Argh...those Pesky Ears.

Dory the Doted One

I couldnt care less what my dogs ears look like, I actually like the wonky ones, I think they have more character :D

Not every owner shares your opinion and there are some that like their dogs have correct ears for the breed, even if it means taping or gluing in order to achieve it

And did I say anything to the contrary? People can like whatever look they want. Am I not allowed to share my opinion?

Edited by Aussie3

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awwww she's gorgeous. Lots of sympathy here Dory. As people in the Aussie thread already know, I have had a frustrating battle with Luka's ears. So if it does bother you (and I totally understand if it does. Of course you love your dog no matter how wonky his ears may be but they just look so darn cute when their ears are as they should be. You bought a purebreed because you wanted it to look like it's breed presumably. Sorry getting off track :)).

So, my only advice, and my experience is limited to one dog so I am by no means an expert but I would agree with Wreckitwhippet, glue or tape for as long as you can continuously. I made the mistake of not using enough glue, i think, and Luka's ears kept coming unstuck. I am left with upsy daisy ears now he is 19 months old. I have accepted them now, although that doesn't stop me massaging his wonky one back into place when he is resting, I can't help myself :laugh:

Just so you don't feel so bad I will share some pictures.

How they are a lot of the time

lukaears4_zps7d61107f.jpg

Sometimes he just likes to wind me up :( :laugh:

Lukaears3_zpsd8e11832.jpg

Me happy :D

Lukaears5_zpsebb8db63.jpg

LOL...Thanks Teekay. I'm loving the range of emotions Luka is able to give you with those ears. Is there hope for you?

They are very expressive. I sometimes wonder if he is trying to make up for having no tail. His ears are always the tell for if how he is feeling :laugh:

As for any hope? No I don't think so, doesn't stop me trying though, although I don't bother with the glue anymore, just massage them down when I can. I'll probably still be doing it when he's 10 :laugh:

We do hope to show Willow...hence a lot of my stress. :)

And we WILL love her anyway she comes, but in my heart, I do prefer them to be correct. :o

Have you spoken to Willow's breeder about the method that they use to tape ears? We have a method that we use which we find works very well, but it's a bit different to what other rottweiler people tend to do, and although very easy to do, it's really hard to explain :laugh: But, I can try and find a post that I made years ago explaining it, if you can't get easier to follow instructions elsewhere :)

In the meantime, keep rubbing those ears every chance you get - if you're patting Willow, straighten and massage her ears along the fold to soften it, and do this as often as you can remember to.

We do hope to show Willow...hence a lot of my stress. :)

And we WILL love her anyway she comes, but in my heart, I do prefer them to be correct. :o

Have you spoken to Willow's breeder about the method that they use to tape ears? We have a method that we use which we find works very well, but it's a bit different to what other rottweiler people tend to do, and although very easy to do, it's really hard to explain :laugh: But, I can try and find a post that I made years ago explaining it, if you can't get easier to follow instructions elsewhere :)

In the meantime, keep rubbing those ears every chance you get - if you're patting Willow, straighten and massage her ears along the fold to soften it, and do this as often as you can remember to.

No I haven't spoken to them, I've just taped them the way I was shown a very long time ago. With a broad strip of Leukoplast (seems to stick the best and for the longest) on the underside of her ear and then massaged into submission. :laugh: I'll try and get a picture tomorrow when it's daylight. But I would still like to hear how you do it.

I do massage her ears quite a bit, when she sits still long enough. I do it so much I've even been massaging Dory's ears unconsciously everytime she comes over for a pat...much to Dory's consternation. :laugh:

My very first Rottweiler (about a 1000 years ago) had the tiniest ears and somehow I managed to get them sitting just right with nothing but massage.

Wow call me uneducated but I had no idea so many different breeds had their ears taped. I knew British Bulldogs did and....that's about it! Tell me, are any pups born with naturally correct ears, and it's clear from day one (or eight weeks, or whenever) that they won't need taping? Or do all pups need taping? I'm intrigued! Sorry DTDO for hijacking.

For us taping is about providing support during teething, when the ears naturally tend to fold incorrectly. Some dogs will self correct after teething, particularly if they have larger or heavier ears, some won't and you end up with fly away ears. Support in the form of taping seems to help prevent the fold from developing to the point where it's permanent.

We don't tape all of our dogs, only those who develop a stronger fold during teething. I taped Nova only a couple of times, Neo not at all, Feonix and Radar were never taped, Enya was.

It sounds like your taping method is similar to what we do, DTDO, but we use 4 pieces of elastoplast in a cross pattern, and doubled over, which provides extra strength and support - I'll see if I can find instructions that I wrote previously, as they will probably make sense to you since you are already taping them in a similar way :)

Actually, I lie! We did tape Neo's ear for a short time, but I think he only needed one session of taping. The only reason I remember it at all is because he's my guinea pig in my taping instructions! :laugh:

DTDO - I've found my taping document, it's a PDF file - so if you let me know your email address I'll send it to you :)

I couldnt care less what my dogs ears look like, I actually like the wonky ones, I think they have more character :D

Maddie has perfect greyhound ears :laugh:

:heart:

Puck has very.........ahem....... creative ears.

they can behave sometimes.

6048331913_407a710f09_z.jpg

Admiring his reflection by kirislin, on Flickr

but at other times, well....

5022554248_c0c4841585_z.jpg

IMG_3276dpp by kirislin, on Flickr

4489161562_27de8d8240_z.jpg

Goofy ears by kirislin, on Flickr

6547806145_22fedc517d_z.jpg

IMG_7805dpptc by kirislin, on Flickr

and Tags' have a life of their own too

5159146141_f776c4a30b_z.jpg

Tag by kirislin, on Flickr

Maddie has perfect greyhound ears :laugh:

:laugh: yes stans mum I'd call Maddies ears pretty perfect too :laugh: Stan is looking as regal as ever even doing his "flying nun" impression :laugh:

Edited by BC Crazy