Unique Short Names

I am soon to get my first Aussie Shepherd baby hopefully, a girl. :thumbsup:

I will be doing sports with her and in the past ive found that short, sharp names are good for dogs that are doing agility etc.

Can you please throw some short, unique name ideas at me please!

Female, short and unique!

Thankyou! :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal choice would be Aura but I like Onyx as well. Also don't mind Shay but its a bit close to stay!

Eden

Aqua

Zip

Nora

'Ova' might work for agility lol!

Edited by skyefool

Atticus my pup gets Atti when working. He now will respond to both names! Plus I am really enjoying being able to accentuate Atticus as I'm running around. Daisy dets lots of Daze but her name is harder to stretch out.

Atticus my pup gets Atti when working. He now will respond to both names! Plus I am really enjoying being able to accentuate Atticus as I'm running around. Daisy dets lots of Daze but her name is harder to stretch out.

I find daisy easy to stretch out by changing it to "BEAGLE!" Lol :)

Guest Clover

Just don't jinx the pup by go with a speed related name, I have known so many dogs that have turned out the be the slowest unmotivated dogs around with names like Dash, rocket etc :laugh:.

Just don't jinx the pup by go with a speed related name, I have known so many dogs that have turned out the be the slowest unmotivated dogs around with names like Dash, rocket etc :laugh:.

Turtle!

If you want to do agility it's great to have a snappy name that you can vary....for example when the dog has committed to the tunnel I will a) say nothing if the next obstacle is directly in front; b) call "Ziggy" or "Emmy" brightly if the next obstacle is up to a 90 degree angle or c) call "Zig! Zig! Zig!" if the obstacle is at 90-180 degrees. Before the dog has exited the tunnel they know which side you are on AND how hard they need to turn to catch up with you. I rarely say their name on course to save diluting the response....I aim to run with as little talking as possible actually :D

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Guest Clover

Turtle!

Slug :laugh:.

Erik's name gets shortened to "E" when I need him to respond now. I can really snap that one out so it starts sounding like a call to attention more than a name. Super fast and cuts through the background stimuli. I can't really do that with Kivi's name so much. I would be looking for sharp sounds in the name and avoiding soft sounds. Trixie might be common, but it's got some nice, sharp sounds. :) So does Flick and Snap for that matter. Trip, Cricket, that sort of thing.

I've been thinking lately how fun it would be if I had a dog named Mortal. I could boom across the dog park "MORTAL! COME HITHER!" Of course, this is only cool if the dog is obedient. ;)

My girl's name is Lottie Matilda. She gets Lottie or Lot or Miss Matilda. Sometimes I call her Bub. Lot and Bub are good for calling from a distance. At the dog park if she is after a ball and I call Lot she turns instantly. You can also say Lo-oo-ot if you want. You could call you baby Charlotte and go from there.

Agree with what TSD said. It's good to have a name you can shorten to one syllable when necessary. And hard consonants are good to have in a name. My feral agility girl is Kirra - her 'pay attention right now' version on course is "Kizz" ... of sometimes, "Kizz, Kizz, Kizz" - which usually indicates I was way late in cueing her . Around home she also gets Whizz, and variants of that.

My boy is Rory, and his on course pay attention version is "Rorz" (or "Roarz" - it's a saying name, rather than a written name) - again, repeated quickly if necessary.

Turtle!

Slug :laugh:.

I called my Pug Buzz - great name and I would have thought a very suitable name for a Pug.... but my boy is one of the most laid back Pugs you could imagine. :laugh: