Puppy Humping Soft Toy

smashtank

It's normal and not a problem if it only extends to his toy but I stomped on the behaviour with my dogs pretty quickly, mainly because some of my husbands friends have a 'maturity problem' :laugh:

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Naaww how small is the toy Nacho humps?? :laugh:

Interestingly, Chess used to hump her bed regularly when we lived in the suburbs but has only done it twice since we moved to acreage and she runs around 'helping' people all day. So pretty sure in that case it was just boredom/excess energy and we never worried about it.

My boy dog has never humped his toys or bedding. My old Labrador Bitch though, used to hump her bed all the time.I used to think it very strange and still don't really understand why the girls do it. :shrug:

Elsie went through a stage of humping one of her toys, and funnily enough her friend Hugo the Golden Retriever had humped the exact same type of toy as a puppy... So that toy is nicknamed "humpy"!

Phew - glad its semi normal! Was worried I had another behaviour to stamp out

Some people choose to let their pups hump toys/objects, whereas some choose to train them out of it. It's personal choice.

Personally I use anything like that as an opportunity for training, because by teaching a command to stop humping a toy means if they ever decide to move on to hump anything else you've already got a command to stop the behaviour and don't have to start training something when it's too late.

However, I unfortunately chose "off" as my stop humping word, and my girl only humps her brother (and usually only his head) so whenever i say "Max, Off" and anyone hears it, the typical response it "it looks like she's already getting off!" :rofl: So I suggest a different word :p

Edited by minimax

LOL!

I'm desperately trying to get Tank to learn No and Stop. If only to stop him chewing!

i got a bit pissed at him this morning - he kept biting my toes. Popped him in his pen for time out - not appreciated by him to say the least...

I've noticed Banjo has humped a couple of his toys - he seems to do it when he's really excited about playing .... so I am putting it down to that and as long as it doesn't become a real problem will probably let it go. Like Tank, he also loved biting my toes and feet - I crated him last night too, just to give my feet a rest!!!

My old boy liked to hump his blanket. He had a command to stop it, but we only used it when the timing was 'inappropriate', humping your blanket in front of Grandma is inappropriate lol. He also learnt he couldn't hump legs pretty quickly when that started.

He ended up making his own routine for his 'private time', 11pm every night if he was outside in his kennel, you could just hear the kennel start moving around laugh.gif.

Edited by LisaCC

Totally normal.

Our old Chi x had a turtle toy that he used to hump ALL THE TIME :laugh:

My Aussie humps my Anatolian when they play too.

They have never humped another dog or person so I don't worry about it, but if Tank starts doing it to people you may want to discourage it :laugh: