Which Breed Is For Me?

tropics.1491

Hi guys,

To make a long story short, I really like hound breeds. I once owned a Dane x Staghound (not purebred, I know) and absolutely loved her build and personality. I'm pretty keen on Pharaoh Hounds, Greyhounds and Great Danes (Not a hound, I know) because I love their figures, size and general kindness. Though I've done A LOT of 'What dog breed is for you?' questionnaires and have always had Boston Terriers in my results. At present, I live in a unit with courtyard and probably couldn't get a Boston without some sort of difficulty as they're not at all common in my area or state for that matter (Australia). I'm hoping to move to a house, or at least a duplex with some sort of yard, therefore allowing me to choose a greater range of dog breeds. I've read that hounds need a good sprint in the park or a walk and then they're just as happy snoozing nearly all day. That suits me to a T. [N.B. I WILL take the dog for a walk daily, or if not on that day, the next day to the park or beach for a run around]. I also love the Boston Terrier. I prefer larger breeds, but from the research I've done, they sound like awesome dogs and a dog breed that would suit me. I'm not a very active person, my knees don't generally allow me to run. Walking is fine. I also imagine my dog sitting on the couch with me or at my feet whilst I watch TV. (I had a Staffy once and she always gave me "the look" when I sat down to watch tv or go on the laptop when I got home from work. Made me feel so guilty). Training ability would be a HUGE bonus. I enjoy training dogs and being able to train one that is slightly more inclined to want to learn/eager to please would be cool.

Thanks everyone! Hope to hear back soon.

My understanding is that Bostons are very, very active with heaps of personality. If you want a dog that has a short walk then snoozes a Boston isn't for you - I think a greyhound would be perfect through.

If you don't mind a big lap dog that is happy to just go with the flow I think greyhounds are fabulous. I love danes but I find their relatively short life span a bit hard to get past so I went with large breeds but steered clear of giant(just my personal choice but might not be something you've considered...). Boston terriers are fantastic little dogs too and busy little bodies so would probably enjoy getting in to training with you, they'd make such a cute little agility or flyball dog LOL

Some things just don't get considered in those questionnaires. Bostons are a brachycepalic breed and I don't think that in QLD's climate you could get much agility or flyball done with them. I would be happy to be proved wrong, though. Although a very smart breed, I wouldn't call them bidddable - training them is a bit like training a cat - not impossible, but needs different methods!!

Greyhounds need their own couch, so the scenario would probably be: hound on the couch and you and the floor watching TV. laugh.gifIn a unit you really do need to consider how much space a resting dog will take up.

I agree that greyhounds are delightful couch potatoes but I think you may be tripping over a large dog in a unit. Have you considered a Whippet? That breed strikes me as a unit sized sight hound and probably about the same biddability (new word laugh.gif) level as the large sighthounds - i.e. a training challenge!!!

Thank you for your replies :) I should've added that I have a 6 mo cat. What are greyhounds like to raise around cats? Are they also dogs that would get into training? If I raise a greyhound, does that lift the restrictions on having them wear a muzzle in public? Are they diggers? So many questions... What are they like to raise? I've never raised my own pup. I've tried an adopted teenager, and young adult, and looking after other people's adult dogs.

What about Pharaoh Hounds? There are some breeders of these here in QLD, Australia.

Boston's are so cute. There's a lot of different opinions about them RE: energy levels, living requirements, separation anxiety etc.

Sighthounds are more problematic when there are other small fluffies involved. Choosing a pup from the start and early training could help but I could only imagine that as in many breeds for some dogs those inbuilt instincts are hard to turn away from. (for eg. We pretty much trained my basset out of becoming the problem barker her breed is renowned as but I suspect there is some degree of choosing a quiet puppy as opposed to the noisiest one in the litter if you know what i mean)

Sighthounds are more problematic when there are other small fluffies involved. Choosing a pup from the start and early training could help but I could only imagine that as in many breeds for some dogs those inbuilt instincts are hard to turn away from. (for eg. We pretty much trained my basset out of becoming the problem barker her breed is renowned as but I suspect there is some degree of choosing a quiet puppy as opposed to the noisiest one in the litter if you know what i mean)

Yes, I've read about this happening too :/ I know what you mean about choosing the quiet one. But the quiet ones can be deceiving too! As they grow, some become louder, higher energy dogs. Pot luck I guess...

Any other ideas? :)

I want my own puppy so bad. Ever since I was little. Now 22, I'm still searching and failing :/

Also, this would be a pet puppy, not an agility, hunting or anything of the such dog, no matter the breed (unless I do end up with a sighthound and my partner gets the enormous urge to hunt rabbits and takes my dog THEN it would be used for hunting). I'm looking for a companion.

Have you considered a Basenji? They are sight and scent hounds. I used to live next to one and the household also included several cats. There are a few groups on Facebook for Basenji owners throughout Qld so there is a support base for them here as well.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/information/basenji.asp

I have. Most pages say they need a strong, dominant owner and that they need a lot of exercise to mentally stimulate them. :confused:

Boston's are usually great with other animals. If you can find a good Boston, I'd say go Boston. If you don't own your place and are likely to be changing residence a few times in the next 10 to 15 years, you're much better off with a smaller dog.

BUT do be careful. Boston's have a lot of health problems. Do your research and ask a lot of questions.

Our Greyhounds where the only breed we have owned that i would trust around cats.

Sighthound doesn't equate to chasing every fluffy around ,they simply don't.

No breed is cat safe & not all cats are dog friendly ,so it works both ways there i have meet some of the nastiest cats around .

So my question would be is your cat an indoor cat only ?? (ie no access outside)

Well said Showdog. And sighthoundGazer, I say pfft to the what breed is for me things. Last one of those I did I got Malamute... :eek: Lovely dogs, but not for me.

I would also prefer a greyhound in an apartment to a whippet.

If you want a large sighthound in a small space, normally I would recommend an adult rather than a pup. This is because they often develop better as youngsters with access to free running. Walking on-lead just doesn't have the same effect really, as running and turning and building strength that supports those big joints and bones as they grow.

Go with your heart, not with the preconceived notions of others. :)

Our Greyhounds where the only breed we have owned that i would trust around cats.

Sighthound doesn't equate to chasing every fluffy around ,they simply don't.

No breed is cat safe & not all cats are dog friendly ,so it works both ways there i have meet some of the nastiest cats around .

So my question would be is your cat an indoor cat only ?? (ie no access outside)

My cat is an indoor cat. But I'm thinking I'll have to change that sometime as she runs up flyscreens quite a lot. I think she needs to run up a tree once in a while... She's not shy, and I've had her around a teenage dog. She didn't run, but was cautious while he sniffed her and she sniffed him.

sandgrubber

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

Boston's are usually great with other animals. If you can find a good Boston, I'd say go Boston. If you don't own your place and are likely to be changing residence a few times in the next 10 to 15 years, you're much better off with a smaller dog.

BUT do be careful. Boston's have a lot of health problems. Do your research and ask a lot of questions.

Yes, I'd be looking for breeders who check for health issues before breeding.

I'm hoping to have my own place in less than 10-15 years that's for sure. I'm well and truly over the renting scene, it's just the job availabilities at the moment that keep me there.

Just to be clear, I don't have a 'preconceived notion' of greyhounds, I have actually been a greyhound owner in the past. Our GAP assessed 'cat safe' greyhound randomly put holes in our cat one day and in the end had to be rehomed back through GAP :( She was a fantastic dog in every other way, I absolutely adored her so was very sad it didn't work out and I wasn't prepared to risk another.

as a greyhound breeder I wouldn't sell you a puppy. Pups need a place to run and develop properly and a courtyard doesn't provide it. But an adult greyhound would suit. I would recommend one from GAP that has been properly assessed for your circumstances. My greyhounds are fine with cats as were the GAP fosters I have had through my house.

Edited by Rebanne

we inherited a couple on Miniture Pinschers from my grandparents when I was a kid ... not sure how active they are when young as we got them when they were quite old but they seemed happy just snuffling around the garden at that age. "Fred" was probably the most neurotic dog I have ever met ... and got grumpier and grumpier as he got older. Of course, he did survive a brown snake bite and I think that may have sent him even loopier, poor boy.