Argh...those Pesky Ears.

Dory the Doted One

It's been so long since I've had a puppy I can't remember how long it will take her ears to stop flapping around and doing their best impression of Sister Betrille the Flying Nun. :cry:

The_Flying_Nun.jpg

I've been taping them off and on, off when they behave, on when they don't...but when should I give up all hope? WHEN can I safely breath a sigh of relief and look at Willow and go....Naaawwww....look at those pretty ears. Knowing that they are going to stay put?

She has all her adult teeth that I can see, although she does have a couple of retained puppy teeth, we shall be sorting those suckers out soon if the bones don't work.

Ideas anyone? Sympathy? Commiseration?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see the photo confused.gif

Can't offer any ideas, but you have my commiserations, Nova is having wonky teething ears too. The were beautiful for a week... then today one is sticking up!!

Perhaps those retained baby teeth might still be causing it if they are a bit wriggly?

Edited by LisaCC

I can't see the photo confused.gif

Can't offer any ideas, but you have my commiserations, Nova is having wonky teething ears too. The were beautiful for a week... then today one is sticking up!!

Perhaps those retained baby teeth might still be causing it if they are a bit wriggly?

LOL...The photo was just a picture of Sister Betrille for those Young 'uns that don't have a clue who she is. I don't have too many pictures of Willow with wonky ears...I'm too embarrassed by them. :o And I've taped them into submission.

But here is one that shows you what I mean...this is Willow relaxing at the Royal, using my daughter as a pillow.

023.jpg

You need to take for a couple of weeks Put the glue or tape on and only take it off just before you go into the ring on show day. When you are done for the day tape again and leave them taped or glued.

For a pet, I'd go a couple of weeks and then change the tape, as the ears growing and if the tape is not kept flat or becomes tight it can affect the crease.

Thankyou Everyone!

Much to her disgust she's all re-taped now and I'll be leaving it in place. I forgot how frustrating ears could be. :o

We'll love her lots no matter what, but my preference is to have 'proper' Rottie ears. She's goofy enough without having wonky ears ruining any chance of being taken seriously. :laugh:

Awwww she's gorgeous. Lots of sympathy here Dory. As people in the Aussie thread already know, I have had a frustrating battle with Luka's ears. So if it does bother you (and I totally understand if it does. Of course you love your dog no matter how wonky his ears may be but they just look so darn cute when their ears are as they should be. You bought a purebreed because you wanted it to look like it's breed presumably. Sorry getting off track :)).

So, my only advice, and my experience is limited to one dog so I am by no means an expert but I would agree with Wreckitwhippet, glue or tape for as long as you can continuously. I made the mistake of not using enough glue, i think, and Luka's ears kept coming unstuck. I am left with upsy daisy ears now he is 19 months old. I have accepted them now, although that doesn't stop me massaging his wonky one back into place when he is resting, I can't help myself :laugh:

Just so you don't feel so bad I will share some pictures.

How they are a lot of the time

lukaears4_zps7d61107f.jpg

Sometimes he just likes to wind me up :( :laugh:

Lukaears3_zpsd8e11832.jpg

Me happy :D

Lukaears5_zpsebb8db63.jpg

Awwww she's gorgeous. Lots of sympathy here Dory. As people in the Aussie thread already know, I have had a frustrating battle with Luka's ears. So if it does bother you (and I totally understand if it does. Of course you love your dog no matter how wonky his ears may be but they just look so darn cute when their ears are as they should be. You bought a purebreed because you wanted it to look like it's breed presumably. Sorry getting off track :)).

So, my only advice, and my experience is limited to one dog so I am by no means an expert but I would agree with Wreckitwhippet, glue or tape for as long as you can continuously. I made the mistake of not using enough glue, i think, and Luka's ears kept coming unstuck. I am left with upsy daisy ears now he is 19 months old. I have accepted them now, although that doesn't stop me massaging his wonky one back into place when he is resting, I can't help myself :laugh:

Just so you don't feel so bad I will share some pictures.

How they are a lot of the time

lukaears4_zps7d61107f.jpg

Sometimes he just likes to wind me up :( :laugh:

Lukaears3_zpsd8e11832.jpg

Me happy :D

Lukaears5_zpsebb8db63.jpg

LOL...Thanks Teekay. I'm loving the range of emotions Luka is able to give you with those ears. Is there hope for you?

Both of my dogs have failed ears - it's a running joke in my family :laugh: - one's should be erect but are rosebud, and one's should be button but are serious flying nun style :laugh:

I taped/glued both - but my advice is if you are going to tape or glue don't play around with them too much, just tape them and leave them for as long as you possibly can, I think all the removing tape all the time made the cartilage softer than it should be which is why they have broken ears permanently

ETA Photos:

What they used to, and are supposed to look like:

trixie3.jpg

Teething:

IMG_2226.jpg

What they look like most of the time:

148930_10151366970668257_643780468_n.jpg

Bad ear day

378738_10150420542803257_742766321_n.jpg

And what they look like at least once a day during 'crazy hour' - one stands straight up :laugh:

545047_10150988424793257_975889994_n.jpg

Edited by pie

I couldnt care less what my dogs ears look like, I actually like the wonky ones, I think they have more character :D

That's my view now - sometimes her ears correct for a short moment and I find it weird because it just isn't 'her' :laugh:

My dogs aren't show dogs though - I'd be more worried if they had crazy ears in that case!

I couldnt care less what my dogs ears look like, I actually like the wonky ones, I think they have more character :D

That's my view now - sometimes her ears correct for a short moment and I find it weird because it just isn't 'her' :laugh:

My dogs aren't show dogs though - I'd be more worried if they had crazy ears in that case!

:laugh: true. If I showed I'd care more :laugh:

When I bought my pug home he had his ears taped, and I took him to the vet for his checkup/injections and the vet (not my usual one, luckily!) was confused/horrified at what was on his ears. I explained what it was, and his response was "oh, he's from one of those people" with this sour lemon look on his face :rofl:

I have a flop eared kelpie who's ears have never really looked like they would stay up 100% of the time. They were pretty flat when I got him as a puppy and I didn't ever try and tape them, I figured I would just have to be happy with what I got.

They prick up when he is switched and flop the other 98% if the time. post-48610-137966683516_thumb.jpg

post-48610-137966529163_thumb.jpg