My Dam Resident

thanks everyone smile.gif

not sure how many there are, a few days ago one was in the front big dam and I tried for some photos but didn't have a lens long enough

and yesterday while I was out looking for birds I saw him in the smaller dam, reckon it is the same one though.

I love seeing them in the dam although some people don't as they say they mud up the water ....me I would rather have the platypus smile.gif

I got right near the edge and just stood there trying not to move much and he came right up to the edge and was looking about

but stupid darn camera kept focusing on the branch near where he came up, by the time it had focused on him he went back under

and I nearly threw the camera in the dam icon_smile_mad.gif..but didn't want to scare the platypus laugh.gif

anyway hope you have enjoyed the photos as i thought a lot might not have seen a platypus up close smile.gif

Edited by Frodo's mum

they're so cool, excellent shots. I wish they'd come to my dam, but I think it's too far away from rivers. Is it a family or a single platy? Is it timid of you?

we have a small river /creek but it's a few big paddocks away in another property

Rare find.

Very observant.

You must have a very clean dam.

They don't come too far down the city rivers because they like clean water and towns have too much pollution.

With any luck, he will nest with a mate.

Wow! How lucky are you :thumbsup: Great photos :D

was good he had gone into the smaller dam as i had a change to get close smile.gif

Terrific shots Frodo's mum, he looks to be a good size. Kirislin it does look like a spur on his back leg.

thanks marion 01, and yes that does look like a spur on his back leg

Rare find.

Very observant.

You must have a very clean dam.

They don't come too far down the city rivers because they like clean water and towns have too much pollution.

With any luck, he will nest with a mate.

we often have them swimming about last year when one of the dams went down I could see a big burrow in one of the walls

dams are clean in the sense we don't use any chemicals on the place, lots of rushes and reeds for them to swim in

I often think wouldn't it be unreal to see a little family swimming about smile.gif

how cool is that.

I don't even have a dam :confused::o would love one but really would need a bigger place

lucky here as have 3 so they can go from one to the other

might go and see if he is still in the small dam still

I think they live alone, but once I thought I saw 2 in the big dam

couldn't see him today in the small dam and had a quick check of the other 2

will check again tomorrow

just googled and found this .....

The platypus is a solitary creature and tends to live alone. It only lives in a family group while the mother raises the young. The male takes no part in this, and remains solitary, except for during the mating process. All feeding and swimming activities are undertaken alone.

Edited by Frodo's mum