How Much Food?

My daughter has a 3 month old German Shepherd puppy who looks quite skinny. They are currently feeding per the schedule of large dog puppy food 1 cup at night and 2 x 2x4s in the morning.

Is this enough? he seems really skinny or are they meant to look like that at that age?

Any advice please.

The first step is to ask the puppy's breeder .

Second would be to get a vet check

What brand dog food are you feeding?

What meat/bones does pup get?

What worming schedule is he on?

If a pup looks skinny , he may not be getting good quality food ...

can you post a photo ?

what are 2x2x4?s

I would probably have a large breed pup like a GSD on around 3 cups of a good quality dry food per day (split into 2-3 meals).

But as persephone said check with the breeder or a vet who has seen the pup in person.

They do go through stages when they look all kinds of ugly, gangly and skinny.

Maybe add some meat into his diet

I thought that too but at 3 months he should still be pretty roly poly I would've thought. Seems a bit early for the gawky teenage phase lol.

My Chihuahua pup gets 1/3 cup dry during the day and BARF at night so 1 cup for a GSD doesn't seem like enough.

simple method - skinny dog = needs more food (unless there is vet diagnosis needed if no weight gain with more food)

fat dog = feed less food (or for growing pup, just don;t increase amount until pup back to correct weight)

At 12 weeks, I would have the pup on 3 meals a day minimum

My daughter has a 3 month old German Shepherd puppy who looks quite skinny. They are currently feeding per the schedule of large dog puppy food 1 cup at night and 2 x 2x4s in the morning.

Is this enough? he seems really skinny or are they meant to look like that at that age?

Any advice please.

not enough food by any means. 2x4's a not a meal as such, they are a snack and extra hard to help keep teeth clean. This poor puppy needs at least 2 meals a day of proper food. :mad

Any advice please.

not enough food by any means. 2x4's a not a meal as such, they are a snack and extra hard to help keep teeth clean. This poor puppy needs at least 2 meals a day of proper food. :mad

This ! !

At 3 months, both my pups were on 3 meals a day. My older pup stopped having her midday meal at about 4 months by herself.She wasn't hungry and now she only eats once at night. My 4 month old is still having 3 meals a day.

Great many thanks, the pup has been to the vet recently for vaccination and nothing was said when my daughter mentioned she was worried that they weren't giving him enough.

Pup came from an accidental mating so the original owners are not breeders.

He's on Bonny Large Dog Puppy from what I can remember.

Thanks will let her know to increase his food.

Edited by Loreley

Pup came from an accidental mating so the original owners are not breeders.

Um - yes, they are!

Definitely not enough food if that's all it's getting - my sawn-off Stafford pups would get twice as much as that!

MOVED TO GOLDEN RETRIEVER PUPPY - FEEDING QUERY

I have read this post and am still unsure if I am underfeeding my puppy. As per breeder suggestions my 9 week old golden retriever gets:

Breakfast - 1.5 weetbix with milk and 1/4 large tin pedigree puppy food

Lunch - 3/4 C supercoat for large breed puppy food and 1 chicken wing

Dinner - 1.5 weetbix with milk and 1/4 large tin pedigree puppy food

He gets puppy treats during training - and this seems to be the problem....he goes nutso for them, when there are no more he sometimes starts growling, jumping up and nipping for more. When he behaves like this we walk away and refuse to play with him.

Is he getting enough food. (He is a very large pup already, at 8 weeks he was 8.5 kilograms and 33cm from paw to shoulder when sitting (twice the size of all his brothers and sisters).

Edited by Kat70

Why weetbix? I really dont understand why breeders give that as a meal.. why not give him as his meals The dry food with some freash meat, yogurt.. And throw in some chicken necks...??

I changed my pups food when i got them.. There are better drys foods out there then supercoat n pal

Edited by TeamSnag

MOVED TO GOLDEN RETRIEVER PUPPY - FEEDING QUERY

I have read this post and am still unsure if I am underfeeding my puppy. As per breeder suggestions my 9 week old golden retriever gets:

Breakfast - 1.5 weetbix with milk and 1/4 large tin pedigree puppy food

Lunch - 3/4 C supercoat for large breed puppy food and 1 chicken wing

Dinner - 1.5 weetbix with milk and 1/4 large tin pedigree puppy food

get rid of the weetbix, milk, tin food. I'm happy to feed supercoat, so give some for breakfast as well, and for tea I'd go a couple of chicken wings.