What's The Most Frustrating Statement Someone Has Made To You Late

kelpiecuddles

We did eventually put the dogs in the car after the sun went down. It was a small house and the owners wanted the dogs outside so we didn't have many options. I did my best to monitor the situation but most people were aware of Sarah's past so it was a bit annoying that no-one else thought to intervene when I was otherwise occupied.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We did eventually put the dogs in the car after the sun went down. It was a small house and the owners wanted the dogs outside so we didn't have many options. I did my best to monitor the situation but most people were aware of Sarah's past so it was a bit annoying that no-one else thought to intervene when I was otherwise occupied.

I end up with my dog on my lap in those situations, in fact Bonny usually takes a flying leap at me with a child in pursuit, its amazing how high she can leap. I'm not sure how big Sarah is, having her on your knee or on the OH's knee may not be possible. Little kids just don't understand that a dog isn't a fluffy toy and their fascination can get them in trouble. When I go anywhere with my dog, the sight of a 2 year olds eyes lighting up makes me nervous. :eek: My OH is hopeless at keeping an eye on Bonny too.

Someone at the dog park yesterday asked me if i knew what breed of dog that is *she pointed to a(n adorable!) staffy pup*

I said "yes, thats a staffordshire bull terrier, a staffy."

They said " Oh, aren't they the ones that eat babies?"

So I said "No that's dingoes." And left her to her musings about baby eating dogs.

Some people are strange :)

And not in a good way!

On the topic of frustrating dog park events... this morning there was a dog "trainer" (I use the term loosely...) in my local off leash dog park with a client. A dog in a halti, they were parading it around encouraging it to "hi say" to all the doggies, then yanking on its head it if showed too much interest or took a step towards the dogs they were making it interact with, or heaven forbid it wagged its tail and tried to play. The "trainer" then grabbed its head and shoved it down into a water bowl to make it drink, and when it tried to take a step away she shoved it with her leg to put it back.

Luckily she had her business logo on her shirt so I now know to advise people where not to go for help with their dogs.

I didn't stay around long, I grabbed my dogs and moved away as she kept calling them over to try and say hi to her dog :(

That happened to me recently too.. But it wasn't a trainer. It was just a man and his young BC who refused to come to him.

When he did finally go to him he yelled at him and pushed him to the ground while yelling "NO JUMPING!"

No wonder the dog didn't want to come..

I couldn't stay there and watch that, so I had to leave.

• 2 weeks later...

Referring to my 43kg 5month old Saint puppy:

"Holy crap did you know he was going to get so big?"

No actually, I had no idea. I thought I was buying a Pomeranian and now I am so very very disappointed :(

:laugh: Really and truly lol

I haven't had any comments. Just one mother a couple of weeks ago at the waiting room in the vet. Her son was eyeing off my precious Dobe and I could tell he wanted to come pat her. She was sitting quietly by my side (wonders never cease!) and the mum took one look at her and dragged the kid as far away as possible.

A new co worker was recently telling me about her dog. He is a staffy and has cost her thousands in vet fees because of allergies and bad knee joints. She tells me she is "never buying a purebred dog every again!, crossbreeds are so much more healthier" When asked about where she got her dog? "From Gumtree, his mum was a staffy, they didn't know what his dad was..." :banghead:

Edited by cannibalgoldfish

A new co worker was recently telling me about her dog. He is a staffy and has cost her thousands in vet fees because of allergies and bad knee joints. She tells me she is "never buying a purebred dog every again!, crossbreeds are so much more healthier" When asked about where she got her dog? "From Gumtree, his mum was a staffy, they didn't know what his dad was..." :banghead:

Just a question for the older and wiser heads on the forum: is the above the new definition of purebred? If so, I need to adjust my ideas. :confused:

Seeing my three Whippets at my kennels, then a Greyhound who was visiting........oh is that the mum of those dogs?????? Um no they are different breeds, these two (Whippets) are adults. Oh well they look the same to me!

Interestingly I had told them only 10 minutes prior that the 15 week old was the baby of the two adults...................

Just a question for the older and wiser heads on the forum: is the above the new definition of purebred? If so, I need to adjust my ideas.

In the same conversation, the same co worker went to add how several of her friends have labradoodles and the ones she met were all freaky and psycho... Which apparently was because they were "pure breds"......

Just a question for the older and wiser heads on the forum: is the above the new definition of purebred? If so, I need to adjust my ideas. :confused:

Just a question for the older and wiser heads on the forum: is the above the new definition of purebred? If so, I need to adjust my ideas.

In the same conversation, the same co worker went to add how several of her friends have labradoodles and the ones she met were all freaky and psycho... Which apparently was because they were "pure breds"......

I have a friend who comes up with the same. Her aunty waited for months for a PB spoodle. I explained she waited months for nothing and she said 'but it has papers?' and genuinely believed that they were a legitimate breed and reg. breeders bred Spoodles.

Perhaps not entirely her fault, I can see where one would get the idea.

Edited by Steph M

So this isnt actually something someone said but rather something someone did, it was really annoying but not worth starting a thread for so thought I'd add to this one...

I was at the dog park just before with my 3, there was another lady there with her young Irish Setter (who is gorgeous btw :D ) and a couple with their dog, let's call it a BC............(coz it is).

All fine until the girl with the BC decides it's time to leave. They were calling the dog trying to get her to come but she was off doing something else so she ignored them. So the girl's solution was for them to go over to the gates as if to leave (it's that double gate set up I assume most dog parks have, where you close one before you open the next so no one escapes), she opened the inside gate, dog ignored them, so she yelled at the guy to open the outside gate as well. (He didn't want to leave both open so she threw a ball at him...nice huh). Then they both came back into the park to catch their dog coz she was still ignoring them, LEAVING BOTH GATES WIDE OPEN leading straight out to carpark which is open to the busy road maybe 60m away!

Fortunately my and the other lady's dogs were more interested in us anyway so didn't go near the gates, but seriously, who does that? I've seen plenty of dogs at fenced off leash parks who could be straight out those gates. How selfish :mad

Thanks for the vent :)

She is gorgeous! Lol :laugh: I have a feeling SG I have met you in real life... :D I could be wrong though! All young Setters are gorgeous. And I agree with your vent SG! Setters (well, any dog, really) and the road do not mix well. People tend to assume that because a dog isn't near a gate, it has no interest in escaping... Certainly not true for many dogs and a very silly thing to assume.

I agree with the frustration levels re people's comments on 'purebred' spoodles and other crosses. It's pretty disheartening to hear the same 'hybrid/crossbred vigour' argument regularly, sometimes directed at my dogs (like they're not quite as healthy, because I know who their parents are, and their parents' parents...). Usually from people who couldn't explain the first thing about how genes work.

It's ok though. I've decided it's my mission to re-educate where I can (in the nicest possible way!) :D

I agree with the frustration levels re people's comments on 'purebred' spoodles and other crosses. It's pretty disheartening to hear the same 'hybrid/crossbred vigour' argument regularly, sometimes directed at my dogs (like they're not quite as healthy, because I know who their parents are, and their parents' parents...). Usually from people who couldn't explain the first thing about how genes work.

It's ok though. I've decided it's my mission to re-educate where I can (in the nicest possible way!) :D

We had an English Setter who lived until a few months ago and I've never met a dog with less road sense!

Despite being asked to sit at roadsides from 6 months old he never just did it without prompting in all of his almost 15 years. He would gaily barge onto the road and have to be dragged back. The most amazing dog in all other respects but a dummy on corners.

I'd love an Irish one day though....

It's all you can really do. Amazing people think your PB is less healthy because you know the lineage? What the?! How does that even compute?

LMAO I just spat my coffee lol lol

We had an English Setter who lived until a few months ago and I've never met a dog with less road sense!

Despite being asked to sit at roadsides from 6 months old he never just did it without prompting in all of his almost 15 years. He would gaily barge onto the road and have to be dragged back. The most amazing dog in all other respects but a dummy on corners.

It's all you can really do. Amazing people think your PB is less healthy because you know the lineage? What the?! How does that even compute?

:o That's my polite roundabout way of saying they usually think purebred dogs are 'inbred'. In my experience there seems to be no consideration of the fact that knowing what genes you're combining will usually (not always, of course) lead to a better (or at least predictable) outcome, as oppose to mixing two gene pools where you don't have the first idea what the outcome will be!

Setters are a classic when it comes to roads :) River I'm sure thinks, Oh! Big grey stretch of stuff to smell! Whats that thing? A car? Is there food coming in my direction, I hope so? THERE'S POSSIBLY A CAT IN A THAT BUSH. QUICK. I must run across there as fast as I can! :laugh: Gotta love them though.

:o That's my polite roundabout way of saying they usually think purebred dogs are 'inbred'. In my experience there seems to be no consideration of the fact that knowing what genes you're combining will usually (not always, of course) lead to a better (or at least predictable) outcome, as oppose to mixing two gene pools where you don't have the first idea what the outcome will be!

Setters are a classic when it comes to roads :) River I'm sure thinks, Oh! Big grey stretch of stuff to smell! Whats that thing? A car? Is there food coming in my direction, I hope so? THERE'S POSSIBLY A CAT IN A THAT BUSH. QUICK. I must run across there as fast as I can! :laugh: Gotta love them though.

What total nutters. I've known BYB puppies to be the product of very veeeeery close matings so that sounds like pot kettle to me.

That sounds exactly like Perry. Like nothing bad could, would or ever had happened to him.

I do miss him a lot. He was an incredible family dog. Mum, my brother and I see a lot of him in my FCR but one day I'll have another setter...

Edited by Steph M

eschlachter, if we met in at a dog park I wouldn't be surprised if you remembered it, my dogs tend to make themselves hard to miss. I'd be the one yelling "Quinn, down" as she throws herself at your face to kiss you, and "Riley, shush" as he spins in circles and barks his head off :o

The Setter at the park is a boy though, so not sure... He's a lovely boy, luckily I can't speak for his road sense as he didn't try to escape, he was having too much fun playing fetch with his mum :)

Ahh SG maybe not then- Riv is a girl. Nice to know there are few young IS around the area though, they're few and far between- which is silly- as Steph M and I know, Setters are just brilliant dogs! Something about their attitude to life is just infectious :D

Edited by eschlachter

Hank was a very mixed moving mulch like of a dog, I was always asked what he was and wavered between making up unlikely names to which some would wisely respond that they had heard of the "Dutch cakenpinscher" after he stole a whole cream cake. I once called him a mutt and politely enquired as to what mix the other owners dog was. She replied in a most offended voice that it was a purebred schnoodle with papers.

Seriously you can sell some people anything if you charge them enough.