Breeders--how Do You Know Which Microchip Number Belongs To Which Pup?

WExtremeG

My puppies are all colour coded from birth. Everything they do or have done to them is documented on their own individual paperwork as "blue puppy" "pink puppy" etc. As they are microchipped, their colour is written on the microchip documentation and on the back of the spare microchip stickers in the same way.

We record which pup is chipped with which number as they are being chipped. :)

Investing in a scanner is worthwhile - otherwise you mark on the chip forms any identifying features of each pup - or use coloured collars for differentiation of each pup...

T.

My puppies are all colour coded from birth. Everything they do or have done to them is documented on their own individual paperwork as "blue puppy" "pink puppy" etc. As they are microchipped, their colour is written on the microchip documentation and on the back of the spare microchip stickers in the same way.

Thanks for replying, it was along those lines that I was thinking. :) I'm a member of a fb group that is considering people to also include microchip numbers in with the sale ads- am expecting some resistance from the people advertising due to how similar some pups can look like within a litter

With keeping collars on them- are they a special sort? also, would nail polish work instead of?

I made my collars myself by crocheting strips of chain stitch in various colours. It was also easy then to cut the collars off as they grew and replace with new ones (each one that was cut off was kept with the puppies "personal" papers and given to the new owners when they went to new homes). And of course the limit is only on the colours you happen to have on hand or can buy cheaply. The roughness of the stitches means that the collars don't work their way undone like ribbon can. The bitches didn't mind these at all.

You can also buy readymade puppy ID collars in various colours. The choice is yours.

I personally have never had much success with nail polish.

problem is that you wont be able to tell real numbers from fraudulent ones in the ads unless you have access to the registry, imo it is alot of extra work for questionable benefit.

Sadly it is law in some parts of Australia now, so fraudulent numbers or not, they must be listed.

Our puppies are colour coded from birth as well, and like ellz, everything is then recorded in that pups individual record. We used to use ribbons, but last time used puppy ID collars that we got from Whelping Supplies :) The pups then graduated from those collars, to proper little collars as they got older, and by the time they were old enough for chipping they were all in "real" collars. Mind you, by that stage I can normally pick them apart without collars, just by personality and individual appearance differences :)

We've never used nailpolish.

Babies with puppy ID collars from birth

28-7-a.jpg

With a "real" collar at just over 1 month old

red-stack-34days.jpg

I also have colour coded collars. In the past I had a ribbon/string with a little plastic thing on it with a number. Nuber was the order they were born.

One colour of ribbon for boys one for girls.

But after my pups are microchipped (and if I cant tell them appart, which would be rare) they get tattooed. And I remove their collars.

This helps me in just watching them and not being biased, just looking for the best looking puppy regardless of what colour collar it might have been.

As when they have the collars there might be a puppy that always comes up and its in my face all the time so I remember the colour. With no collars I look at them and if I want to know whic one it is I need to look at the tattoo in the ear.

After you've microchipped the pups and they're ready to go to their new homes, how can you tell which chip number/paperwork belongs to which pup?

thanks

I name all of the puppies, even if it's a pet name and hand them to the chipper one at a time, with the correct paper work.

Usually I can tell the difference even when they are all the same colour but have been caught on a few kittens.

I don't like collars, even paper ones so with the pups I shave a little piece off somewhere like under one armpit or shave a belly higher up & mark it down on some paper with the microchip number, if needed.

With kittens I put a different shade of nail polish on the back toes of one paw & record which is which. Needs renewing every couple of days though.

A microchip scanner is easier though. I recently borrowed one to find out which of 2 similar kittens had which chip & while messing about scanning everything in the place I discovered one microchip was missing from another kitten that had been chipped a week prior. Lucky fluke really.