What Colour Do Your Dogs Eye's Shine At Night?

teekay

I have recently discovered that not all dog's eyes shine the same colour when a light is shone on them at a night. I was walking my three the other night and my son drove past in his car. When he got home later he told me that as he drove past he notice that Jenna and Mya's eyes shine a light blue colour but Luka's eyes shine red. I put this to the test whe they were down the bottom of the garden and it's true. Luka's eyes are scary red - looks like a dog possessed :laugh: but the other's are definitely light bluey, white.

I googled it and it seems that different dogs can have different colours reflected back at you at night. Even some breeds are known to have certain colours

Linky: http://canidaepetfood.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/why-do-my-dogs-eyes-glow-in-dark.html

What colour are your dog's eyes at night?

Willow's eyes are brown but shine blue at night. Riff Raff's are also brown, but lighter, and his shine yellow/orange kind of colour. It scared the beejeezus out of me the first time I saw it. I assumed they would all be the same colour too. :laugh:

Lili has one amber eye and one merled amber/blue eye and her eyes are orangey red at night, Mosley's however shine bright green, he scares us on a nightly basis running in from the back looking like a beast from hell :laugh:

I've wondered about this because I've seen a few photos of dogs where they have a red and a green eye! I call them traffic light eyes, but I dont know why they're different. I hope you get an answer.

Marlos eyes reflect a neon green colour.

my old dogs eyes went an Orange/red colour. Scared the life out of me the first time I shone a torch on him in the backyard at night. Thought it was some demon possum at first! Then realised it was just the dog. According to that list miniature schnauzers usually have a nice turquoise, that would have been much nicer than the devil red Charlie had!!

Edited by kima

I reckon a study should be done into this topic.

My belief is that dogs that see the full spectrum of colours will shine red, and those with colour-blindness (like red/green issues in people) will shine the more regular greeny-blue.

Could be tested on humans with colour blindness too...

T.

both my dogs eyes are naturally brown and they both shine bright green at night. my cocker has a problem with one of her eyes though, thanks to an accident at the groomers, and now the right eye doesn't shine as brightly at night.

Quinn has one brown eye and one blue eye, the brown one shines red and the blue one shines blue/white, it's cool :)

ETA - that's funny, I just read that article td posted and it says that blue eyes often shine red but Quinn's doesn't... although now I think about it her eye is actually merle/marbled and does have a small patch of brown, that's probably why.

Edited by Simply Grand