Longevity

Blackdogs

Genetics aside, what do you think is the single most important environmental factor affecting canine longevity?

I used to think it was nutrition, until I met several healthy aged dogs who were fed 'substandard' food.

What do you think?

Levels of stress. Nutrition.

(though i do think genetics will overpower most things in this regard)

Yeah, in the human population it seems to be the people who have a purpose, keep themselves busy, enjoy life and are content that live the longest. Stress levels would definitely play into this.

Having a dog diagnosed with a terminal illness and being told that dogs with his disease at that stage live on average 12-18 months, I can tell you sheer willpower on the humans behalf to keep them healthy and happy make a big difference.

I changed Ollie's diet, added holistic treatment, walked him every day (even if all he could manage was to get out of the car and sit at the park in the sun). He was a happy boy and I truly believe that caring for them and keeping them happy makes all the difference in the world.

Having a dog diagnosed with a terminal illness and being told that dogs with his disease at that stage live on average 12-18 months, I can tell you sheer willpower on the humans behalf to keep them healthy and happy make a big difference.

I changed Ollie's diet, added holistic treatment, walked him every day (even if all he could manage was to get out of the car and sit at the park in the sun). He was a happy boy and I truly believe that caring for them and keeping them happy makes all the difference in the world.

Certainly loving someone and being loved must have an impact.

It sounds like you loved Ollie a lot.

So to sum it up there is no single most important environmental factor to effect longevity in a dogs life, just treat with respect & love, feed them, wash them, cuddle them, play with them and fate will decide the rest :)

Some part has to be genetic as its a breed thing and the health of the parents and grandparents impact too, but I believe its about the immune system. Stress, chemicals and nutrition,exercise.

Setting genetics aside, regular exercise and weight management would be my picks. Plus, as sandgrubber said, good management and care to avoid accidental death, and also to catch health issues early.

Edited by Diva

I think it's a combination of genes and good husbandry.

You'd expect dogs from long lived breeds/parents to live longer. But keeping your dog fit and in good health and things like regular chiro also assist IMO.

hard to pick one, but my top three would be:

fulfilling life (social and mental needs met).

Being physically fit.

Having access to a place that they feel safe enough and comfortable enough to fully relax and go to sleep.

hard to pick one, but my top three would be:

fulfilling life (social and mental needs met).

Being physically fit.

Having access to a place that they feel safe enough and comfortable enough to fully relax and go to sleep.

Good list Raineth - and I add human grade unprocessed food. smile.gif

Levels of stress. Nutrition.

(though i do think genetics will overpower most things in this regard)

I know you said aside from genetics, Blackdogs, but I feel the same as Cosmolo. When you've been associated with rescue and seen some of the most comprised dogs you can imagine, you'd think it would have to be good genes pulling them back from the brink once they have access to medication, good food, safe and loving surroundings, etc.

I agree genetics is number 1. But it is interesting that some people mention diet and human grade food - I used to think so but like the OP I have known some very long lived healthy dogs who had been fed low quality diets their whole lives. Really, really crappy diets for some of them. But still lived well passed average age.

The only common denominator amongst them was very regular exercise, and not being allowed to get fat, which has become something I rate more highly as a result. I still feed a good diet of course, but I am not sure it is as important as exercise in helping them live longer? Not for the big dogs anyway.

Edited by Diva