Prefix Ideas

ZharaBelle

Evening all so hubby and I have been racking our brains for the last few months trying to think of some great prefix ideas for our future kennel. The dogs in question are dogue de bordeauxs and I never thought it would be this hard, I have 2 that I would be happy with but obviously need more to lodge our forms. It was easier to name our son;-) So any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

What about your user name ZharaBelle it sounds lovely. Otherwise what about a french theme ?

Google for french names, surnames or even towns, lakes, rivers etc for ideas.

Edited by Christina

If you have 2 you are happy with, send them in and try them. They will only say no and knock them back. I did it with mine, with only the one and got it. It all just depends what is out there already.

Play with google translator. Put in words you think of when thinking of the breed or your dogs and pick some languages to translate those words to.

I got majority of my list doing that. I wanted to use celtic or gaelic names. Most of the town names that i thought sounded good were already taken. In the end my prefix list included things like versatile, agile, stealth etc but all in other languages.

Think about what you stand for. Think about what you want your prefix to give an impression of - is there some particular aspect of your breed that you value above all others? Is there something you want to be known for? Then pick up a Thesaurus (or google one) and devise a few choices from that.

This is particularly helpful to us on DOL if you choose your prefix that way.

(Apologies to any ethical SBT breeders who have included "Blue" or 'blu' in their prefix.... monkeys.gif)

I had a list of 10 then I sent in. I was really hoping for my first choice - Dalluxe (a play on my breed, surname (Luxford) and the word deluxe) but didn't get it. I was a bit bummed as I thought it was awesome lol :laugh:

Ended up with Dotdashdot which is ok...it's growing on me, I put it in there to make up my 10. Sorta hoped it was a significant letter in morse code (eg, like my initial or something). But it's R which has no significance at all.

I didn't get ANY of my original ten. :cry:

So I decided I'd go for something to do with the breed's original function. As Whippets were bred to course hares I went for Haredown.

Then when I got it Espinay (I think) said, "good that you got part of your surname in there". :doh: Hadn't even occurred to me!

I had a list of 10 then I sent in. I was really hoping for my first choice - Dalluxe (a play on my breed, surname (Luxford) and the word deluxe) but didn't get it. I was a bit bummed as I thought it was awesome lol :laugh:

Ended up with Dotdashdot which is ok...it's growing on me, I put it in there to make up my 10. Sorta hoped it was a significant letter in morse code (eg, like my initial or something). But it's R which has no significance at all.

Oh I thought your name came from the song slash dot dash dot by fat boy slim.

--Lhok

I got my second choice. The first one I put in I put it in by itself, so I wouldn't get one I didn't really like, took me a few months to think of a new one when that got rejected. When I did I put that in by itself again and I got it :)

I really like more now it's mine, I chose Sayreovi :D

I really don't understand that if it's not offensive or too close to someone elses what the issue is, from the sounds of it it's too choosy. If they don't accept my couple of choices there might be some stern phone calls :laugh:

I know a few people that have had to submit multiple times, as in a total of 20 or 3 names. I struggled to fill the list on my application (and luckily got my first preference) so I have no idea what I would have done if I had to keep sending more in.

Nekhbet - i think there are a few rules about what can/can't be approved and includes similarity to overseas prefixes as well. Sometimes though I think it has a lot to do with the person looking at the list.

Mine is Trisven and is simply a mix of my name and my husband's. About 8 years ago we set it up as an ID on Ebay, before we ever got into dog showing or even joined DOL. It was an obvious first choice and, thankfully, we got it. :thumbsup: