Sick Brand New Puppy :(

grommit

Thanks guys - vet has advised that puppy is def anemic and they suspect either a bleed in the bowel, bowel infection or her little body is not replenishing her own red blood cells. Still waiting on more results though, Have spoken to the breeder she was really good - has offered to refund cost of puppy on it's return or to put money towards vet bills. We don't want to give her back if she can be healed at a resonable cost for all - prob we have now - where to draw the line???

I think this post posted here earlier seems to have been missed by some???

The OP HAS contacted the breeder.

The OP wants to keep the puppy.

The OP has come here for advice on the these issues and where to draw the line regarding the health of the puppy.

No the post wasn't missed. The breeder was contacted after the OP came here and it was suggested the breeder be contacted. So that aspect is good. Now we all cross our fingers the vets figure out what is wrong with the pup and that it is something minor and easily fixed and the pup is fine.

Edited by Rebanne

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys - vet has advised that puppy is def anemic and they suspect either a bleed in the bowel, bowel infection or her little body is not replenishing her own red blood cells. Still waiting on more results though, Have spoken to the breeder she was really good - has offered to refund cost of puppy on it's return or to put money towards vet bills. We don't want to give her back if she can be healed at a resonable cost for all - prob we have now - where to draw the line???

The first rule is always let the breeder know if there is a problem and if the puppy becomes ill in the first few days, return it if possible. That isn't possible here but the breeder has agreed to a refund or vet bills but do not expect them to pay more in vet bills that they would have for a refund. So where do you draw the line - at the purchase price of the puppy. If treatment and testing is going to cost more than that the outcome is not likely to be a good one. I have known of new buyers to spend $6000+ on a puppy worth less than $1000 and then have to have it pts anyway. This puppy could have anything from parvo to worms, if the wormer the breeder used was not effective. It could also have congenital liver problems or immune system problems. If she does have to be pts please confirm with the breeder if they are prepared to pay for an autopsy as finding out what went wrong is vital to breeders. Hopefully it won't come to that and he will recover but be prepared for all outcomes.

Edited by dancinbcs

Grommit

What would you do to the puppy if she was returned to you - would you fix her up or PTS?? I understand where you are coming from but it's hard to seperate emotions- what if she is healed with no more probs?? Our older staffy has had an infection in the same area years ago and she is fine and still kicking.

I would keep and treat her - and refund the price. If it was a very serious issue, treatment would continue until my vet advised me otherwise. But your breeder might do other wise.

Trouble is we get emotionally involved with a pup with issues, and it is often very expensive to continue with treatment. You should have an answer on your pup's problem very soon - either something quite simple such as a foreign object or worms etc or a very expensive problem.

You sound as if you are keen to keep her, which is fine .... difficult to do otherwise when it is your cute little puppy.

Whatever you do, good luck and I wish you success. :)

My first thought about your puppys condition was worms. I know I was very diligent with the worming of Pennys puppies but there was still one who had them.

I suppose you'd need to know what is actually wrong with the puppy. It would be pointless getting another pup from the same breeder if there's a chance it could have the same condition. It would also be a difficult decision to knowingly fly a sick puppy back to the breeder if there was a chance it would die in transit or shortly after from the stress.

I'm sorry the joy and excitement of getting your new puppy has turned out this way and I hope the pup can recover to lead a normal healthy life.

Edited by Kirislin