Does Anyone Use Coconut Oil For Their Pets?

I am going to try this on one of my palomino horses to see if I see a difference in coat but have also been asked to stock it for pets as it is supposed to be quite good internally and externally and I was wondering if anyone uses coconut oil or has any stories they can share

Coconut Oil for Pets

I do, but I feed it sparingly as it is a saturated fat. I feed them the same one that I use for myself.

I think it has helped Lucy's coat, as her skin would get flakey and it isn't flakey any more. However, I've also given her more fish and an Omega blend, so I'm not sure which ingredient is helping.

The dogs that get fed Augustine Approved would get coconut oil too.

I used to give it to my two dogs...one tablespoon a day on their food & they looked fabulous. I don't give it to them now as I am giving them Livamol & about 4 egg yolks a week when I have plenty of eggs, so don't want to overdo it.

We use it a once a week and they get evening primrose oil every night. All of my dogs coats are thick and healthy and Graysons skin and coat has improved dramatically since he arrived three months ago.

I also rub it into their skin if they're itchy.

Where do you get the evening primrose oil from? I was once going to try it on my itchy dog but I couldn't find it anywhere. I assume the coconut oil is from the supermarket.

The coconut oil you use is NOT from the supermarket. Only buy cold pressed organic coconut oil from the health food shops. :)

Where do you get the evening primrose oil from? I was once going to try it on my itchy dog but I couldn't find it anywhere. I assume the coconut oil is from the supermarket.

The coconut oil you use is NOT from the supermarket. Only buy cold pressed organic coconut oil from the health food shops. :)

Thanks. Would i get the evening primrose oil there too?

I also use coconut oil with Abbey, ran out a couple of weeks ago and hadn't got around to getting any, anyways her coat when very dry and brittle so back onto the coconut oil and she is nice and shinny again, dropping hair for unknown reasons at this time of the year but otherwise her skin and coat is much better when on the coconut oil.

The health food shop at Fyshwick markets has really good prices on many lines & stock several brands of coconut oil. :)

ETA At this time of year the coconut oil is solid, but my guys eat it straight out of the jar.

Edited by trifecta

Well Azure my anatolian loved it on her pigs ear this morning and I started it on the horses too today, I have bought a 1l bottle and if it works will get a 20l. It is rock solid so I just scraped some off, I also bought some other human coconut oil based products including the caramel spread

At this time of year the coconut oil is solid, but my guys eat it straight out of the jar.

Stand the jar in a basin of hot water. Doesn't take long to melt and causes it no damage.

I use it with my RR boy's diet. 275g over a space of 5 days. Good stuff :).

The health food shop at Fyshwick markets has really good prices on many lines & stock several brands of coconut oil. :)

ETA At this time of year the coconut oil is solid, but my guys eat it straight out of the jar.

Costco also has it for about half the price I've been paying in the health food shop! :cheer: