the end, telling herself that they must know what they are talking about.

One died as the ship was leaving and the other shortly before they got to the car after docking on arrival.

Heart breaking.

After much research, evidence has been found that many animals - cats, dogs, horses etc have died during the passes. Hundreds of animals also cross safely with no issues. Still, not odds I would back. Any loss is too many.

The kennels are another story altogether - wet, cold and if you have big dogs and arrive at the wrong time, you have to lift them high to get them into the crates above as everyone hogs the low ones.

Scary stuff. I will never take my dogs on the Spirit. The thought terrifies me.

After thought... if I have written anything above that may be inappropriate, slanderous, get Troy or myself into trouble, please advise and I will happily remove it.

Edited by dyzney

CM not wishing to be blunt - but I wouldn't do it unless you are able to check on your dog yourself - and if i remember correctly, you can't check yourself and must rely on staff. And I think its about 12 hours - so a long trip.

If the issue is you want to have your own car in Tassie then you can request a freight quote for your car here. Then you and your dog could fly and collect the car in Devonport. Two healthy dogs died in their owners car on the Spirit of Tasmania earlier this year. To be fair, apparently it doesn't happen often but personally I wouldn't risk it. I know its quite a bit more more expensive to do it this way - but better than a dead dog IMO.

Good luck with whatever you decide. smile.gif

You cannot check on your dogs at all and the attendants will not do it either.

There is a good reason passengers are not allowed onto the decks once they have left their cars... the fumes.

Edited by dyzney

Yes, a dear friend of mine lost two dogs in the one pass and the third is permanently compromised owing to carbon monoxide poisoning. She had done this trip many time before, always having the dogs in the car or float, on deck 5. This time the official insisted she travel on deck 4. She was sure she shouldn't and stood her ground arguing the point. The official became so insistent and aggressive, convincing her deck 4 was absolutely fine, that she did as she was told in the end, telling herself that they must know what they are talking about.

One died as the ship was leaving and the other shortly before they got to the car after docking on arrival.

Heart breaking.

After much research, evidence has been found that many animals - cats, dogs, horses etc have died during the passes. Hundreds of animals also cross safely with no issues. Still, not odds I would back. Any loss is too many.

The kennels are another story altogether - wet, cold and if you have big dogs and arrive at the wrong time, you have to lift them high to get them into the crates above as everyone hogs the low ones.

Scary stuff. I will never take my dogs on the Spirit. The thought terrifies me.

After thought... if I have written anything above that may be inappropriate, slanderous, get Troy or myself into trouble, please advise and I will happily remove it.

Oh dyzney was that your friend with the Rotties who were off to a show? Heart-breaking and so avoidable. I didn't know those details about transporting animals on this ship. No way would I ever do it now.frown.gif

ETA It sounds like this company needs to really lift its game if its to continue transporting animals. Not good enough. And sounds like a nightmare. Wet??? Surely a clean dry area accessible for owners could be set aside? Nuts. Sounds like a 19th century convict ship. frown.gif

Edited by westiemum