Dog Haters From Hell

Hello.

I really need help. Our neighbor whose dog past away late last year is trying to inflict serious harm, even death of our german shepherd pup.

We bought our pup five weeks ago and have since noticed smashed glass in our backyard on a daily basis. We have caught our pup chewing on glass on a couple of occasions!

Dont know what to do. Seeked help and advise from the RSPCA, local council and german shepherd club who all advised for me to report it to the police.

VicPol are useless as they are quick to add there is no criminal activity in glass being thrown in our yard, and the onus is on us to prove that the neighbors are doing it! That is crazy as the property on the other side of our home has been untennanted for months and I have already stated to the police that I have seen glass been thrown in our yard twice from the neighbours in question. The best Vicpol could do was speak to the neighbours and of course they denied any lnowledge of it.

We are very concerned about our pup's welfare as we have to watch him like a hawk 24/7.

The neighbours are voyeurs as well as their bedroom window blinds aim down into our yard.

We have no privacy and enjoyment in our yard.

Really need some advise. The mother has been caught spying on us through the broken palings. Yes, she's on psych drugs.

My kids are sick with worry and our pup has no freedom in his own yard.

PLEASE HELP. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED.

Jenni

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How disgusting! :mad

Are you able to set up a video camera to catch them in the act? Surely then the police would have to do something?

I really feel for you and your poor innocent pup :( Can you keep him restrained (fenced off I mean, a temporary type of fence) in another part of the yard? Away from that neighbour?

Have you tried talking to them and asking why they are doing it and what their problem is?

How horrible!I agree with the Camera, my other suggestion for some privacy would be to possibly put up some Shade cloth up above the fence line where they look over or some lattice with plant cover for a nicer look. Shade cloth in the right spots may even prevent some of the glass if they are a bad throw confused.gif

I'd keep the dog inside, or build a secure run you can keep the dog in that won't allow anything to be thrown in.

Get cameras and if you catch them take it straight to the cops, be persistent.

Have you had an altercation with them in the past?

I can suggest a few things.

Install a camera outside , so it can 'see' the yard/fence on the neighbour's side. a LINK to some useful cameras :)

Do NOT communicate with them , or retaliate.

keep a diary ..just the time, and what happened.

take lots of photos of damage/rubbish, etc . and keep safely .

build/buy a run for puppy , and keep him in it when you're away ... on the other side of the yard , maybe ?

Put up shade cloth or something to help with privacy ?

Best of luck.

Oh, and BREATHE

How is throwing glass into someone's back yard not illegal??!! Not sure why I have been taking my rubbish to the tip all these years, should just throw it into the neighbours yard :confused:

There's probably no specific law against it so grey area rather than illegal. You'd think it would littering at the least or a nuisance.

Definitely put him in a run if you can, something with a solid roof and overhang so they can't throw anything into it. As for their voyeuristic tendencies, I can come over and parade around naked for a while, that'll put them off or send them blind, one of the two!!! :laugh:

Having dealt with neighbours from hell (mine weren't as bad as yours, she was just a nosy bitch who didn't know how to mind her own business, eventually escalated to court ordered mediation, then we moved out), I wish you the best of luck, and advise you to record absolutely EVERYTHING. Even if it seems mildly annoying but insignificant, keep a note of it. And I hope you're patient, because it can drag on and on and on.

Before you get into the resulting sh*tstorm though, if it's possible, maybe you can talk to her? Maybe she's one of those people who have horrid misconceptions about GSDs, and she thinks that it's going to turn into a viscious killer or something. Perhaps it could help to have her and/or her children meet the dog, get to know him and realise he's just a fluffball with adorable ears?

Of course, that will only work if you're already on speaking terms with her, if she's just psycho it probably wouldn't help. :/

How is throwing glass into someone's back yard not illegal??!! Not sure why I have been taking my rubbish to the tip all these years, should just throw it into the neighbours yard :confused:

Have to say, I found that extraordinary too :confused: . You can't go around throwing broken glass into people's yards. I'm sure if someone did that in the street, the police would be pretty quick off the mark.

I'd move if you could. Psycho neighbours are terrible and dangerous

Yes. It must be horrible to be in a situation like that.

Throw the glass or anything that looks like they have thrown over back and when you see her looking through the pallings just put the hose on the fence :rofl: and if she yells at you just apologise and say you are watering the lawn or there is something on the fence that you are hosing off, might stop her from looking through the fence.

I know someone who's neighbours dog kept pooing on their front lawn and they just went a collected it and threw it back :rofl:

Maree

CPR

Just a lateral thinking suggestion here but maybe too late if the police have already spoken to them:

Maybe take her a bunch of flowers and tell her you are worried that someone might be throwing glass into your yard. Then ask her if she could please let you know if she sees anyone doing it because you are worried about the welfare of your puppy. Might help if she could also meet your puppy and see how adorable it is.

If you can possibly get her on side somehow it could save a lot of stress and heartache! :pray:

Edited by LabTested

I am really interested as to what started all this off - was there any incident that got her offside regarding the dog?

I agree with others about an immediate measure of constructing a run away from that side of the fence - screen the run on that side with mesh as well. You can get fake cameras to attach to the house - if she thinks she is being recorded that may have an effect as she knows you have reported to the police. I don't believe efforts to be friendly work with these types of people - they are not rational.

As to it not being illegal to throw glass in your yard how would the police react if it was a child care centre for instance??

Wow this is bringing back memories. I used to live next door to this old couple who had a gorgeous older dog. They were always chatty and would watch me doing agility training over the fence and always had positive comments about how well behaved my dogs were and how much they loved them. They were always complaining about the dogs in the house behind us and how much they barked, and telling me how good mine were.

Then their little dog died (old age related) and they became really odd. I couldn't train in the yard any more as they would hurl abuse at the slightest yip from either of the dogs (mine generally aren't barkers on course, but they may give me a "hurry up mum" bark once every 5-10mins or so). One time they put a letter in my mailbox telling me they were sick of my dogs keeping them awake all night barking (my dogs slept on the bed with me so I know they weren't making a sound).

Then one day they made a complaint to the council about my dogs. Supposedly recorded them barking all weekend and had all these documented times to go with the tape recording. The rangers came out with a nuisance dog order thing and when I questioned it (as I was on holidays so home a fair bit and knew that had been quiet) they gave me the dates and times. It was a weekend when the dogs were away with me from Friday afternoon until late Sunday night and I had evidence to back up that the dogs were not on the property, and were in fact 6 hours away with me. I had a friend who worked on the administration side of things with the rangers and she said numerous complaints came in from this same neighbour over the next few months but after verifying with my other neighbours that mine were quiet they just ignored them.

Edited by DeltaCharlie

Hmmm... it posted early so going to finish on this post :)

They started throwing things into my yard (pieces of metal with raw meat stashed in it etc) so needless to say I made the decision to move.

The guy who bought the house had bought it as a project to do up and then sell. He brought over a mattress so he could live on site with his lovely GSD. Within a few days he had a complaint in the letter box about how much of a nuisance the dog had been and wouldn't stop barking and carrying on. The letter also made mention of how negligent it was for him to put the dog there and not keep it where he (the new owner) was living. I guess, given that he hadn't brought over any furniture, the neighbours assumed he wasn't staying there. Once again, council became involved, and the given the history there the new owner had no trouble convincing the rangers that he was staying on site and the dog had been quiet.