What Breeds Are Most Common In Your Area?

kelpiecuddles

Lots of oodles where I live, but also heaps of border collies and golden retrievers and beagles. At the dog park when I walk in the morning there are about 10 Goldies, my two Aussies and a couple of Heinz 57.

That said, my breed is starting to take over my neighborhood. There used to be three of us (my two and another) then in the last two years about 10 other people have added an Aussie to their family- after meeting ours! All from reputable breeders too which is awesome :)

I've noticed that since I got Lili, Aussies seem to be growing in popularity. I saw one near my place the other day and actually had to look twice as I thought it was Lili in some guys car! :laugh:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm luckily that I seem to live in a community of rescue dogs/pound dogs. They'd make up maybe 30 to 40 percent of dogs.

The rest are mixes of mastiff crosses, SWFs, oodles galore and staffies and their crosses. I don't think there are many purebreds around.

We do have some lovely pedigree dogs though: GSP, Weimaraner, Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, a few Standard Poodles, Norwich Terriers, Belgian Malinios, Akita and Kirah my Aussie Terrier.

I work in a very expensive riverside suurb, and live two suburbs away in a suburb with a fair bit of state housing (but still very high median house price) - the suburb in between is also expensive riverside mansions. The dogs I see most in these three subrubs I frequent daily would be Oodles unfortunately, usually sitting bored in the yard of the mcmansions barking at passersby... the smaller ones seem to be walked frequently though

I see a lot of different dog breeds being walked around though, people are always out probably because there's a massive river to walk along, the dogs mostly look fit and healthy, and there are quite a lot of 'unusual' ones too which is nice, including:

Boston Terrier

Aussie Terrier

Frenchie

Lots of Mini Schnauzers

A few Tenties

Min Pin

A few Daxies

2 Dalmatians together

Couple of BCs

Few GRs

GSD

Shih Tzu

Boxer

A few labs

Lots of poodles, Mini Toy and Standard

Cavaliers

Great Dane (his owner walks him on a Halti with a checkered rug on - seriously looks like he's leading a pony)

Hungarian Viszla

GSP

Weimeraner

Beagles

Kelpies

And a few Kelpie X's

Surprisingly not many Staffy / bull breed types around here, the main one I've really seen is a few houses down from me.

There are more but I am struggling to remember all the dogs I've seen - there are so many being walked compared to where I used to live

Edited by pie

There's a mix here (I live in Noosa). So we have the quite yuppified, expensive areas and then just regular middle class areas. I see a lot of mini schnauzers, westies and oodles. As well as a number of staffords and their crosses, beagles, labradors and border collies. I have a friend with a Frenchie, but otherwise I see them very rarely - same with Pugs.

In my suburb, most prolific are the small terriers of the mini foxy, Jack Russell, or Aussie variety (but not of the pedigree/pure variety by the looks of them).

Followed by the small, mostly white and fluffy dogs (also of indiscriminate breeding).

For the dogs that are clearly a breed, the biggest number are the GSDs. Some of them look to be show line, others byb, and others look to be working line.

These are followed closely in number by the Border Collies.

I guess after that would be Labradors and Siberians.

There are also a few pure poodles around (mini and toy).

There rest are mainly herding mixes, pigging mixes and Staffy mixes.

Just walking around my suburb, I see mostly kelpies, border collies, staffies and their respective crosses.

Quite a few labs, then lots of small white fluffies.

A few specifics I know of: a Rottie, a standard Poodle, a Whippet, a Goldie, a Jack Russell pup and I think I've seen 2 danes.

Edited by LisaCC

Mostly lots and lots of SWF in my area... they are definitely the majority.

Other than that there are a lot of border collies, I've seen a few Great Danes, 2 Bernese Mountain Dogs, 2 Labradors, a few JRT, a lovely old Golden lives opposite my house, Westies, quite a number of oodle crosses, Beagle, 2 gorgeous Standard Poodles, an Afghan, a Corgi, couple of Staffies and their crosses, a pug or two, GSP, GSD, a Dobe, a Rottie, and quite a few random cross breeds that I can't identify.

I have the only Aussie in the area and we are very often gawked at or stopped by passersby to ask what breed she is. :o I do have to admit my stunning girl certainly stands out.

Edited by silentchild

I have the only Aussie in the area and we are very often gawked at or stopped by passersby to ask what breed she is. :o I do have to admit my stunning girl certainly stands out.

For people that have never seen them before they sure do stand out don't they!! We get stopped a lot!

around where I live mostly Jack Russell, Maltese terriers, those type of dogs, whether they're from BYB or not I don't know.

I went to two puppy schools near here, one was a class of 13(which I left after 2nd week), 5 of the pups were staffy types but we're pretty sure they all were BYB as they were talking about what they paid, their was one Rotty from show parents( I didn't see them the second week so I guess they bailed too) and the others were jack russell, and mixed breed, and one beagle, the second school was a class of 5, two were staffy types one definitely pedigree(american staff) the other BYB by the look of it.

So Lots of small dogs, and staffies i guess

In my little village right at the moment Fauves are probably the most common breed :rofl: :laugh: but only because I have two litters at the same time.

Generally speaking the most common breed here is your typical rural working dog mixed breed followed by what are called Jack Russells but realistically are just small white terriers.

In Albury generally I would say bull breed mixes, followed by short haired terrier mixes & SWF.

When I was in the Sutherland Shire recently I was GOBSMACKED by the number of Cavalier x poodles!

Mostly Pitbull crossbred types, a few Amstaffs, Rotties, SWFs, Husky/Malamute types and small terrier mix mutts. It is rare to see a purebred anything except Amstaffs and Rotties, even the odd SBT stands out as most of the mutts around here are descended from all the Pitbulls that flooded this area, so are larger than SBTs.

For people that have never seen them before they sure do stand out don't they!! We get stopped a lot!

This is true, I also get stopped with rusty a lot! But 98% of the time because he is the most beautiful "border collie" they've ever seen :laugh: but they are all happy and quite interested to learn about the Aussie :)

The breeds most common in my suburb are jack russells and their mixes,and lots of border collies!

Kelpiecuddles, how lucky you have some schippys around :D