Reoccuring Bloat

Hi Everyone... im desperately searching for a clue or someone else who has experienced this...

My 3.5 year old Newfy has reoccurring bloat she has the vets stumped.

History

She filled with gas around September last year but was not uncomfortable at all and just burped it out.. she was then fine until she came into season in January and started doing it every few days and again burping it out.

We decided to do gastroplexy about March and while in there found a plastic sherbet container which could only have been in there since Christmas... but thinking great we found the problem... unfortunately not... again she was bloating every few days.

About a month later she had what I call true bloat we had to release the gas via needle to her stomach and she stayed at the vet 2 days and came home... we made the decision to spey her and do a bit more of an exploratory surgery.

We found a bit of scarring in the intestines which is probably not helping but I don't think its the cause I think its more of a result of the constant bloating.

We have tried all the methods of reducing the risk as well as several medications, natural therapies, foods and routines but unfortunately nothing is helping.

She now bloats every day for most of the day still burps or farts it out but I fear there is only so long she will be able to do this for. She has learnt if she relaxes and goes to sleep the gas will release which is good I just wish I could figure out what is causing it or someway of helping.

We have spoken about going in to remove the scar tissue but I really don't like the idea of another surgery especially as there are no guarantees it will work.

Thanks everyone

Sam

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shes been on hills ID but im in the process of slowly changing her over to Blackhawk (soaked)... considering trying just chicken mince and vegies but as I say I have tried so many different foods I honestly don't think it is the food. She does get uncomfortable but not like with true bloat... she will go outside and have a poo or just lie down and it releases.

So what has changed since Sept??

I gather it wasn't an issue prior to that ??

My first thought would be an IBS or some food issue that is setting her off each day .

I can't drink full milk & would suffer similar style symptoms can drink low fat no issues .

I would seriously by doing a food diary of everything she gets including any treats ,

D you feed once or twice??

We stopped feeding BH as it was no longer agreeing with our dogs .

Have you asked the breeder??

You could try giving a gas eaze although i would ask your vet .

We keep it on hand incase of bloat whilst travelling never had to use it

Poor girl, I hope you get to the source of the problem.

Corn in foods can really build up gas in some dogs, I notice the Hills I/D has corn as the first ingredient, but I don't think Blackhawk does. I know you mentioned that you don't think it is food related but it might be worth looking into the foods you have previously tried and whether they contain corn as most do?

Thanks everyone... its very frustrating.. I have tried most of your ideas... I am going to give home made food a try again though. She isn't a gulper she eats very slowly she is on 4 small meals a day and we have worked our way up to that it doesn't seem to be food related though as she gets fed 4:30 in the morning she copes ok with that then again at 7:30 and again at 11 then she gasses up and releases all day until around 9:30pm depending on how badly she will get another feed at about 4:30 ive tried all different variations on this and different foods from plain chicken alone to premium holistic food and nothing has changed... she doesn't get anything other than the food she is on.

Tried it ... the reason I do it that way is she copes better with food in the morning... if she eats later she bloats badly and then I obviously cant feed her again while she is bloating. only a month ago she could have thew first 2 meals without any gas but now its only the first one.... I have to get food into her when I can as she went from 51kg in January to 38 only a month or so ago so I have to take the opportunity when I can. She has finally started putting weight back on enough that I can play around a bit more with her food

yes.... even if I stop feeding at 11 she will still bloat all afternoon and night until about 9:30 long after her stomach is emty... she isn't running around either she is very quiet.

Edited by Newfymum

I guess I was just thinking along the lines of working out whether it is activity based(she gets up for the day and moving around, etc sets it off) or whether it is food based(she eats and then the bloat starts. If it's the former then as you say the food isn't the issue but if it's the latter then it's worth continuing to experiment with food options.