Advice On Owning A Big Dog And A Little Dog

Hello, my husband and I have been researching into getting a 2nd dog to add to our home, we are currently parents to a 2 year old frenchie who is a clown. We have been researching lots of breeds but are very interested in the Golden Retriever and we keep coming back to it. I know that they are fantastic dogs, however we are still trying to decide if the size would be a problem. Our frenchie loves to play and roughhouse but thinks she is bigger than she actually is. Our fear is that she will egg on a full grown sized Golden Retriever and it will accidentally hurt her during play. Should this be a major concern, or is there a way we can prevent this happening? Can you effectively teach the bigger dog to be gentle to the smaller dog? Of course supervision would be the obvious solution in the beginning but I am thinking in the future when the puppy is a bit older and can be left alone with our frenchie while we are out.

The other breed we were thinking of is the Beagle, however they seem to be a more independent dog and seem to have a lot of stamina, we run a business and bring our dog to the office every day and plan to bring both in when the pup is older so we need a breed that will learn to settle down after a morning of exercise. also because of our dog's cheery but boisterous nature we are not considering anything toy sized. Would a breed similar in size to our current dog be a better idea? any advice welcome, thank you!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Aussie is about GR size or just under, and loves rough and tumble playing especially body slamming! Schipperkes are a fairly sturdy breed and the 2 boys get along great despite the size difference. They do play very rough and because rusty is so vocal a lot of people think biscuit is being attacked...but no, that's how they play :laugh: but rusty does know not to step over the line and biscuit will tell him off if he does. Biscuit also does his share of ear tugging and pestering rusty. But they really are the best of friends and get along so well!

Just sharing my experience, but hopefully a frenchie owner can step in and share theirs :D

Hello, my husband and I have been researching into getting a 2nd dog to add to our home, we are currently parents to a 2 year old frenchie who is a clown. We have been researching lots of breeds but are very interested in the Golden Retriever and we keep coming back to it. I know that they are fantastic dogs, however we are still trying to decide if the size would be a problem. Our frenchie loves to play and roughhouse but thinks she is bigger than she actually is. Our fear is that she will egg on a full grown sized Golden Retriever and it will accidentally hurt her during play. Should this be a major concern, or is there a way we can prevent this happening? Can you effectively teach the bigger dog to be gentle to the smaller dog? Of course supervision would be the obvious solution in the beginning but I am thinking in the future when the puppy is a bit older and can be left alone with our frenchie while we are out.

The other breed we were thinking of is the Beagle, however they seem to be a more independent dog and seem to have a lot of stamina, we run a business and bring our dog to the office every day and plan to bring both in when the pup is older so we need a breed that will learn to settle down after a morning of exercise. also because of our dog's cheery but boisterous nature we are not considering anything toy sized. Would a breed similar in size to our current dog be a better idea? any advice welcome, thank you!

We have had, for many years, both Golden Retrievers and Yorkshire Terriers. They get along famously, but we have always had to watch when a fun situation occurs as the Goldens don 't really know they are so much bigger than a Yorkie. It's all in the training - just having one of each would not be difficult.

I have a standard poodle and miniature poodle who are best buddies. It helps that the miniature poodle is older and she really mothered the standard puppy when we got her and she is also the boss while the standard girl is a softie with not a mean bone in her body. So, it can be done but I think the nature of the two dogs is important. It has also been my observation of many years of owning standard poodles that their play style is not rough - ours could play in the house and not destroy the place. They are very playful dogs but very aware of their bodies - they do not slam into each other or furniture but are very nimble and athletic - they are not rough when they wrestle and mouth. So, consider the play styles of the two breeds you are wanting to put together.

The standard weighs 26kg and the mini 7.5 - she is smaller than she appears in this photo

post-11765-0-86259800-1368753734_thumb.jpg

Edited by frufru

We have had, for many years, both Golden Retrievers and Yorkshire Terriers. They get along famously, but we have always had to watch when a fun situation occurs as the Goldens don 't really know they are so much bigger than a Yorkie. It's all in the training - just having one of each would not be difficult.

Thank u, great hearing from a GR owner! Wow that's quite a size difference! Yes training would be key if we were to get one, love the idea of doing obedience, I've taught our frenchie some clever commands but she will only perform them when she feels like it and not without treats on hand! :laugh:

I have big & small but you need to teach the little dog just as much as the big .

Big dogs play like big dogs some little dogs are stirrers & can be the trouble maker .

My big dogs are taught to lay down to play BUT they are also allowed to have big dog play because i won't take away what is natural to them especially when there pups.

I guess the biggest concern witha Frenchie & chosing the right playmate is the summer months & it not going over the top in the heat .

It can be done but matching the personalities is a must ,Frenchies can be full on so its depends whether you want something that matches well or in the Goldies case will require more exercise as a pup & want to walk longer distances than say the Frenchie will.

It depends i guess on work whether you want big & small,keep in the mind the Goldie will shed alot more coat than the Frenchie .

I have big & small but you need to teach the little dog just as much as the big .

Big dogs play like big dogs some little dogs are stirrers & can be the trouble maker .

My big dogs are taught to lay down to play BUT they are also allowed to have big dog play because i won't take away what is natural to them especially when there pups.

I guess the biggest concern witha Frenchie & chosing the right playmate is the summer months & it not going over the top in the heat .

It can be done but matching the personalities is a must ,Frenchies can be full on so its depends whether you want something that matches well or in the Goldies case will require more exercise as a pup & want to walk longer distances than say the Frenchie will.

It depends i guess on work whether you want big & small,keep in the mind the Goldie will shed alot more coat than the Frenchie .

Thanks showdog,Yes you are right I would definitely say our Frenchie would be the instigator in the crazy play, we have taught her how to "settle" which she does quite well, she IS a very playful dog but will take the hint when other dogs are not receptive to this. However if a dog wants to wrestle she will gladly oblige.

We have done lots of research on the breed and are fully aware of both the Golden's exercise needs and heavy shedding - both of which would not be a problem, we are fortunate enough to have a very flexible working life running our business and dedicating equal time and effort to the needs of both dogs would not be an issue.......we are also not too house proud, the only change we'd make is maybe going for light floors instead of dark wood when it comes time to put down new floor boards :laugh:

We are happy to commit to separate exercise regimes for both as obviously a frenchie could not ever handle the amount of exercise a golden needs. In summer our frenchie is always inside with the AC on except for bathroom breaks, walks take place very early in the morning and never during the day and any play during summer months would be strictly indoors - yard access is always supervised at all times even during winter. We are extremely careful about her during the heat as u probably already know they are prone to overdoing it!

I have a standard poodle and miniature poodle who are best buddies. It helps that the miniature poodle is older and she really mothered the standard puppy when we got her and she is also the boss while the standard girl is a softie with not a mean bone in her body. So, it can be done but I think the nature of the two dogs is important. It has also been my observation of many years of owning standard poodles that their play style is not rough - ours could play in the house and not destroy the place. They are very playful dogs but very aware of their bodies - they do not slam into each other or furniture but are very nimble and athletic - they are not rough when they wrestle and mouth. So, consider the play styles of the two breeds you are wanting to put together.

The standard weighs 26kg and the mini 7.5 - she is smaller than she appears in this photo

post-11765-0-86259800-1368753734_thumb.jpg

Beautiful poodles frufru!

Our frenchie's nickname is the "cannonball", her play style is not delicate at all but we always make sure she minds her manners and now that she's getting over the puppy stage she is definitely a lot more mindful when playing, especially of the other dog is not receptive..... she will walk in the opposite direction and wiggle on her back with her tummy in the air, trying to "entice" the other dog to play :laugh: she means well but we are trying to be very thorough with picking our next dog to make sure they'll get along equally

I have an old Wiemaraner and a young Beagle cross. Hugo the Beagle X is 18 months now and still very feisty. They play a lot - pretty roughly sometimes! - and yep, they do crash into furniture and often I have to put Hugo on leash while inside to calm him down and give Daisy a break. I have to say, it can be bloody annoying isn't very conducive to relaxing!

Nobody has been hurt here, but Hugo is quite a bit larger than a Frenchie.

Our male is over 55 kilos and his his best mate is a 4 kilo terrier cross female. Woe to any one who dares hurt her! he is extremely gentle with her and they are left unattended in the house when we are away. She will tell him off if he gets rough,but thats very rare. Being accidentaly stepped on is all we need worry about.

Edited by moosmum

I have an old Wiemaraner and a young Beagle cross. Hugo the Beagle X is 18 months now and still very feisty. They play a lot - pretty roughly sometimes! - and yep, they do crash into furniture and often I have to put Hugo on leash while inside to calm him down and give Daisy a break. I have to say, it can be bloody annoying isn't very conducive to relaxing!

Nobody has been hurt here, but Hugo is quite a bit larger than a Frenchie.

Thanks so much for sharing! Yes that definitely sounds like the kind of craziness I am anticipating :laugh: expecting lots of time-outs as well, regardless of what dog we end up choosing! I know you mentioned you had a beagle X but what is his personality like if you don't mind me asking, is he very playful? A beagle is definitely the runner up at this point if we don't decide on a Golden - we've done months of research on both but I like hearing from the owners!

Our male is over 55 kilos and his his best mate is a 4 kilo terrier cross female. Woe to any one who dares hurt her! he is extremely gentle (and protective) with her and they are left unattended in the house when we are away. She will tell him off if he gets rough,but thats very rare. Being accidentaly stepped on is all we need worry about.

Oh my goodness that sounds like an adorable pair! Which one did you get first, if you don't mind me asking? Did you get them both as pups or did you adopt them older? Thanks for sharing!

One of my best friends has a goldie, he has been pushed by my much smaller dog since they first met (she was only about 3kg when they first met!). He is just sooo gentle and loving with her, and can take her rough play without getting too rough back. I think a nice golden is really one of the best bigger breeds to pair with a small one :thumbsup:

The terrier was a 2 yr old rescue (now 10) The male came to us as a pup 6 years ago,but we already had 1 adult Dobe when the Bella came. She was terrific with all animals and welcomed Bella. Likely taught the boy his gentle manners. She was our baby sitter, teacher and second woman of the house :laugh: .We were always able to leave pups in her care when we were out.She made sure every one behaved.

I have always had different sized dogs and never had problems with it. Introductions are important, Piper and Lizzy had a fantastic bond...

Taken when piper was due to have her second litter..

28886_127051197307923_6900073_n.jpg

I used to have a GSD x Collie Rough and a tiny little Maltese, they were very close. I probably will always have different sized dogs, it's normal for me..

When we were kids we had a GSD, Dobermann, working Kelpies, Border Collies and a little Silky Terrier x - all got on great. The Dobermann used to adopt the stay kittens that used to be dumped near our farm.

Edited by Andisa

I just have the one Goldie, but I have no doubt she'd be fine with a frenchie. As someone said, a gentle tempered Goldie would play very nicely. Mine has always been very sweet with littlies.

You mention exercise- you'd be suprised how lazy they can be (you don't see so many fat ones for nothing :() . They may be bigger but my bet would be on the Frenchie outlasting the Goldie! :laugh:

That said, because GRs have a disposition towards hip problems, you should take care to keep them fit & lean (against their protestations :laugh: ) , but they definitely are not a non-stop high-exercise breed.

Mine would LOVE a morning run followed by lazing about with her family at the office all day. It'd be heaven for her.

If you got a GR like mine, it would work out brilliantly. :D

If you like beagles but are unsure if they would be too full on maybe look at bassets. Our girl is very similiar personality wise to a beagle but they aren't as full on and being short wouldn't be that much taller than your frechie. They are very gentle and Josie has always naturally just laid down to play. Also very cruisy so would be easy to have in the office.