Who Has Older Dogs Needing A Quiet Home At The Moment?

A lady came in to my work today and we were talking about dogs and she told me that she a while ago she had been in the pet shop in town and they had sold her a jack russell X puppy as a companion for her elderly mother and told her that because it was a small dog it would just sleep on the couch all day and potter around with her :mad

Understandably the reality has not been at all like this and the pup eventually had to move in with this lady as her mother just couldn't keep up with it and it kept jumping on her legs and she was worried it would trip her over. :( It was a real mess and the lady was very upset that she had been taken in by the pet shop (but she doesn't mind that she has the dog now and all credit to her wouldn't get rid of him, he just wasn't suited to her mum).

Her mother would still like to have a dog but clearly a puppy isn't right for her so I told her about rescue, how it worked, etc and suggested that an older dog might suit her well. She was blown away as she had never heard of anything other than the pound and when I explained that the rescue would work with them to place a dog that would suit, etc she was thrilled with the idea.

Sooo.... she has my number, she's going to talk to her mum and if her mum is keen as well she is going to give me a call and I'd love to be able to give her some contacts to talk to that might have something that might suit. I know it is often hard to place older dogs so seemed like an opportunity not to be passed up! Her mum is pretty quiet, potters down to the shops and around home, I suspect a small breed quiet middle age/older dog is what they would be after.

At Easter I rescued 10 yr old "Lacey" - she's a Chihuahua cross whose owner died in January and the family didn't want her. She was desexed but urgently need a dental and lost a couple of teeth. She is vacc'd and heartworm free, has plenty of life left in her and is in good health generally.

She's a truly delightful dog, very loving and a great little character - I can't find anything wrong with her at all. She loves to sit on your lap, she sleeps by me on my bed at night and loves her walks.

She was chubby when she arrived but has lost a kilo and is just about right now at 5.5 kgs.

She's housetrained and uses a doggie door. She's great with other dogs and cats too.

I am not in any hurry to rehome her, she's a really good dog but she'd really like a home like before where she was the centre of someone's universe!

I should add that she has a dense but very soft coat, it's not like a foxy coat - harsh with hair that sticks to everything and I haven't noticed too much shedding but it's easy care which is a bonus.

post-4751-0-00957700-1368275145_thumb.jpg

Edited by dogmad

She's lovely dogmad. I think a major problem with the other one was that being a puppy it was very 'under foot' and she was worried she would trip on it. Because she is living alone since her husband passed away a trip would be bad if she injured herself and couldn't get up. How is this little one around the house, as in whether she is with you but not right under you if you know what I mean?

She's lovely dogmad. I think a major problem with the other one was that being a puppy it was very 'under foot' and she was worried she would trip on it. Because she is living alone since her husband passed away a trip would be bad if she injured herself and couldn't get up. How is this little one around the house, as in whether she is with you but not right under you if you know what I mean?

She is no problem, she doesn't get under my feet - unlike one of mine that has been here for 11 years, he's never learned and is constantly underfoot especially when food is around - his or mine ...

It's surprising how many older people either buy or have puppies bought for them, it's frequently a disaster for both parties.

I'm very experienced at rehoming dogs and wouldn't attempt to place her in the wrong home. I would be thoroughly checking it out. I definitely don't ever want Lacey ending up in the position she was in when I got her. She's pretty fantastic - and I have had many foster dogs to compare. She's gold and they are rare. :)

Edited by dogmad

You should have seen the look on this ladies face as it dawned on her that there was another option out there other than a pet shop and that not only would she be able to find a dog that might suit there were people who would actually work with them to ensure that the dog they wanted was right for them. I felt like I really opened her eyes LOL

I'm always intrigued that people think that elderly people = little dog. I would be inclined to go for a medium sized dog that the person will be more aware of.

Have a look on PetRescue at the medium sized dogs would be my suggestion. And suggest to the lady she gets a set of doggy stairs for the couch and the bed, so the dog can join her with needing to be picked up :)

I'm always intrigued that people think that elderly people = little dog. I would be inclined to go for a medium sized dog that the person will be more aware of.

Have a look on PetRescue at the medium sized dogs would be my suggestion. And suggest to the lady she gets a set of doggy stairs for the couch and the bed, so the dog can join her with needing to be picked up :)

Couldn't agree more DD that's why greyhounds are becoming very popular in nursing homes. Low shedding, zero odour couch potatoes and plenty of older dogs in rescue,we rehomed a grey to an elderly man and it was a match made in heaven. She sits in the sun on the verandah with him, helps him tend to his vegie patch and curls up on the couch with him at night.

Edited by stans mum

Couldn't agree more DD that's why greyhounds are becoming very popular in nursing homes. Low shedding, zero odour couch potatoes and plenty of older dogs in rescue,we rehomed a grey to an elderly man and it was a match made in heaven. She sits in the sun on the verandah with him, helps him tend to his vegie patch and curls up on the couch with him at night.

I'm with you both on that - my mum adopted at Lurcher (Greyhound size dog) with 3 legs in 2010! She doesn't like small dogs. She was 75. He gets walked every day and my brother also takes him out, he's a brilliant dog from a cruel beginning.

I think there are a couple of reasons why people think old = small dog, they've downsized to smaller places and it's also about being able to pick the dog up, have them on their lap etc. Mum's in a very tiny house but does have a roomy backyard but in the UK it's much colder in winter of course so you don't spend too much time outside.

I've just taken a great enquiry for an older German Shepherd I'm rehoming from a very fit 75 year old. I'm hoping it works out as it sounds like a match made in heaven ...

Edited by dogmad

While I agree that a medium sized dog is a more realistic size for an older person they are much harder to walk because they are much stronger. On a few occasions, while out walking, we have had a loose dog run up to us and my cattle dog has nearly pulled my shoulder out in his excitement to greet the other dog.

As understand she just is a small dog person so it wasn't necessarily a case of older person =small dog. I'm going to pass on all these suggestions guys, might even point her in the diresction of this thread so keep them coming :)

I was about to suggest Dogmad to you

You would get complete backup if you take a dog from her, and she is very careful where they go, and is always on hand to help out along the way, can't go far wrong really. :thumbsup:

Otherwise grey would be a good choice too, give her the rescue site's for them aswell, also jill does jrt rescue and may have an older jack.

http://www.iggyrescu...mini-foxie.html Would an Italian Greyhound suit as they are a bit taller and less likely to trip up an older person..

There are a couple on this site .

Thanks Purdie - that's my rescue.

I would definitely NOT recommend an Iggy for an older person - they are very likely to trip you up as they stick like glue, leap into the unknown at the drop of a hat, have no common sense and are esp. interested if food is anywhere. They are hard to housetrain and even if they are, have accidents under certain circumstances. Even the mature ones can still be crazy!

http://www.iggyrescu...mini-foxie.html Would an Italian Greyhound suit as they are a bit taller and less likely to trip up an older person..

There are a couple on this site .

Thanks Purdie - that's my rescue.

I would definitely NOT recommend an Iggy for an older person - they are very likely to trip you up as they stick like glue, leap into the unknown at the drop of a hat, have no common sense and are esp. interested if food is anywhere. They are hard to housetrain and even if they are, have accidents under certain circumstances. Even the mature ones can still be crazy!

Ok thanks;I've learned something about Iggys.....:)...Genie the foxie x sounds like a sweet little dog.

Just adding that it helps if the elderly person has back-up with medium to bigger dogs, for the bathing, walking & getting them into the car to go to the vet.

I know of an elderly lady with a lovely pet greyhound.... arranged by her family with links to greyhound racing. Works wonderfully, but the family have sorted someone to do daily walk & they do any vet runs.

A caller who didn't know she owned a pet, was amazed when he saw this big grey standing beside her, when she opened the door. He commented what a good thing it was ... that the lady had a big 'friend'!

Edited by mita

LOL, loving the stories about the greyhounds in new homes and hopefully the 75 year old will get a perfect companion.

Although I note that OP has said the lady was a "little dog person", I was going to suggest a greyhound to the OP, but thought I'd leave it to those with actually experience :) .

I can relate because I would really love to have a big dog and love to look at them and dream, but then I see a little dog out walking, playing having a lovely time and my heart melts. Just something in one's make up, I suppose.

Although I note that OP has said the lady was a "little dog person", I was going to suggest a greyhound to the OP, but thought I'd leave it to those with actually experience :) .

I know I'm biased, but Tibbies are great as mature=aged little dogs who are in their Buddhist element living in a quiet home.

Don't know if there's any in rescue in Victoria at the moment.

And my tibbies' best friends happen to be the greyhounds next door!

Edited by mita