Would You Guys Go To The Emergency Vet For This?

Inka3095

She can lick her wound, that's fine. Just stop her if she chews. The cloud collar is if they just won't stop chewing and leaving it alone.

Are you kidding? Stitches wick moisture directly into the wound. You do NOT want bacteria laden saliva anywhere near stitches. Once stitches come out, its OK because the wound is closed and there is nothing to allow bacteria to pass into it.

If the dog wants to lick that wound, distract from the behaviour or leave the cloud collar on.

To the OP. If you are unhappy with how your dog is behaving then it's time to go. If nothing else, some injectable pain relief will make YOU feel better.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She can lick her wound, that's fine. Just stop her if she chews. The cloud collar is if they just won't stop chewing and leaving it alone.

Are you kidding? Stitches wick moisture directly into the wound. You do NOT want bacteria laden saliva anywhere near stitches. Once stitches come out, its OK because the wound is closed and there is nothing to allow bacteria to pass into it.

If the dog wants to lick that wound, distract from the behaviour or leave the cloud collar on.

To the OP. If you are unhappy with how your dog is behaving then it's time to go. If nothing else, some injectable pain relief will make YOU feel better.

A bit of licking here and there will not hurt. Since the dog is very distressed and putting a cloud collar on is making her even more stressed. If you read my next post down you will see I suggested distraction if she licks aas an alternative. but here and there is to be expected.

Edit to add that most sutures these days are made out of non-absorbable material..

Edited by mixeduppup

A bit of licking here and there will not hurt. Since the dog is very distressed and putting a cloud collar on is making her even more stressed. If you read my next post down you will see I suggested distraction if she licks a lot. but here and there is to be expected.

Define "a bit". You're in the business of advising pet owners on how to care for their pets post operations. Best be specific.

If the stitches wick bacteria inside a fresh post operative wound, believe me, it WILL hurt. I'd be inclined to cover the wound with a wrap for a while rather than allow the dog to lick it.

A bit of licking here and there will not hurt. Since the dog is very distressed and putting a cloud collar on is making her even more stressed. If you read my next post down you will see I suggested distraction if she licks a lot. but here and there is to be expected.

Define "a bit". You're in the business of advising pet owners on how to care for their pets post operations. Best be specific.

If the stitches wick bacteria inside a fresh post operative wound, believe me, it WILL hurt. I'd be inclined to cover the wound with a wrap for a while rather than allow the dog to lick it.

A sniff and a lick or two and then not much else, anything apart from that is excessive and should be redirected.

A sniff and a lick or two and then not much else, anything apart from that is excessive and should be redirected.

Contrast that with your previous statement:

She can lick her wound, that's fine. Just stop her if she chews.

You are studying veterinary nursing. People are going to take you at your word..... please be careful about what you say in this regard.

I apologise and should have been more clearer. I have the flu and probably shouldn't be commenting at all. please ignore any and all future and/or past advice you get/got from me. Cheers.

Edited by mixeduppup

Never let a dog lick a wound, particularly one with sutures! The skin will soften, stitches will tear out, and there is a huge risk of infection.

No licking at all. Not one lick.

I apologise and should have been more clearer. I have the flu and probably shouldn't be commenting at all. please ignore any and all future and/or past advice you get/got from me. Cheers.

I hope you feel better soon. Rest and get off DOL, if not for your physical health, then for your mental health! :laugh:

Guest donatella

I hope you feel better soon. Rest and get off DOL, if not for your physical health, then for your mental health! :laugh:

HAHA you crack me up Anne!

One of my boys had two undescended testicles and they had to rummage for them. When he was desexed he was very uncomfortable and distressed in the day or two after. He would not settle and whimpered a lot. He was on pain medication, but obviously still far from a happy boy. Called the vets the night he got home and they said we could bring him in and they would look after him, but there's a thing with our vet hospital that once you sign them in for a night that's it, they stay. Because it's students that man the place at night and they aren't allowed to release them. We opted to have him with us and my partner managed to get him to sleep on the couch with him. The next night I slept with him on the couch. It was THE ONLY way he would settle. After that he started to recover and calm down a bit. When our other boy was desexed we were kinda trepidatious, but he acted like nothing had happened. He didn't worry the wound, but the older dog was licking it for him. The vet gave us a bitter substance to dab on around the wound. That sure solved that problem.

Maybe she doesn't like the cone/cloud collar, and that's what's stopping her from lying down? You have to admit, they look pretty uncomfortable to sleep in...

Can you lay your hands on any vetwrap or bandages of any sort? Wrap a few times around the belly tight enough and widely enough that she can't get to the wound, but loosely enough that it's not constrictive - and see how she goes with that...

T.

The bitch has internal stitches, how are they going to wick bacteria into the wound?

Licking a small amount won't hurt but you need to keep her warm, anaesthetics lower their body temperature. Also sometimes they react worse to the shaving than they do to the surgery it is usually what makes them want to lick.

She doesn't sound comfortable at all, if it were me I would have already had her to the vet.

If you do need to keep a head collar on I would be going and getting a soft flexible one so it doesn't bother her so much.

I do have the soft flexible one, the 'cloud collar' I think it's called. She hates that more than anything else in the world.. except being desexed apparently.

It's so strange. Inside she will just sook, with her head almost touching the floor, standing with her tail between her legs for hours upon hours. Outside if I take her out the front she seems to 'forget' and runs around with her tail up like normal wanting to sniff things and pulling on the leash. I don't know if this is all behavioural or if it's real.

I'm in touch with the breeder who said it sounds like she's just been spoilt far too much and doesn't know how to deal with things she doesn't like. I haven't meant to spoil her over her time with us :( I just treat her like I do all my dogs, with lots of love and attention and spending lots of time with her.... none of my other dogs have been this sooky though. I don't think she's 'unwell' in that her wound still looks fine and she's not lethargic or flat. It's like she's just so displeased with everything and this is her protest. If she were exactly the same outside I'd be more worried but ugh, I just don't know.

Have to work today but my bf is home with her. If she's like this when I get home I don't care if it's right or wrong I'm going to have to take her to the vet, even just for some reassurance from the guy who did the surgery

Being spoilt too much won't make her act this way. Mine are all ruined & kittens & puppies are even more so & they are never like your dog afterwards.

Some dogs like some people don't deal with pain well, its a variable & personal thing.

Get her checked again & if the vet says all is fine I would ask for more pain relief & keep her on it for a longer time than the usual.

have you tried introducing some new toys/treat dispensers etc ?

get her something really exciting ... and interactive ... and noisy ;) let her have a gentle play .... and see what happens .

I would also changer her bedding ..so any remnants of 'vet smell' are gone ....and iI, being mean, wouldn't give her 'brekkie in bed' or anything special , as long as she is alert & interested when outdoors .

Edited by persephone

Absolute rubbish about spoiling her, I have only once had a dog react so bad to desexing and he was a dog with very little pain tolerance, took him back to the vet the next day for pain relief and he came good.

Speying is major surgery and owners often forget because its all done so routinely.

I do have the soft flexible one, the 'cloud collar' I think it's called. She hates that more than anything else in the world.. except being desexed apparently.

It's so strange. Inside she will just sook, with her head almost touching the floor, standing with her tail between her legs for hours upon hours. Outside if I take her out the front she seems to 'forget' and runs around with her tail up like normal wanting to sniff things and pulling on the leash. I don't know if this is all behavioural or if it's real.

I'm in touch with the breeder who said it sounds like she's just been spoilt far too much and doesn't know how to deal with things she doesn't like. I haven't meant to spoil her over her time with us :( I just treat her like I do all my dogs, with lots of love and attention and spending lots of time with her.... none of my other dogs have been this sooky though. I don't think she's 'unwell' in that her wound still looks fine and she's not lethargic or flat. It's like she's just so displeased with everything and this is her protest. If she were exactly the same outside I'd be more worried but ugh, I just don't know.

Have to work today but my bf is home with her. If she's like this when I get home I don't care if it's right or wrong I'm going to have to take her to the vet, even just for some reassurance from the guy who did the surgery

What an odd thing to say :confused: Maybe when she is outside she is distracted and "forgets" she is sore and strains herself but when she comes inside it hurts again?

Can you put a jacket or coat on her which will cover the wound and also provide some comfort? Hope she feels better soon - I doubt she is "putting it on".

What does she do if you take her for a car ride ? :) LIFT her in & out.

If you put her in different rooms .. or in the back yard , what does she do ?

Just show her that life goes on as per normal ... you are not cross , she is safe , and there are new toys & bones to enjoy :)

She is the weirdest dog! It's like she's forgotten how to lie down and now thinks sleeping on ones feet is normal...

I got home from work at 4pm and my bf said he'd been driven mad trying to make her rest all day. Transferring from her crate to her pen to outside to a light walk and then just ignoring her... none of it worked and all he heard all day was the noise of her falling against the sides of the crate as she fell asleep and slumped to the side before righting herself to stand again...

Couldn't handle it any more and took her to the emergency vet centre. I think the nice vet thought I was dramatizing the whole situation but that aside, she didn't recommend anything except an anti-inflammatory which she gave in injection form there and I have some for home for the next 4 days. It's just a non-steroidal but I'm sure it's a good idea.

No signs of infection, nothing wrong with the wound as yet, healing well but obviously very sore as she's very tender to touch and guarding.

However.. has now been an hour and she's identical to how she was. Standing, swaying, her nose now touching the floor and she's alternating between falling sideways and falling forward which is squashing her nose and making her wake up suddenly..

SO FRUSTRATED :(