Would You Guys Go To The Emergency Vet For This?

Inka3095

I would be giving her the second painkiller tablet, she is obviously in pain from what you have described but do not shove the tablet down her throat like someone has suggested.

With my breed they have c sections to have their babies, what I do and they usually take it without a fuss is, crush the tablet between two teaspoons and add a dash of honey, they love it it is a kinder way to do it than forcing it down their throats.

Also if she is not wanting to eat, another sign of discomfort, I mix up a mixture of milk.

1 Cup Lactose free milk, 1 egg yolk, teaspoon vanilla essence, 1 desertspoon of honey, whisk all ingredients together and let her lap that at least it is a lot goodness in it, of course I also add cold press Flaxseed oil, if you do not have that a desertspoon of ordinary Olive oil.

Hope this helps. :)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to disagree with all those people who know so much about dogs. Take their advice please!

However... Breed wise..I do have a shiba that was very good at milking a reaction. Full on trembling, staggering and whimpers. Long after his hurts. Don't disregard the pain at all , but remember, if it gets attention it may be used...

Its not normal for a dog to come home like this after desexing. I have had many desexed including my 8 year old this year. No shaking, trembling, wobbling or whining at all.

She came home alert & acted & ate normally. I crated her in the lounge so she wouldn't jump & was kept in an even temperature for the next 48 hours but that was precautionary not what she wanted.

If your dog is not more comfortable in an hour I would be ringing the vet back & considering taking her in. Hope she settles & you both get a peaceful night.

If she is not right tomorrow in any way get her checked.

Its not normal for a dog to come home like this after desexing. I have had many desexed including my 8 year old this year. No shaking, trembling, wobbling or whining at all.

She came home alert & acted & ate normally. I crated her in the lounge so she wouldn't jump & was kept in an even temperature for the next 48 hours but that was precautionary not what she wanted.

If your dog is not more comfortable in an hour I would be ringing the vet back & considering taking her in. Hope she settles & you both get a peaceful night.

It is actually quite normal for some dogs. My kelpie was terrible for an entire day. Some more sensitive dogs just don't bounce back from the anaesthetic as quickly. I'm not with her dog so don't know but being wobbly, shaky and off their food can be normal for some dogs. I'm not saying the OP shouldn't have the vet on call at all. Just saying that I've had a couple of dogs react similar and some just woke up and that was it. it's very much the individual dog.

Just out of interested OP, did you ask how she reacted to the anaesthetic whilst under and recovering?

Edited by mixeduppup

Thanks everyone

If she wasn't a shiba I think I'd be at the vet... however, I have seen her act like this before when I've done something she's disagreed with (like wearing a collar, or a harness or the worst of all insults, the little nappy when she went into season). I've just never known it to last an entire day associated with shaking and exhaustion. She's either been in really significant pain or she's a really great actress.

I gave her that tramadol, took her out for a short midnight walk to do a big pee and she seems slightly happier with her tail at half-mast instead of almost between her legs. I'm going to move her crate into my bedroom and hope that once she knows we're asleep she'll give up and get some rest herself. At least I can check on her during the night and she can tell me if she's in real trouble because I'll be right there.

I've turned the heating up as well so it's toasty inside.

Really appreciate all the help. Thank you soo much

My Lab who usually doesn't appear to feel any pain, was a terrible sook after she got desexed. 3 days of shaking and looking completely miserable.

I took her to the vet for a nice long acting pain injection, which seemed to settle her down and let her get on with healing.

T.

My girl had a lot of trouble with pain after her mastectomy, laying down pulled her stitches tight so I had to hold her in a stand so she could sleep the first night. Tramadol can produce some interesting side effects including shaking, panting, glazed over eyes and hallucinations. I had passed off a lot of the symptoms in my old boy as dementia until Milly had the same reactions.

Its scary watching them struggle when you cant do anymore to help them.

Hope you managed to get some sleep too last night.

Edited by RubyBlue

My pug came home like this after her desexing, she stood in the one spot, shaking, wouldn't even walk. I think it was more a reaction to the GA than the actual op itself, but she was wobbly and and shaky and it was scary seeing her like that, but after 12 hours she settled down.

She also wouldn't lay down unless I had her on my lap (she would stand over my lap, and then eventually would just sag down until she was laying down, but she probably didn't even realise she was gradually laying down.

Their bodies and heads can be pretty foggy after a GA.

Yes I was going to say Tramadol can produce interesting effects from my experience. I also would be careful crushing the tramadol as I gather they aren't suppose to be crushed.

The 20mg of tramadol worked after about 30-40 minutes and she became a little less stressed. I laid a nice blanket on the ground and lay down next to her and convinced her to lie down if I was there. We both fell asleep until about 4am (omg sore back today!). I put her back in her crate and I went to bed. Woke up to find her licking her wound this morning, so back on goes the cloud collar. Now she hates life again and is back to standing, but at least she's had a few hours sleep so I'm less panicky about the whole thing.

Would you guys ever try to put bandaids or something over the cut or will she just hurt herself ripping them off? She's not chewing at the wound (all internal stitches and nothing to nibble on) but I think it's just sore and irritating her so she's licking the skin near it as well. If I could get the collar off her she may be happier, but I can't have her licking at it all day either.

I hate this surgery! Wish there weren't nasty health risks leaving a non-breeding female entire or I wouldn't have done this to her. She lives inside so I don't have to worry about oopsie puppies, I only did this so we have less chance of cancer and other things later on...

Guest donatella

I don't want to disagree with all those people who know so much about dogs. Take their advice please!

However... Breed wise..I do have a shiba that was very good at milking a reaction. Full on trembling, staggering and whimpers. Long after his hurts. Don't disregard the pain at all , but remember, if it gets attention it may be used...

I'm not sure you've ever had surgery that mimics that of one of a hysterectomy but I wouldn't doubt her level of pain. It is a big operation and very painful after.

Inka I hope she is feeling better. I really need to get my youngest done and I am sooooo dreading it :(

oh really?! Licking is ok? You've just saved my puppy from many more hours of collar-induced torture!

Not excessive licking but a bit here and there is ok. If she gets obsessive or doesn't stop just redirect her or tell her off. :)

Edited by mixeduppup

My 1 year old pei girl came home from surgery the week before last (dog fight wounds) and had to be carried to the car and into the house as she was still quite out to it (my vet trusts me to monitor and call her if I have concerns). She lay exactly where we put her down half in and half out of her crate. Total dead weight. We checked her every 15 mins and she woke about 8.30pm wanting something to eat (didn't get anything). All night after that she cried and trembled and wouldn't be comforted by anything I did or settle in any one place (but she did lie down here and there). I figured some of the anaesthetic wearing off was making her feel out of sorts but also had a gut feeling she needed more pain meds. So I rang the vet and got a different type (name now escapes me) first thing the next morning and she was much, much better. By day 3 she was back to her usual self really but had to spend 2 whole weeks wearing the cone of shame because she pulled a drain out of her leg whilst pretending to eat her dinner on night 4!

I hope your bubba is feeling more herself now. I think you have to trust your gut sometimes because just like people animals can respond differently to pain and meds.

That's a pretty decent reaction to desexing surgery!! My guys have been a breeze and had they acted like your poor Shiba girl, I would've panicked too.

My two dogs acted like nothing had happened and it was hard work keeping them quiet. My cat was the same -- running around the house like a moron and didn't sulk at all.

Hope your girl's feeling better this afternoon!