Fence Jumper And Scaler

animal ark 22

Our newly rescued dog came with issues we have dealt with them but one is causing us hell.

He can jump 6ft high fences so we raised them to 8ft both the colour bond and fence pailing side.

It worked till

he found away under the house and over another side

We fixed that and all was great

TILL

we found him in the front yard stumped as to how we set up the video camera

He can scale 8ft fences and is like a rock climber

So now what to do? it seems he is constantly checking for weak spots trying different ways .We have worked with him and made him a lovely happy dog .

We sought professional advice and were told if he is doing it for fun then it would be near impossible to stop him.

OTHER FACTS ........

He is desexed ,no we don"t own him he was rescued to be rehomed , He has scarring which at first thought was dog attacking injuries now we suspect they were his constant escaping.

We have a large grassy yard he has all the comforts you would expect and walked everyday .

When we are in the yard he is fine .He jumps to go wondering not just to find us

We have been advised an electric fence would be a no no as it may react to his aggressive side .We have moved everything away from the fence ...

We live in a quiet col de suc street so not much going on around :)

Ive never had a fence jumper

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is he only escaping when you're out (ie if you're in the house and he's in the yard, does he get out)? If so, I'd build a secure dog run (assuming he isn't going to be relegated to it for 12+ hours a day).

I had this installed for my fence jumper: http://www.hiddenfence.com.au/

We have been advised an electric fence would be a no no as it may react to his aggressive side

:confused: That's baloney! Plenty of people contain dogs, which can be aggressive, using electric fencing. Me being one of them and knowing of plenty of others. If anything, it contains a dog so it can't get out and be aggressive to others!

A roofed, concrete floored run is the only sure bet.

Fence jumping is a highly self rewarding habit that's damned hard to break for that reason. I'm sorry you're finding that out the hard way. :(

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I had this installed for my fence jumper: http://www.hiddenfence.com.au/

We have been advised an electric fence would be a no no as it may react to his aggressive side

:confused: That's baloney! Plenty of people contain dogs, which can be aggressive, using electric fencing. Me being one of them and knowing of plenty of others. If anything, it contains a dog so it can't get out and be aggressive to others!

This.

If you just stick the collar on and let the dog go for it then sure, it may have some adverse affects. But there is usually a 10-day training period with these fences that teach the dog why they're getting a zap and how to avoid it.

It's also baloney that you can't use it on dogs with separation anxiety either. The owners of one of my foster dogs had big big issues with her jumping the fence which started after a big thunderstorm. She would jump and injure herself. Got a hidden fence installed, did the training, and not only is she now contained but her anxiety-related behaviours have diminished greatly because she does not have the ability to work herself up and practice them all the time.

Am I reading this right?

You are fostering a dog who is a fence jumper & has aggression issues.

I don't know for whom you foster, but someone needs to realise this dog may not ever be a candidate for rehoming. Fence jumpers are heartbreakers, you will be looking for an extra special home for this dog, & if it has aggression issues then the problem is compounded. The rescue organisation should help you with costs & help implement methods to keep this dog contained, particularly in view of the fact your own dog was beaten to death in its own backyard a couple of weeks ago.

Link

I would have thought considering what has happened, this dog would be the worst candidate for you to take on as a foster. Your dog(s) must have got someone in the neighbourhood off side at some time. If this dog is liable to escape it may be all the provocation the attacker needs to be a repeat offender :(

I picked this dog and offered to help him after repeated visits To see him at the pound so Its on my back I am and have been seeking all the help I can and the rescue has been great along with a dog behavourist etc

Sadly many of his issues didn"t present themselves till he had settled in .We had thought about what was best for him and while copping both sides for and against we tried even more to help him. He did show great improvement and signs of going futher which kept us going but in the back of my mind I had the gut feelings .

My own dog was killed BEFORE this one arrived .Ive been exusting all methods just in case and so I can be sure I did all I could I guess in the end it was always a risk and one many before me and after me will take .

However when you"re also told peacefully ending his life is something I shouldn"t do and being bullied for even considering it it becomes an emotional roller coaster .While Im in no way well off I did pay all vet costs as I said I would because I believe it was my cost to bare ......

I too was worried about the what ifs with him out the yard thankfully someone had been home each time and he didn"t get futher than across the road however I don"t believe it makes it any better .I also am thankful for the advice as it has given me even more to go by .

Hmmm..it is always a hard decision , to gently end a life .

My view is always one of the fact we have power to take away the anxiety, the aggression , the worry . We can ensure the animal does not fall into the wrong hands and suffer more , and we can ensure that owners/carers are safe and not having concerns over severe behaviour/health problems.

You have done a lot for this boy , and I can understand your anxiety now ... I wish you all the best .

I have a fence jumper, she amazed us at being able to jump a 10 foot colourbond fence, the only thing that stops her is a roof.

We now have a 5 metre x 20 metre yard for her with a shade cloth roof which has stopped her for the last 18 months. I didn't want to chain her up and this still allows her the freedom to play in a yard.

We were lucky she has no idea about digging so she has grass in her yard.

We considered having her PTS but with a lot of work and Prozac she has become manageable.

Fence jumpers are not a dog I would ever consider rehomable, especially if there are aggression issues.

A fence scaler will continue to endeavour scaling any height until he injures himself. Upping the height is only upping the anti and setting a more challenging task for him to give a whirl. In affect, you are (though not intentionally) training him to scale higher fences as the act is self rewarding. It will only stop him when he does damage to himself. He will not simply decide that it is too high and stop trying.

He must have a roofed enclosure to secure him safely.

He sounds like too much work for the average home looking to adopt a pleasurable pet. Very sad situation. Best wishes.

I picked this dog and offered to help him after repeated visits To see him at the pound so Its on my back I am and have been seeking all the help I can and the rescue has been great along with a dog behavourist etc

Sadly many of his issues didn"t present themselves till he had settled in .We had thought about what was best for him and while copping both sides for and against we tried even more to help him. He did show great improvement and signs of going futher which kept us going but in the back of my mind I had the gut feelings .

My own dog was killed BEFORE this one arrived .Ive been exusting all methods just in case and so I can be sure I did all I could I guess in the end it was always a risk and one many before me and after me will take .

However when you"re also told peacefully ending his life is something I shouldn"t do and being bullied for even considering it it becomes an emotional roller coaster .While Im in no way well off I did pay all vet costs as I said I would because I believe it was my cost to bare ......

I too was worried about the what ifs with him out the yard thankfully someone had been home each time and he didn"t get futher than across the road however I don"t believe it makes it any better .I also am thankful for the advice as it has given me even more to go by .

I missed that the dog is a foster. In that case, an escape artist with aggression issues.... you really have to consider if this dog is rehomable and if it is safe to do so. I don't envy your position, good luck.

I am going to be blunt and say an agressive fence jumper is not a suitbale dog to be rehomed. Maybe have a read in the news section about the dog that jumped the fence and attacked a kid and then the father who was trying to save his son.