Widget: From Big Belly To Babies!

Kirislin

My cheeky Secret figured out something today that some of my other dogs never have! How to crack open a hens egg. :laugh: Little devil, I'd caught her a couple of times running out of the chook house with an egg in her mouth and she dropped it when she saw me but today she obviously had time to figure it out and get the yummy gold stuff inside.

She was pretty pleased with herself too.

They are so dark like little black ink blots <3 <3 <3 with perfect fashion!!

Were there many people? I ended up in city all day then tradie supervising but thinking we are still not ready yet. Getting close to ready though, so close!

There wasn't as many as some days but it was quite chilly and rain had been forecast in the morning. We only got about 5 minutes of light rain in the afternoon, not even enough to stop for it. Probably about 20 cars and 30 or so dogs at a guess. We went till late though, it was a keen crowd.

Thanks Kirislin! One day, I really want to. The photos always look so happy and carefree!

they're not always. We sometimes have to call a halt to the free running which we allow at the start and end of the day. it's not so bad at the end of the day because the dogs are tired, but at the beginning it can be a bit heart stopping if dogs get too fast and too excited. If you ever do come along I'd advise you to keep Thistle on the leash then. :D

I'll most certainly! Won't want her big boofhead squashing the littles.

Have you seen pet stores recently? Knitted Halloween outfits coming in. I've seen dinosaurs and crocodiles. Secret would look perfect in them! ;)

[/quote]

I might have to go and have a look. I could dress her up as a dinosaur so she could terrorise the chickens. :laugh:

the babies in their winter woollies at the whippet fun day last weekend. See their cute little hand made collars?

29713910485_7525706ff9_c.jpg5F6A8920dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Secret's brother Obi still getting the hang of chasing the lure

29632676361_9db5092866_c.jpg5F6A8982dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Using his tail as a rudder

29602843942_e18aacd6bc_c.jpg5F6A8989dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Edited by Kirislin

• 2 weeks later...

this is why you dont see many photos of her at the moment. Honestly, it's like trying to photograph a blow fly on the move.

There one second

29912198795_c566a4756c_c.jpg5F6A9060dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Gone the next

29285786993_7477a7e39f_c.jpg5F6A9061dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

I so wish I'd got her in frame and in focus, but it's near to impossible. At least these give you an idea of her character though

29828715041_5ac2914a8b_c.jpg5F6A9062dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Can you tell me about iggies please? What were they bred for originally (given their ability to become airborne in a nano second)? Their ability to turn quickly and take off at speed is quite cool to see in pics and I'm assuming their small size was also important for their original purpose?

Can you tell me about iggies please? What were they bred for originally (given their ability to become airborne in a nano second)? Their ability to turn quickly and take off at speed is quite cool to see in pics and I'm assuming their small size was also important for their original purpose?

Well they are a sighthound so I suppose somewhere sometime they were expected to hunt, but due to their size it was probably mice and rats and other small vermin, some might tackle bunnies but they would find it hard to make a quick kill. That's my guess. They were also simply lap dogs, required to look elegant, but I would think they also served as hot water bottles in bed because their little bodies are very warm. You will sometimes see them in Renaissance paintings sitting on laps of ladies in satin lacy dresses, they've been around as a recognised breed a lot longer than whippets although my belief is that once upon a time they were basically one and the same as there was quite a range in size and appearance of IGs. Others would probably dispute that so I stress it's just what I think.

I would actually like it if my 2 had a stronger prey drive. Living in the country I get a lot of mice coming into this house. My good mouser has died and I really miss her. These ones dont have that natural urge to sniff out a mouse in the house like Kibah (whippet) did.

In my experience, the bigger they get, the more placid the dog, so IGs are really hyper, whippets less so and greyhounds need to be poked with a stick to get them going. :laugh: (kidding)

even in recent times they were in the families of Royalty. This is Princess Mary, doesn't she look like Princess Margaret.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/4e/42/92/4e42925008aa72b0fd125c24cc467eee.jpg

Edited by Kirislin

I found this was a fairly accurate general description of them.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/italiangreyhounds.html

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing like the feel of warm dog vomit on your leg in bed. This is another difference I've found between whippets and Italian greyhounds, whippets, well, my ones at least, will do their best to get outside if they're feeling sick. Neko just goes BLERK! without any warning and then expects me to pet her up cause she's got a yucky sicky taste in her mouth.